FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Velox PC Does Not Disappoint

Post Date: 2020-06-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Codeblue009 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Codeblue009 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Velox PC Does Not Disappoint
    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 11:32am
I purchased my Velox PC on April 11, 2020. The PC went into stage 1 on April 13, 2020, and was delivered to my house on June 3, 2020. I will list the specs below after the narrative. I thought about building my own PC, but time, and some laziness on my part, made my decision pretty easy to have someone else build my computer. To put things into perspective, I built my last computer in 2003 and it lasted 9 years before I bought an HP 800-600 series in 2012.
At the time I built my 2003 PC it had all the latest technology in it, and it took me some time to put it together. So, when I watched a ton of PC building videos for today’s modern water-cooled PCs, to determine whether I was still good enough to build a modern-day computer, I decided I did not want to screw things up, and started looking for a good boutique PC builder.
I have always been a big fan of Voodoo PCs, but when HP bought Voodoo, they destroyed a good company and lost the good talent and leadership they had. Hence, why I was looking for a company that reminded me of Voodoo. Now, it was not an easy decision to choose, because there are different considerations (pros and cons) of each company I was looking at, based on what I wanted. I won’t go into my deliberation, but I will share with you the companies I considered. Origin PC, Falcon Northwest, and Digital Storm. No one company gave me all that I wanted (wish list), but Digital Storm was the value sweet spot I was looking for.
Now I read the forums on customer experience with digital storm and watched the youtubers comment on their digital storm PC s. All I can comment on is about my experience with digital storm. Communication, especially during Covid-19, was important to me. So, I was pleased when I ordered the Velox, digital storm laid out its production plan with me in an email explaining the process for production. At that moment I understood it takes 6 to 8 weeks to build my computer.
Now, I was not in a hurry for the PC, since my 8-year-old HP was still running. Full disclosure, I never upgraded any of the parts in the HP, and working from home made me realize, that my HP was a slow dinosaur that could not play any games that came out after 2017. My Nvidia GTX 645 was not able to play games like Anno 1800 and others. Yes, I know I could have upgraded my video card, but with working on CAD files, redlining designs in Adobe, working on video rendering, uploading and downloading 5 Gig files, it was time to get a new PC. My work laptop was an Envy Gaming Laptop, the last design that the original Voodoo team made for HP, so I hadn’t really used my desktop in some time.
Digital Storm updated me via email when all production stages were starting. I did talk to the technical team to make some changes to the build (stage 2), and they were very helpful with their actual experience utilizing some of the newer technology. It made my decision very easy to make some changes at this stage.
Fast forward to today, June 5,2020. It has only been a day and a half that my Velox has been running. My monitor, which was also purchased when I purchased to Velox, is an LG 38GL950G. I hate setting up a new rig. All of the programs and software you have to reinstall, and the new LG IPS monitor has additional software that is recommended to install, takes so much of your time. Nevertheless, I digress. The Velox arrived with no shipping issues and all the components I requested were installed professionally. This machine is truly a work of art, the way the cable management was installed, the AIO positioned in the case, and the corsair RGB fans and lighting functioning. Now, I probably should not have turned on the RGB feature, because my 3-year-old now can’t keep his hands of my Velox. LOL.
Overall, I think I got great value from my purchase of the Velox. This machine with the 3950X AMD Ryzen processor is handling multiple applications with no issues, unlike my HP with a quad core I-7. Adobe programs are running much faster than previously on my old HP, as to be expected. The RTX 2080 Super married with this monitor, is incredible. Best decision I made there. Games really stand out now, such as Civilization 6 and Anno 1800. I am very pleased with my purchase from digital storm and I would definitely buy another PC from digital storm. Good luck to all of you waiting for your PC.

Config ID:      Configuration Name:                                                               

DSO-2132618 Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3043694                                              
                                                                1 $4,672.00
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: -
Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16-Core) 4.7 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe) Storage Set 2: 1x
SSD M.2 (2TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe) Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No
Maintenance) HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid
cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system
selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension
Cables) Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (1x Board) Chassis Mods:
- No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking Graphics: - No Thanks, Please
do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install) Virus Protection:
Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks Mouse Pad: - No Thanks Display: - No Thanks Surge Shield: - No Thanks Speakers:
- No Thanks Keyboard: - No Thanks Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed Warranty:
Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (
141815            -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $400                                  
                                                      1 ($400.00)
Sub-Total: $4,272.00 Tax (0%): $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Grand Total: $4,272.00

Edited by Codeblue009 - 05 Jun 2020 at 12:31pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:17pm
Congratulations and thank you for the review. Awesome
Enjoy. Big%20Smile

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:45pm
Out-bloody-standing! Thank you for your review and let the games begin.   
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 1:13pm
I kinda hate setting up a new rig too and have been working on mine this week. I hate that Microsoft doesn't have HomeGroup supported any longer. I also hate setting up and customizing my Outlook program inside of Office 365. I still don't have it right and just may find an Outlook expert and pay for some help instead of beating my head against the wall.

