FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noob's HDD Partitioning Questions

Post Date: 2009-11-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
B5GkarNarn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noob's HDD Partitioning Questions
    Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 10:29am
I'm a noob & I'm curious about partitioning hard drives (both internal & external). 

1) What are the pros & cons of partitioning hard drives?

2) Is there a tutorial for partitioning hard drives in Windows 7?

3) Are there any special considerations that I must take into account when partitioning hard drives & using Acronis True Image?

Please note that my new DS rig has 2 internal hard drives: 
HDD 1: 500 GB
HDD 2: 1 TB

I'm also going to try & assemble my own external hard drive & I'm need your help in figuring out whether or not I should partition it. 

Seelig View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Seelig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 12:01pm
1.   What are the pros and cons of partitioning a drive ?

Partitioning is generally done because you are trying to address a problem. If you want to run multiple operating systems, that would be a reason to partition (ie. vista and W7 or Linux and Win7. Partitioning is done if you want to segregate data. This could be data you want to share vs data you don't want to share or it could be OS data vs application data.

2.   Is there a tutorial ?

Partitioning is done within the disk management menu item.   Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management

There is a help facility though it is not particularly useful.

If you want to partition a volume, simply right click the partition and request to shrink it (assuming all disks are already formatted). Tell it how much to shrink the volume (the amount you shrink will be the size of the new partition). Once the volume has been shrunk, you can format the newly unallocated space and assign a drive letter.

3. I have no experience with Acronis.
Core 2 Quad QX6850
nForce 780i
4 GB DDR2 Corsair 1066 Dominator
150GB Raptor + 2x WD 750GB
GTX 260
AC3 Cooling

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Seelig

1.   What are the pros and cons of partitioning a drive ?

Partitioning is generally done because you are trying to address a problem. If you want to run multiple operating systems, that would be a reason to partition (ie. vista and W7 or Linux and Win7. Partitioning is done if you want to segregate data. This could be data you want to share vs data you don't want to share or it could be OS data vs application data.

2.   Is there a tutorial ?

Partitioning is done within the disk management menu item.   Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management

There is a help facility though it is not particularly useful.

If you want to partition a volume, simply right click the partition and request to shrink it (assuming all disks are already formatted). Tell it how much to shrink the volume (the amount you shrink will be the size of the new partition). Once the volume has been shrunk, you can format the newly unallocated space and assign a drive letter.

3. I have no experience with Acronis.
Thank you for your reply.

I've been thinking about running Linux but I've read that it can be done using a LiveCD rather than installing it on your hard drive.  Are there any advantages/disadvantages when it comes to either of the aforementioned methods? 

Please note that I've never had any experience with Linux but I've read that it is a more secure OS than Windows in terms of online banking.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 4:44pm
on-line banking has nothing to do with your os.

it has to do with your browser and browsing habits.

if you know your banks address and bookmark it and use the bookmark to go there you will be ok. otherwise if you get phished, your os won't matter.

whatever that is used the most on the net has the most security problems, cause that is what the hackers go after.

for example Internet explorer for the longest time was the most used browser and also the least secure browser.

Now firefox has just passed IE and now its the most used browser, now you wanna guess what browser is now the least secure browser? thats right firefox.

now does this mean that IE and opera and other browsers are safe? no, they are just not as bad as firefox.

the same goes for os, windows is the most used so windows has the most security issues, but that does not mean that apple or linux are safe, they are just not as bad, but that will change as they get more popular.

your on-line banking has nothing to do with your os. the only way you gonna have problems banking on-line, is if you get phished and think you are at the banks site when you are not, and enter your info which is then grabbed by the hackers.

you can be phished no matter what os or browser you use, specially if its being done on the server/dns level.

as for partitioning, the more simple you keep your setup the less headache you will have, so don't partition unless you have to.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Nov 2009 at 4:45pm

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 11:28am
Originally posted by DST4ME

on-line banking has nothing to do with your os.

it has to do with your browser and browsing habits.

if you know your banks address and bookmark it and use the bookmark to go there you will be ok. otherwise if you get phished, your os won't matter.

whatever that is used the most on the net has the most security problems, cause that is what the hackers go after.

for example Internet explorer for the longest time was the most used browser and also the least secure browser.

Now firefox has just passed IE and now its the most used browser, now you wanna guess what browser is now the least secure browser? thats right firefox.

now does this mean that IE and opera and other browsers are safe? no, they are just not as bad as firefox.

the same goes for os, windows is the most used so windows has the most security issues, but that does not mean that apple or linux are safe, they are just not as bad, but that will change as they get more popular.

your on-line banking has nothing to do with your os. the only way you gonna have problems banking on-line, is if you get phished and think you are at the banks site when you are not, and enter your info which is then grabbed by the hackers.

you can be phished no matter what os or browser you use, specially if its being done on the server/dns level.

as for partitioning, the more simple you keep your setup the less headache you will have, so don't partition unless you have to.
I would definitely prefer to keep things as simple as possible on my new DS rig so if you don't recommend partitioning then I won't do it.

Also, thank you for the explanation on online banking security.  I very much appreciate it. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 4:31pm
My pleasure

when going to banks, credit card website and etc.

always make sure you are at the correct address of the site by checking the url in the address box, once you are a 100% sure you are at the right website, bookmark it and use that bookmark to go that website from now on, that will filter many of the tactics hackers use.

lot of people just search for the name of the bank and then go there from search results,

what hackers do is get a address that is close to the address of the bank, something you won't notice unless you paid careful attention, and then they name it the same exact as your bank, so most people don't realize and use that search link to go to their bank, the fake website is setup exactly as the bank so you would never notice you are not really at your banks website, you enter your info and bam, they got your sign in info and its all downhill from there.

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Nov 2009 at 4:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply