FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Velox Advice

Post Date: 2016-10-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
-=Doc=- View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote -=Doc=- Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Velox Advice
    Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 12:52pm
All,

I need some reality checking and advice for this Velox rig (config ID: 1511759). I was considering a new Halistorm II to replace my Hailstorm I, but kind of liked the tight and custom vibe of the Velox. I also don't think I need a complicated liquid cool machine. Primary use is gong to be gaming and some basic business apps. In addition to general advice about the build, I have some specific questions for feedback.

1. Any reason to wait for Kaby Lake and z270? I'm not in a hurry and could wait, but the performance gain is not likely to be great given my lack of interest in serious on-the-edge overclocking.

2. Any thoughts on the PSU? I added more PSU than I need at this point, but I like the Corsair and had other PSUs crap out quikly in the past.

3. Do I need a fan controller? I opted for the custom fans, but am wondering what control I gain by adding the DS fan controller vs. plugging them into the MB.

4. Thoughts on the GTX 1080 brand? I opted out of the founder edition and intot he evga version... seems like it will be easaier to pair if I add another GPU for SLI later.

5. Other thoughts?

Thanks,

Doc

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 1511759     
$3,634.00     $3,634.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (EVGA ACX 3.0) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by -=Doc=-

All,

I need some reality checking and advice for this Velox rig (config ID: 1511759). I was considering a new Halistorm II to replace my Hailstorm I, but kind of liked the tight and custom vibe of the Velox. I also don't think I need a complicated liquid cool machine. Primary use is gong to be gaming and some basic business apps. In addition to general advice about the build, I have some specific questions for feedback.

1. Any reason to wait for Kaby Lake and z270? I'm not in a hurry and could wait, but the performance gain is not likely to be great given my lack of interest in serious on-the-edge overclocking.   no.  it's a Skylake refresh.  both use 14nm transistors.  why spend more for a cpu that uses more space for an integrated gpu when all gamers use discreet graphics cards?  native support for usb 3.1?  how many 3.1 devices you running or plan to run with?  nuff said.  the only really exciting thing about it is the compatibility with the new Optane ssd tech.  if you want to wait for something, wait for Cannonlake.

2. Any thoughts on the PSU? I added more PSU than I need at this point, but I like the Corsair and had other PSUs crap out quikly in the past.  i use that psu in my rig, but i'm running 2x980ti's, you can save a couple hundred here with a good 600W-700W psu. that said, i'm happy with mine.

3. Do I need a fan controller? I opted for the custom fans, but am wondering what control I gain by adding the DS fan controller vs. plugging them into the MB.  no.  you only gain the ability to control them from the desktop app instead of having to go into the bios.  it's a convenience thing. 

4. Thoughts on the GTX 1080 brand? I opted out of the founder edition and intot he evga version... seems like it will be easaier to pair if I add another GPU for SLI later.  just make sure you have adequate case air flow.  with 2 cards you can get a dead spot between them.  might need to mount an exhaust fan that on the plexi side panel to suck out the hot air wicked away from the card by the fans.  just see how it goes, you can have DS make sure they drill the plexi for a mountable 120mm fan. 

5. Other thoughts? are you going to be using head phones, because i'm pretty sure that system is going to be fairly noisy when under load?  it's an open case with fairly loud fans. 

Thanks,

Doc

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 1511759     
$3,634.00     $3,634.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (EVGA ACX 3.0) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
-=Doc=- View Drop Down

Quote -=Doc=- Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 5:35pm
Thanks for the thoughts. On the point about fan noise... I hadn't read anything to suggest that the Velox was particularly loud, given the baseline that it's an aircooled rig. Anyone else having trouble with fan noise on the Velox?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 6:44pm
it's a perforated chassis, so...

the loudest fans are going to be coming from the graphics (under avg. gaming load probably in the 32-41db range), the case fans at 12V are 25-ish db each if memory serves.  not sure what the specs are for your cpu fan(s), but they and the psu are probably the least of your worries.  fan noise is relative and to each his own on what is considered "noisy" or "distracting".  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
-=Doc=- View Drop Down

Quote -=Doc=- Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 10:06pm
More ideas, folks? All opinions welcome.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 2:38am
A couple of thoughts...

