Noisy AIO Pump

Post Date: 2022-02-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noisy AIO Pump
    Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 9:53am
Last night the AIO pump suddenly started to make noise that it didn't do before. Not overly loud but definitely hear it pumping which I didn't hear before.

Everything seemed to be running OK since I was just watching YouTube videos when the noise started. I then decided to run a CPU benchmark and see if my CPU temp was going to go crazy high.

I ran Cinebench R23 Multicore for about 10 minutes which caused 100% CPU utilization on all cores and the temperature never went over 64C. As soon as the benchmark was over it went immediately back to the idling temperature of 36C.

The AIO pump speed is running at about 2200 RPM and all other stats seem good and the system seems to be running like normal other than the louder than normal sound in the AIO pump that developed last night that won't go away. It had been very quiet since I got it a few months ago.

The Cinebench score was 20,821 compared to the 20,782 supposed identical system.

I had taken the side cover off to verify which item was making the noise. I also notice that if I push slightly on the AIO pump that it changes the sound ever so slightly.

I wonder if anybody else has had this experience. I would really hate to have to send the system back or figure out how to do the surgery to change the AIO out myself.

I am hoping the noise diminishes or I get used to it since it is annoying. I hate to think that this is the sign the AIO is getting ready to die and ruin my good times I have been having with the new computer.

I have the Velox-X case so the case was cold to the touch even during the Cinebench benchmark. My system case never seems to get warm unless I am pushing the 3080 in GPU intensive games on Ultra and then any heat is exhausted very effectively.

Oh well, maybe I will say a little prayer and the AIO pump will get healed and this all can be marked up to a bad AIO pump day.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 2:40pm
Hi Onkel.    Pumps are like the old hard drives with spinning platters…..when they start making noise it’s a sign of issues as you fear.    It could stay like that indefinitely or die tomorrow.   Anybody’s guess.    

I would definitely consider changing it yourself if it dies.   Shipping pc is a risk in itself.   Not a bad task, just taking your time removing a few screws, and reapplying thermal paste. Although the cooler might ship pre-pasted. Just clean off the old.

Good luck and hope it stays as is for some time.

Bill
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 4:02pm
Oh no, one of the AIOs failings!  Frustrated

Hopefully just transitory and not a full failure preview. They are very easy to r&r (the hardest part is cleaning the cpu, applying the thermal paste and installing the new cooler, I learned from the best here above me Strong ). The rest just goes as it was.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Good luck.

Edited by hoserator - 13 Feb 2022 at 4:04pm
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 4:05pm
Maybe air bubbles made their way to the pump.

How to: Fix rattling or bubbling sounds in AIO cooler | Corsair

To me, logically, steps 2 and 3 should be swapped. But I am not a liquid cooled PC veteran and perhaps you should just follow the instructions by the company that sells such components.

• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 4:15am
Ugh. I'm new to them too, but mine is 4yo and fine. I'd find a local place to fix it before I'd ever send it anywhere if I didn't think I could handle it. You could take the opportunity to go Noctua....   
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 7:34am
Try turning down the AIO RPM to about 80% or so of max and see if the noise goes away. My DS branded AIO that I got on my system a year ago started making noises a month or so after I got it and turning down the RPM a bit cleared it up.
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 7:36am
Check out these two old threads too:
https://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/need-help-identifying-this-noise-tidf55230/

https://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/radiator-noise-normal-tidf53549/
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 9:24am
God bless you all for your support and concern. Obviously, I have been in a funky mood the last couple days because of the issue. It was bad timing to have a problem since I just finished putting up 41 videos on my "Ken Wigger" YouTube channel.

Well, now the wonderful news!!!!!!

ealderson's suggestion with links to turn the fan down to 80% WORKED!!!!!!

The pump noise went away totally. At first I thought the pump stopped but it had just decreased from 2200RPM to 1920RPM. I went in my MSI BIOS and set it to Smart Fan Mode, Set at DC instead of PWM, set it so that it ran at 80% constantly. This resulted in a voltage shown of 9.6V for the pump at these settings. I can't hear the CPU pump at all anymore, absolutely quiet!!!