I did get my image backup program installed and now have a backup on a partition on the 3 TB HDD inside the case. Every few weeks I'll do a backup to an external drive.

Have fun with your rig. I am also enjoying mine.

BTW, I have the LG 27GL850 that I bought for this machine. I need to calibrate it since it is a "hot" display for now. I also need to get into the display's menu and look it over. Right now I am simply plug-and-play using the DisplayPort.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 3:36pm
Share some photos!
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Alex

Share some photos!
I concur. Awesome

Quote Codeblue009 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by John18

I kinda hate setting up a new rig too and have been working on mine this week. I hate that Microsoft doesn't have HomeGroup supported any longer. I also hate setting up and customizing my Outlook program inside of Office 365. I still don't have it right and just may find an Outlook expert and pay for some help instead of beating my head against the wall.

I did get my image backup program installed and now have a backup on a partition on the 3 TB HDD inside the case. Every few weeks I'll do a backup to an external drive.

Have fun with your rig. I am also enjoying mine.

BTW, I have the LG 27GL850 that I bought for this machine. I need to calibrate it since it is a "hot" display for now. I also need to get into the display's menu and look it over. Right now I am simply plug-and-play using the DisplayPort.

You are so right John about Office. I just went ahead and installed my paid version of Office Professional 2016. If my wife didn’t get on me about putting the PC together, it would have sat for a long time...lol..

My next step is to backup the primary drive to the 2TB mechanical drive and keep the second NVMe as storage.

I did not experience any issues with my LG. I got the two recommended LG software, and changed the windows display setting, then the monitors, and it looks and feels amazing. It took about 15 minutes to do all of that. I have no heat issues at all from the monitor and the internal fan is so quiet, I can’t hear it at all.

Thanks John and I hope you enjoy yours and the weekend.

Quote Codeblue009 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Originally posted by Alex

Share some photos!
I concur. Awesome

John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 4:23pm
Here are three views of my new computer, but you may not have been asking me. Clearly these are a Lumos, not a Velox.

Edited by John18 - 05 Jun 2020 at 4:32pm

Quote Codeblue009 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 5:40pm
Very nice indeed! I probably should have gone with a smaller case. The Velox is a beast and heavy.

Edited by Codeblue009 - 05 Jun 2020 at 5:41pm
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 6:09pm
Mine is also heavy with all the tempered glass. Heck the shipping weight was 50 lbs. But it is gorgeous and a beast, especially comparing the i7-9700K to my prior i7-4770K.

The truth of it is that I was buying a new machine for capabilities and it is the first time in five years that I have spent any money from my business account on me, and have never taken a paycheck. It was my wife who said go for the bling factor too.

Can you take a couple of photos of the inside of your case?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 3:38am
Love it guys, thanks so much!!

@Codeblue009: Love the Firecuda all NVMe storage solution. You rock, Brother!

Quote Codeblue009 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 11:32am
Originally posted by John18

Mine is also heavy with all the tempered glass. Heck the shipping weight was 50 lbs. But it is gorgeous and a beast, especially comparing the i7-9700K to my prior i7-4770K.

The truth of it is that I was buying a new machine for capabilities and it is the first time in five years that I have spent any money from my business account on me, and have never taken a paycheck. It was my wife who said go for the bling factor too.

Can you take a couple of photos of the inside of your case?

Rule number one, Always listen to the wife!!!! Rule number two, always follow rule number one. :-)

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 4:58am

Quote Codeblue009 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:13am
Hi Guys, I hope all of you had a good weekend. I just wanted to let you know that I installed HW Monitor to monitor my component temperature in my case ( I can't get iCUE to work for some reason). 99% of all my temperatures are 40 degrees Celcius or below (very pleased about this). There is one component that is reading 80 degrees Celcius, TMPINA4. Can anyone tell me what this component is? Is the temperature normal for this component? I greatly appreciate it.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Codeblue009

Hi Guys, I hope all of you had a good weekend. I just wanted to let you know that I installed HW Monitor to monitor my component temperature in my case ( I can't get iCUE to work for some reason). 99% of all my temperatures are 40 degrees Celcius or below (very pleased about this). There is one component that is reading 80 degrees Celcius, TMPINA4. Can anyone tell me what this component is? Is the temperature normal for this component? I greatly appreciate it.

Possibly unconnected sensors.

Check out this.

Quote Codeblue009 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:35am
Thanks John. That was it.
 Post Reply Post Reply