FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New VR build...help!

Post Date: 2019-11-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hispeed7721 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hispeed7721 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New VR build...help!
    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 6:35pm
Budget:
<$3000...I'd like to keep it around $2500 but I am willing to pay for quality and capability where its needed. I do not need to get anything other than the PC itself.

Expectations:
VR build, minor non-vr gaming

Usage:
99% VR usage (HTC Vive Pro), some other relatively basic PC games (no MMOs planned at the moment). Display will be a plasma TV

Special Needs:
Wondering about people with pets...I have a dog and cat that produce a decent amount of fur/dust. How do you guys keep your systems from getting clogged up?

Saved Ticket #: My digital storm configuration code is: 2729502

Specifications:
Here is the load out that I put together on digital storm:

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

Thank you for any advice y'all can provide!
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 10:39pm
Welcome to the forum hispeed7721!

The answer to your pet question....Do not locate your pc on the floor.   Long as you keep it up on a desktop, you shouldn’t have any more dust or pet hair than anyone else.   You just have to keep your fans, filters and case cleaned regularly to maintain max airflow.

HTC Vive doesn’t have very demanding minimum specs, and you will be 1080P out to your old plasma so that’s not very demanding either.   You are on overkill with the CPU and 32 GB RAM, and just adequate with the entry level RTX 2060 Super GPU.    Nothing wrong with overkill if affordable for you, but say you are on a budget...so you could go with 16 GB RAM for now (add more later yourself). and drop to an equally strong gaming I7-9700K 8-core Overclocked CPU and then you could move up to at least the stronger midrange RTX 2070 Super GPU to output smoother frames to a better future monitor at 1440P/ 2K when you are ready.    

Suggest you change your Drive1 selection.    You have a 1TB Samsung SATA III SSD selected.    Move up to a 5X faster 1 TB Samsung Evo 970 M.2 NVME SSD.   M.2 NVME SSD use the faster PCIE video bus and your mobo has two M.2 ports.

Suggest you upgrade to the better quality Corsair H100i. 240mm AIO CPU Cooler...stronger Stage2 cooling performance and longer Corsair warranty.
DS parts only carry a 1 yr warranty. Would allow for a stronger Stage 2 Overclock on the CPU if you wish (+99) to max CPU performance.

Also suggest dropping the DS Air Control board and upgrade to the better Corsair LL Series fan kit as it comes with a Corsair Fan Expert Pro control module that would allow you to sync all your Corsair RGB components like Vengeance RAM + LL fans and peripherals too like Corsair RGB mouse or Corsair RGB keyboard using iCUE software.   Corsair LL fans have a better 2 yr warranty.

We do not recommend Overclocking the GPU on air cooling alone, nor tweaking Windows as selected.

FYI...Were you to make all changes I mentioned, it would look like this:

Lynx build2. Config # 2729954. $2797 minus DS Sale $200 off = $2597 total

See what you think, but end result here would be a stronger gaming rig.    
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 5:37am
Spot on advice. Agree on all counts.
hispeed7721 View Drop Down

Quote hispeed7721 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 7:40am
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Welcome to the forum hispeed7721!
Also suggest dropping the DS Air Control board and upgrade to the better Corsair LL Series fan kit as it comes with a Corsair Fan Expert Pro control module that would allow you to sync all your Corsair RGB components like Vengeance RAM + LL fans and peripherals too like Corsair RGB mouse or Corsair RGB keyboard using iCUE software.   Corsair LL fans have a better 2 yr warranty.

Thanks for the help, and the detailed explanation!

One question about the fans...the case that I chose (Digital Storm Lynx) says that it can take 3 x 120mm fans OR 2 x 140mm fans on the front and only 1 x 120mm fan on the back.

If I switch to the Corsair LL fan kit, those are 140mm...so is it ok only having 2 x 140mm fans on the front vs having 3 x 120mm fans? And will they be able to mount a 140mm fan on the back, or will that just stay a "stock" 120mm fan?

Thanks again for all the help!
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 11:24am
My pleasure!   We just want you to get the best build and best components possible.

The Lynx case can take 3x 120mm fans or 2x 140mm case fans in front, and one 120mm rear exhaust case fan.    The Corsair LL fan kits come in 120mm or 140mm sizes and DS will use the ones they need for your case mounts and chosen CPU cooler radiator.

If you use the Corsair H100i 240mm AIO Cooler, they will mount it on front and use 3 x 120mm Corsair LL fans in front and 1 x Corsair 120mm LL fan as rear exhaust.   

If you choose the larger Corsair H115i 280mm AIO cooler, then they would use 2 x 140mm Corsair LL fans in front and 1 x 120mm Corsair LL fan as rear exhaust.

If you were to change the build to a larger Lumos case, that case takes 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm fans in front, 2 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm on top, and 1 x 120mm rear exhaust fan.   That means a radiator of either 240mm or 280mm size has options...can mount on top or in front in the larger roomier Lumos case.

Post Reply Post Reply