FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noctua NH-D15 Now as an Option for Ryzen Builds

Post Date: 2022-10-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Spartacii View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartacii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noctua NH-D15 Now as an Option for Ryzen Builds
    Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 1:27pm
I know that one can ask DS to special order an air cooler (I have done so myself in the 7 systems that I have gotten from DS in the last 12 years) but nevertheless, with both Artic & Enermax ealier this year & Fractal just recently "recalling" some of their AIOs, I'm glad that DS is including a high-end air cooler, the Noctua  NH-D15 as an option for Ryzen based builds for clients like me who prefer air coolers.
Intel i7-12700K
Nvidia RTX 3090

AMD Ryzen 5900X
AMD Radeon 6800XT
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 4:00pm
That is great, might help me decide to buy a new computer
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 4:25pm
Hmmm, it is an option on the builds I checked, Intel included. Something made DS change. AIOs not being as durable?

Let's see the shipping images!
Spartacii View Drop Down

Quote Spartacii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Hmmm, it is an option on the builds I checked, Intel included. Something made DS change. AIOs not being as durable?

Let's see the shipping images!

Oh! I totally missed that it was also an option for Intel builds until you mentioned it and your right. I thought they were only an option for AMD builds.

Yeah, I wonder why the change of heart too.
DS and other boutique System Integrators stopped promoting air coolers as an option a few years ago because of the hassle of RMAs due to air coolers being too heavy and sometimes dislodging during transport and shipping.

I got my first DS system back in 2010, which I passed down to family.
It has this massive two fans/two towers ugly brown Noctua cooler and 12 years later, it is still running strong, it has never failed nor needed any maintenance, not even had to change a single fan.
No AIO is going to give me the reliability, longevity and peace of mind of a good air cooler.  
Intel i7-12700K
Nvidia RTX 3090

AMD Ryzen 5900X
AMD Radeon 6800XT
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 6:15pm
Maybe they did some research and/or testing and found a good way to protect them during shipping.

Edited by Nomad1970 - 04 Oct 2022 at 6:28pm
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
Spartacii View Drop Down

Quote Spartacii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 6:35pm
I noticed last month when I put something in my cart, that they no longer offer LTL Freight as a shipping option like they used to but regular Ground instead.

Now that they offer high end air coolers again, I wish that they also offered LTL Freight and AMD GPUs (although you can special order them) and for them to paint your case with automotive paint like they used to 10-12 years ago.
Intel i7-12700K
Nvidia RTX 3090

AMD Ryzen 5900X
AMD Radeon 6800XT
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 11:58pm
I had two liquid-cooled systems from DS for about 12 years. The first one had a pump failure after about 5 years. The second one started to leak after about 5 years, and now I have a permanent red stain on my carpet.

For my latest Velox build (purchased about a year ago), I decided to get a Noctua DH-15S cooler. DS was willing to do that since I'm a local customer, and I was picking it up in person. I would never go back to liquid cooling. The DS-15S is super quiet, and I never see my CPU temperature exceed 70C. I've never had such a cool and quiet computer!

Anyway, I'm glad to see they are allowing high-end air coolers again. This is great news.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 5:19am
My Corsair 115i AIO has performed flawlessly for over 4 1/2 years of constant use 24/7. However, I'm anticipating that it will eventually fail, and that will not be a happy day here. I had a Noctua in my first DS that also performed flawlessly, but for almost 8 years before I retired the rig, also 24/7 operation. I will be getting a Noctua if available for my next build.   
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 8:53am
The Noctua in the first DS rig I purchased has been running for nearly 12 years now. No repairs, no intensive maintenance, just cleaning it. I was always a vocal opponent of the removal of the broad selection of air coolers DS used to offer without special orders. I will definitely take this small victory. Hahaha

Nothing against liquid cooling setups, especially AIOs, but for my purposes I have never had any reason to want anything other than air cooling.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 9:06am
Noctua Rocks.  Nothing to fail, no updates, just a fan that AIO also have.  When and if my AIO fails, the Noctua is a no brainer. 

Are they bulky looking? Yes, but looks good to me. 

I never bought into the shipping damage reason as to why they were dropped years ago.   We saw many more water cooling setups get damaged than Noctua. 

Big%20Smile
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 4:25pm
I had a V8 air cooler with two fans on my 12 year old i7 OCed to 3.0Ghz system. It was great but I simply forgot how critical it is to remove the fans in order to clean the inner fins as needed.

The V8 was clean from the outside but little did I realize that the inner fins were dirty till the fan burnt out by over speeding. Kind of like sticking your hand over a hair blower output and it speeds up instead of slowing down.

Well, it wasn't that big of a deal since all I had to do was to replace the fan with some minor surgery and remember in the future to remove the fans as needed before the inner fans get too dirty.

Little screws way inside where you could barely see them. More time was spent searching for dropped screws than getting it back together.

So far I really like the AIO on my new system shown in the sig block. The only problem was an odd sound after several months that was resolved by reducing the pump speed a tad after consultation with the Forum Wizards.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
 Post Reply Post Reply