I ran Cinebench R23 Multi-Core for about 20 minutes which loads all 24 processor cores at 100%. It never went over 64C which I am happy with since that was what I had been getting on past runs. The idle temperature is about 37C.

Thanks to bprat22, hoserator, MrCheetah, Cretae, and of course ealderson for the suggestions & concern!

So nice to have a quiet, cool to the touch, & fun to use computer system again!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for making this a wonderful day!!!!!!!!!!

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 9:31am
Very cool that worked.. I haven't tested it as exhaustively as you have, but just my casual observation hasn't shown the 100% > 80% drop made any noticeable change to proc temps. I can't remember what mine was before (probably 2200 or so based on the 20% reduction), but now it runs around 1880-1900 and is completely silent. Your temps are better than mine...my idle temp is around 45C or so (5950X in a Lumos).

Edited by ealderson - 14 Feb 2022 at 9:31am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 11:29am
Glad it worked. Now you know you can't run it at 100%. It might be cavitation at those speeds.

Enjoy.

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 12:12pm
hoserator,

My AIO configuration came preset to 100%. I'm under the impression a lot of AIOs come set up that way by the builders. I know I am glad that the racket went away when I reduced it to 80% and the temperatures are as good as they were at 100%.

The noise was hard to describe. It wasn't bubbly or anything. It was just an extremely rapid putt putt sound that didn't change. It wasn't that loud but I knew there was something wrong.

I am so thankful for the Digital Storm Forum and its members! I was helped when I was trying to configure my new system a few months ago and the help with the AIO issue today was a big deal to me and put a big smile on my face.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 1:05pm
Congrats.         Now you can sit back and enjoy your gaming without a noisy pump on your mind.

Have fun
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 1:44pm
Didn't mean to say you set it up to run at 100%, just that yours will not without some noise. You can use CPUID HWMonitor to keep tabs on temps in real time.

Game on.
Smile
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 2:21pm
hoserator,

I had CPUID HWMonitor running and started watching it in a separate window after the noise started. I was scared to leave the computer room with the computer running while the noise was happening. I was watching the temperatures like a hawk worried they were going to spike and zap out the CPU.

I have the full 5 year labor/3 year parts warranty so I should be good for a while even if something God forbid fails.

I was really lucky with my 12 year old Digital Storm system. The Coolermaster V8 CPU air cooled fan failed after about 10 years and was an easy cheap fix. It wouldn't have failed if I would have realized that I should have taken the fan out of the massive cooling fins enclosure to clean the inner fins that clogged up over speeding the fan. Wasn't that easy getting that fan out with the tiny screws right almost against the motherboard.

Replaced the fan and the old beast is still gaming using its OCed 3.0Ghz i920 & an original Titan GPU. It is an old friend that I will keep an cherish as it ages.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 3:08pm
You don't have to worry about any heat damage if the pump ever fails because the system will shut down automatically before the cpu fries.
Smile
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by hoserator

You don't have to worry about any heat damage if the pump ever fails because the system will shut down automatically before the cpu fries.
Smile

I set my AIO fan curve to go up to 100% if the cpu gets too hot so in effect using the loud AIO as an early warning signal that things are getting too warm.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 6:28pm
Digital Storm Forum has the absolutely best members!!!!!!!!!

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 11:36pm
I have the pc lights set on temp and that way I keep track. Great visual. (also have HWMonitor and Corsair Link on in a second monitor for details).
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 2:48am
Happy for you, Ken!   
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 8:47am
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 8:50am
Originally posted by hoserator

I have the pc lights set on temp and that way I keep track. Great visual. (also have HWMonitor and Corsair Link on in a second monitor for details).

I setup a stat screen running AIDA64 so I can just glance over at the case for temps, fan speeds, etc. My first screen (cheap Raspberry PI monitor from Amazon) died after only a month or two, but the current one seems to be holding up ok. I tried playing God of War on it the other day which was kind of fun for about 30 seconds. I dunno why so many people game on phones...the screen size kills it for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply