Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Johnhop View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Johnhop Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Velox Questions
    Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 11:37am
1. Your Budget: Under 5000. tower only, dont need mouse/kb/monitor

2. Expectations: What do you expect and want this new computer to have and do? Hello, I am looking to order a new gaming rig soon, I like the Velox case. Was planning to do the ultimate config but wondering if i get the 13900k would the noctura airflow be enough? Or should I get the all in one liquid? Ive never done liquid cooling before, built my own prev couple machines and did air cooling. Or should I just get a i7 instead and get air cooling? I want to game on max settings with no issues on my 2550x1440 240hz  curve monitor. Are you looking to create a triple monitor NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround setup? no

3. Usage: How are you planning to use this computer? gaming mainly. currently play WoW and everything bethesda, like fallout/elder scrolls/starfield cant play starfield on my current rig, its too old and stutters bad. my current rig is almost 8 years old

4. Special Needs
I was thinking the samsung 980 1tb for os drive, and a samsung 2tb 990 for storage, where all games will be installed. or should i do the 990 for both. i dont like to have games installed on same drive as os

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-13900K (5.7 GHz Turbo) (32-Thread) (24-Core) 3.0 GHz (Raptor Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z790-P D5 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z790 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR5)
System Memory: 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 4090 24GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black (Extreme Performance) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Turbo Boost Technology
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Johnhop - 28 Sep 2023 at 11:46am
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 6:01pm
Here are my thoughts:

• Air cooling with the Noctua NH-D15 is pretty amazing. I used to be a liquid cooling guy, but now I'm running a Velox with 100% air cooling, and it's great. That being said, I'm not an expert on the latest Intel CPUs. My gut feeling is that Noctua would be fine. I'm hoping some other experts here in the forum will chime in.

• 32GB of RAM is perfect. It's a little too much for gaming, but it's not crazy-excessive, and it will last you for many years. 64GB would be way too much.

• The RTX 4090 is more than you need if you're gaming at 1440p resolution. I have an ultrawide 38" monitor with a resolution of 3840 x 1600. It has 1.7x more pixels than your monitor, and it runs REALLY fast with the 4090. You could save yourself some money, and go with a lesser GPU. However, if you plan on upgrading to a 4K monitor, or a large ultrawide monitor, the 4090 might be nice (not required though.)
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
NubbyShober View Drop Down

Quote NubbyShober Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 2:12pm
Coupla' thoughts:

1) 32 GB RAM is good; 64GB better imo. If you play heavily modded Skyrimn and FO4, including even a 48GB-size Pagefile (setting >48GB of SSD as virtual RAM) is normal.

2) Dunno about air cooling for such a hefty CPU. Consolation is that if you even suspect you're having overheating issues, you can regularly check fan+temp readouts in the BIOS--which gives super precise info. If necessary you can add watercooling later.

3) My recent Velox (shipped last month) build settled on a Ryazan 7950X3D and an RTX4070Ti--with the GPU slightly bottlenecking the CPU. Didn't go for a monster card only because it would've pushed me up into a higher PSU (1200w), that would've overly stressed the circuit breaker in my gaming room during summer months.

4) Definitely go with a 4TB SSD for your primary. Especially if you play your games modded. My 4TB disk is already 33% full from just Skyrim and FO4, and 2 other smaller games. In hindsight, I would've gotten an additional 2TB SSD for just the mod downloads.
"Get out of it before you get into it"
-Frank Zappa
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 8:00am
For gaming, the 13900k is way too much. The perfect Gaming CPU is presently the i5-13600. This is not a typical i5 proc. If you don't believe me, read the reviews. If you don't believe them, get the i7-13700.

Agree with JamesAstro on RAM. IDK what that special use for 64GB is that was talked about, but I am extremely sceptical it could possibly be worth your money. I think your storage selections are being influenced by the kinda funky sizes offered right now. Your idea is good. The 990 is kind of overkill for games library, but the price is no outrage. It seems it would be way too large for your primary drive, and not that much better.

Downgrade the CPU and The Noctua is your cooler.

Your GPU should be the 4070 Ti. Save yourself >$1000 and get the appropriate card for your use.   
NubbyShober View Drop Down

Quote NubbyShober Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 5:07pm
Pagefile size requirements for hefty Fallout4 and SkyrimAE modlists just keeps growing. It's now 48-60GB! Of extra virtual system memory needed on top of 32GB Random Access Memory. Only a few years ago 16GB RAM was considered sufficient.

I'm not an engineer, and don't know for a fact that 64GB vs. 32GB RAM currently makes a performative difference with games like FO4 when heavily modded. But considering how RAM bus speed continues to increase, and RAM capacity requirements for games only increases, I put my money on 64GB. At least to prevent RAM capacity becoming a bottleneck.

In 3 years when the Starfield DLC's are out and the modding community has produced a ton of excellent content, who knows how much virtual system and RAM memory will suffice?

"Get out of it before you get into it"
-Frank Zappa
Johnhop View Drop Down

Quote Johnhop Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 10:24am
so I have been doing a lot of research and decided to go ryzen 7800x3d. which is being touted as a great gaming cpu, and wont bottleneck a 4090. Also I have a 1440 240hz monitor for now, but plan to get a 4k one soon. I think this looks like a good build for my needs.

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (8-Core) 5.0 GHz Turbo (3D V-Cache) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: MSI PRO X670-P (Wi-Fi) (AMD X670) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (DDR5)
System Memory: 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (4TB Kingston Fury Renegade) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 4090 24GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Triple Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Technology
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows)
Office: - No Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply