FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to the community

Post Date: 2011-02-15

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rdub62 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
  Quote Rdub62 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New to the community
    Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 5:58am
Coming over from AW products after having some issues over the past few years.

I have finally reached a point where I can afford an amazing machine, my only issue is when customizing options I tend to constantly run into compatibility concerns.

I am an long time MMORPG FPS , you name it I've played it.
Goals
3D/HD
Be able to play any game available, with room to upgrade in the future if needed for new games etc.
I don't want the system to overheat
I don't want to lag because of a crappy processor /ram/graphics cards.
So looking for some feed back on my selections, good or bad.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Sub-Zero Liquid Chilled Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 990X 3.46GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Player (Play Blu-Ray and Play DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: !PROMOTION: Killer 2100 (Optimized for Online Gaming) Lag and Latency Reduction
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Sub-Zero CPU Liquid Chilled System & Chipset + Dual Video Cards Liquid Cooling
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: Lamptron 30W Aluminum Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade) (FC-5V
Chassis Mods: HailStorm & 950Si: Processor & Video Card Area: Drill and Mount Two Side Window 120mm Fan Blow-Holes
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks


I'm still waiting on reply from DS, so input from you guys/gals would be greatly appreciate it.
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:17am
First thought, overkill, 12GB of ram = overkill.

2 x 580, 2 x 570 can do the same, but your res is the main thing.

1200w psu = overkill depending on your res.

killer 2100 = waste of money

upgraded fans = waste of money and loud, specially on a LC system.

Lamptron temp control, will not control all your fans and the temps are not as accurate as some freeware out there.

chassis mod = even bigger waste of money.

games don't need/use 6 cores, all you need is a quad core.

games don't really need a oc higher then 3.9GHz range, and this can be easily done with air.

so what is the res you gonna be gaming at?

Back to Top
Rdub62 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
  Quote Rdub62 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 6:06pm
  • The 12 GB ram is most because I have the habit of always running several programs at a time, itunes, game, firefox, antivirus etc. Is there a huge difference in performance from 6-8GB?
  • Most def. will be wanting get an 24"  XHD monitor @ 25:16 and be able to run on highest resolutions available. They game I will be playing the most of will be FFXIV.
  • Never had a LQ system before, so I guess I have just been hearing mixed reviews on additional fans.
  • Loudness is not a factor.
  • as for the 6 core, I thought it might be an worth the $ upgrade being I have quad core now @ 2.8 ghz, 6 gb ram, 1 x Ati Radeon HD 5670 1GB and I have issues in performance with FFXI, BFBC2, Crysis 2.
Changed a couple things from the OP.I'll strikeout what I changed after some more input.  I'll bold what I am still concerned about. By concern I mean compatibility issues? Is there better in terms of performance / quality.


  1. Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Sub-Zero Liquid Chilled Edition
  2. Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
  3. Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
  4. Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
  5. Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
  6. System Memory: 6GB DDR3 2000MHz GTX-8 Digital Storm Certified Extreme Performance (Highly Recommended)
  7. Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
  8. Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
  9. Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
  10. Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
  11. Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
  12. Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
  13. Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Player (Play Blu-Ray and Play DVDs)
  14. Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
  15. Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High speed Cable / Dsl / Network Connections)
  16. Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
  17. Add-on Card: - No Thanks
  18. Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
  19. Extreme Cooling: Sub-Zero CPU Liquid Chilled System & Chipset + Dual Video Cards Liquid Cooling
  20. H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
  21. Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
  22. Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
  23. Enhancements: - No Thanks
  24. Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
  25. Noise Reduction: - No Thanks

Back to Top
corybo7 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 26 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
  Quote corybo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 11:40pm
IMO unless you are an extremest and are wanting to OC the hell out of your RIG...then the i7 950 will do anything you want to do....

6 gigs of ram is more than you will ever need......at most a game is going to take about 3 gigs.......that leaves you with 3 gigs for all the other stuff which is plenty

The mobo can be changed to the sabertooth mobo.....unless as stated with the CPU.......you plan on OCing the hell out of your rig....the sabertooth will do what you are wanting to do with no problem....

the 1000 watt corsair PSU is plenty to run 570 or 580 in SLI....if you plan on doing TRI SLI then you will need the 1200...but if not then 1k watt is all you need.....

now as far as the GPU goes......if you are staying in the range of 1920x1080/1200 then the 570 is perfect for you......Don't really know much in this area...DST should be around soon....he can help better with the resolution question.
"Kindness is the Oil that keeps Friction out of Life" -myself
Back to Top
Rdub62 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
  Quote Rdub62 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 12:09am
I'm sorry what does "OC" mean?
Back to Top
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran


Joined: 14 Aug 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1514
  Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 12:10am
overclock
Steam:pcmaster160
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.0546875 seconds.