Noctua fans and shipping?

Post Date: 2023-02-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gdead65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gdead65 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noctua fans and shipping?
    Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 4:30pm
about to retire my Apollo aftger 6 yrs. After a horrid RMA experience VOWED never to go back to DS

Before i jump to an overpriced company- has the shipping improved? i see that noctua fans are offered and i love em.... those are big and heavy.

game on
Apollo i7-7700 1070
Ordered: 2-12-17
Stage 1: 2-14-17
Stage 2 & 3: 2-16-17
Stage 4 & 5: 2-21-17
Stage 6: 2-23-17
Stage 7: 2-25-17
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:22am
Shipping is shipping.... it's a crap shoot. MOST PCs will arrive unharmed, but there are those that catch the grumpy loader here and there that just love to kick things they think are expensive.

That has nothing to do with a custom pc builder, hence it's why so many, including DS, document that the PC left there place in perfect working order. This aides them when they have to try and re-coop money from those that handled the package once it left DS.

Has it improved since your last experience? I doubt it, if anything, at least in my mind, it has gotten worse.
Old Gamers Never Die!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 4:36am
One of the reasons I chose DS almost a dozen years ago was that their address (at that time) was less than 30 miles from me and I could drive over to pick up the machine. Spending most of my adult life in the 'moving things around' sector of society has left a dark, bitter and foul taste in my mouth.

Having said that, Digital Storm has moved another 30-40 miles futher from me. When it comes time for my new machine I will be standing in their delivery bay to pick it up again.

There is only so many things you can do to protect yourself from shippers and it seems that Digital Storm does them. Fully documented (with pictures) proof of functionality prior to shipping, to filing claims for damage and mishandling, etc etc. Yet and still, the RMA process, to maintain a bilateral fairness both to the customer and to the builder, can be a bit harsh. What needs to change is that shippers need to be held more responsible for damage. Remove damage penalty caps and initiate 3x, 4x or even 5x damage claim penalties for repeatedly damaging goods. Having FedEx/UPS etc pay penalties of $10k+ for damaging a Lynx, or $50k for an Aventum, would certainly change things. (Mostly the cost of shipping things, I'm not completely daft.) But I digress.

Has it improved? It's still a crap-shoot every time. Is it DS's fault? No. Is it yours? No.

It is what it is.    
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 7:42am
IIRC, Alex mentioned damage rates ~ 1%. I won't shoot craps against such long odds, but the risk is definitely not 0. I have nothing bad in 3 tries to report, and the complaints we hear on the Forum are rare. All I got.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 1:34pm
Give us a fair chance; I'm sure you will be happy with the purchase. We're always working on ways to protect our PCs when we ship them; we have learned a lot over the last 6 years since you ordered from us.
 Post Reply Post Reply