FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noisy Computer / Fans

Post Date: 2020-12-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FireCommander34 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FireCommander34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noisy Computer / Fans
    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 9:16am
Hey all,

3 months ago I received my DS Lynx with the stage 2 Cooling option. It was fairly quiet from the get go, but there was an odd rattling. This went away when I used the provided remote control and hit "Fan+" a few times. The fans would speed up, but the rattling went away, so I didn't think much of it.

Over the last week or so, computer noise has gone up substantially. That rattling still happens upon "Fan-", but now there is a constant loud humming that is pretty unbearable. I don't think its a fan, I've cleaned them out and they all seem to be spinning fine. Something to do with the liquid cooling system perhaps? Its supposed to be a fully sealed system, so I don't think I can check / add fluid?

I really don't want to have to ship this back to DS and be out of service for a few weeks. Appreciate any insight.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 10:55am
You may want to look into a phenomenon known as "coil whine".

The rattling shouldn't happen at all, and may suggest one of your fans isn't completely screwed down. It could also be a bad bearing in one of the fans. You could check on this by stopping each fan briefly with a finger to see if one of them is responsible. It's east to install a new fan which DS will happily send you.

The new "humming" could be coming from the all-in-one, but I might have expected that to be present before now. "Coil whine is recognizable by its high pitched sound. It can be described as a high frequency electronic buzzing, hissing or squealing or scratching noise." If it's like that, it could be coming from your GPU.

This article might be helpful if you suspect coil whine;

https://clevercreations.eu/what-is-coil-whine-how-to-fix/#What_does_coil_whine_sound_like

Check that out if it applies. In any case, DS and their warranty are involved, so you will get expert help from them. It's not too tricky to perform any of the fixes yourself, or have a friend help, so you may not need to send the computer back.

Hope it helps.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 11:10am
JayzTwoCents just talked about "Coil Whine" and showed it in his all AMD build he just did. Combined the 5950X with the 6800XT, water cooled. Said the water cooled 6800 makes it even louder.

If you want to hear what that might sound like of just see the AMD build he did, it's sweet, head over here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnA_76lP7F8
That is part one, the coil whine he demonstrates in part 3.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 24 Dec 2020 at 11:11am
Old Gamers Never Die!
FireCommander34 View Drop Down

Quote FireCommander34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 11:36am
Based on the video, it seems like the "coil whine" occurs when putting load on the computer, but that doesn't seem to be the case with my computer as the noise is constant and non-variable.

I unplugged the cable to the coolant pump and started it up and the humming disappeared, so I have a feeling that it must be the culprit, but I cant imagine that is something I can replace unless the whole assembly is replaceable?

I appreciate the replies / support. Faster than DS tech support ;)

Edited by FireCommander34 - 24 Dec 2020 at 11:46am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 3:50am
Yes, it is the entire assembly, fans and radiator. They alternately call them all-in-ones for that reason.

Sux to be the one in hundreds to get the part that failed, but put an e-mail in for   [email protected]. That may get you expedited as soon as the holiday weekend gets out of the way. All the best.
Calibrator View Drop Down

Quote Calibrator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:59pm
I have rattling coming from my CPU cooler pump from the Velox build I just got. DS heard and confirmed it's the CPU pump. DS has already drop-shipped me a replacement Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler assembly. My question is, how easy/hard will this be to replace?
Velox
i9-10980XE
Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders
ASUS ROG Strix X299-E GamingII
64GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair
SSD M.2 512GB 970 PRO NVM
SSD M.2 2TB 970 EVO NVM
4TB Western Digital HD

ASUS PG43UQ 43" 4k 144Hz
JoeK View Drop Down

Quote JoeK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:55am
Originally posted by Calibrator

I have rattling coming from my CPU cooler pump from the Velox build I just got. DS heard and confirmed it's the CPU pump. DS has already drop-shipped me a replacement Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler assembly. My question is, how easy/hard will this be to replace?

It's fairly easy. YouTube a couple tutorials and you can do it yourself.
Ordered/Stage 1- 12/11/2021
Stage 2/3- 01/27/2021
Stage 4- 01/28/2021
Stage 5- 01/29/2021
Stage 6/7/Shipped- 02/01/2021
 Post Reply Post Reply