Drop to 16gb ram, it's all you need for gaming and even that is more for most games.

Change your cooler to the Corsair H series, H115 is my pick.   The DS branded cooler only gives you their warranty, 1 year parts unless you up the warranty. The Corsair has 5 years.

The EVGA card is my pick.   You didn't mention what monitor resolution you'll be using, but gtx 1070 is great for 1080p.   A higher resolution could use the gtx 1080.

Plugging your fans into the mobo is fine for me. You can use Bios or one of the Asus mobo programs like FanXpert to control them.   

Hope this helps.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 2:50am
One thing to consider with the Velox and an H cooler is that the radiator will be mounted to the inside front.   The air coming in will be warm after passing through the rad. I'm sure DS has tested it but it's still not fresh cool air. If you opt for the LITE cooler they may be able to mount the rad under the top where it belongs. Check with them. My pick is an air cooler like Noctua, but DS has dropped it because of a higher chance of shipping damage.   The Noctua cools great, is quiet and leaves case fans alone. But we have to go with what they have.

Some don't pick up on it, but the Velox has a right facing window, hence the inverted mobo. Most have left facing windows. Your desk setup might make a difference.

Edited by bprat22 - 01 Nov 2016 at 3:06am
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 11:34am
Hey, how did you get my name?   

Also, don't know how in to sound you are, but in comparison to my 8 year old sound card in my old rig, my new one with onboard sound is not nearly as good. Surround sound in my earphones for gaming is not near as accurate as it was with a dedicated sound card. Kind of disappointed I didn't get the sound card.

Edited by Doc - 01 Nov 2016 at 11:38am
-=Doc=- View Drop Down

Quote -=Doc=- Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by db188

it's a perforated chassis, so...the loudest fans are going to be coming from the graphics (under avg. gaming load probably in the 32-41db range), the case fans at 12V are 25-ish db each if memory serves.  not sure what the specs are for your cpu fan(s), but they and the psu are probably the least of your worries.  fan noise is relative and to each his own on what is considered "noisy" or "distracting".  

Thanks for that info. I am wondering if the Hailstorm II would be way quieter. My current Hailstorm is pretty quiet, but sometimes doesn't seem to move air all that well.
-=Doc=- View Drop Down

Quote -=Doc=- Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Doc

Hey, how did you get my name?   

Also, don't know how in to sound you are, but in comparison to my 8 year old sound card in my old rig, my new one with onboard sound is not nearly as good. Surround sound in my earphones for gaming is not near as accurate as it was with a dedicated sound card. Kind of disappointed I didn't get the sound card.

Lots of "Docs" out there! Funny thing about my thinking on sound... This is the first rig I've ever spec'ed without adding a dedicated sound card. I was under the impression that the gen onboard sound was quite good for typical users. I run Creative headphones (with their own dedicated drivers) and a relatively simply speaker setup (stereo speakers plus subwoofer)
-=Doc=- View Drop Down

Quote -=Doc=- Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by bprat22

One thing to consider with the Velox and an H cooler is that the radiator will be mounted to the inside front.   The air coming in will be warm after passing through the rad. I'm sure DS has tested it but it's still not fresh cool air. If you opt for the LITE cooler they may be able to mount the rad under the top where it belongs. Check with them. My pick is an air cooler like Noctua, but DS has dropped it because of a higher chance of shipping damage.   The Noctua cools great, is quiet and leaves case fans alone. But we have to go with what they have.

Some don't pick up on it, but the Velox has a right facing window, hence the inverted mobo. Most have left facing windows. Your desk setup might make a difference.

Good point about the air cooler. I was trying to avoid the hydroluxe lite setup to save money... and it seemed a little illogical to me to go for a specifically designed aircooled rig and than add sophisticated liquid cooling.

I wasn't even thinking about the case window... nice catch. And now, of course, I'll have to decide if I care that the window will be hidden from view based on my desk setup. Sigh.
 Post Reply Post Reply