FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noob config

Post Date: 2020-07-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
netranger6 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noob config
    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 1:38pm
Budget:
2-3500...and beyond

Expectations:
Been on a mac for 12 years now, and game alot with my son on Xb1X, will get the next one as well. We need a PC, and figured may as well be a gaming rig. It will and should do everything else well. So I began looking, and am here because I have zero clue which way to go. I over-do everything. Please, check out my configs and tell me I'm nuts. Or help me fine tune it for pure performance. It has to support high resolution, but hell, i don't even have a monitor yet.

I used to build a while back, but don't have time for all that now. Just gotta toss money at it and go from there. However, when I over-do this, it may not be as efficiently done. That's where you come in. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Usage:
Gaming, basic computing stuff

Special Needs:

I like the flash of the cooling system and the lights, so that's a keeper. Plus, makes me a sort of hero to the boy.

Wireless gaming. Don't feel like dropping a line in the office. And, has to support wireless controllers and head sets. We both have Elite2 controllers and Razer wireless head sets.

Saved Ticket #:

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <br><strong></strong>
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <br><strong></strong>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 2:40pm
That's a pretty strong build.

You might consider a Samsung Evo series M.2 for storage instead of the DS brand, you will get a better warranty.

Are you defining "high resolution" as 1440P or 4K? That 2080 Super will easily handle a 1440P monitor, and it is also reviewed as doing a fairly good job with 4K. However, a 2080ti would obviously be a much stronger 4K card (do some Google searches). My 2070 Super does a superb job with a 34" 1440P monitor.

Someone is probably going to suggest an Intel cpu (instead of AMD) to get better gaming performance. Here is an excerpt from TomsHardware which compares the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X to the Intel i9-9900k:

Gaming Performance
Winner: Intel

AMD has most certainly narrowed the gap in 1080p gaming performance with Zen 2 when running the CPU at stock speeds, and the company is even able to perform better than the i9-9900k in a few CPU-heavy titles. But in the end, Intel’s i9 CPU allows high-end GPU’s to stretch their legs the most. While the difference at stock speeds isn’t noticeable for many, those who are running high-refresh monitors and looking to extract every frame possible out of their system will want to use the -9900K, especially when overclocked.

Edited by Bob100 - 24 Jul 2020 at 3:03pm

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 4:40pm
Well, it was not a planned config. I just kept adding the next higher one or two options. Lol. Really, have no idea what I'm doing with regard to the chipsets or mobo. And the flashy lights and cooling has me mesmerized honestly.

Mostly, I want a system I really don't have to mess with for a few years to come. Stable, ripping, but long term.

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 4:41pm
I thought the Ryzen was the way to go?   
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by netranger6

Mostly, I want a system I really don't have to mess with for a few years to come. Stable, ripping, but long term.

That should give you very strong performance for several years.

The light display in that Lumos case is beautiful. I have a Lumos with the Corsair mag lev RGB fans, Corsair RGB RAM cards, and the free DS RGB case lighting, my MSI MB also lights up. When everything is turned on, it is quite a show.

Does that "Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX" RAM that you chose have RGB lights? Seems like there may be a version that has RGB and one that does not. Might want to check that if you want RGB on the memory cards.

Edited by Bob100 - 24 Jul 2020 at 8:19pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 3:36am
It's true the top 3 Intel gaming procs here are somewhat better suited to slightly faster gaming performance, but there is very little difference between them. There's nothing at all wrong with an AMD 3900X for an all-around build. In fact, a 3800X would be just fine. The simple truth is any of these top CPUs is so far out front of what was available just 18 months ago, that you'll have a minimum of about 6 years of very strong service for all-around computing and probably more. Performance-wise, you'd not be likely to perceive any difference. It's "really fast" vs "lightning fast". And the difference is...?

The only real hole in your set-up is the typical glaring error of ordering a SATA SSD for your primary drive. The M.2 NVMe SSDs are 5 times as fast. Any brand or size you wish will be a game-changer daily for everything you do. Instant everything, period. I like a smaller ~500GB one for super-fast scans of my primary drive for malware and viruses, etc. The speed at which that gets accomplished because the drive isn't huge encourages me to do it more often and keep my drive cleaner. If you want more fast storage, I'd get a SATA SSD for secondary. A Samsung 860 EVO. A 1 TB is not a bad value here. IMO, the larger ones are overpriced. Getting more is a very simple DIY project down the road. You could get the 2TB mechanical drive in the 3rd slot.

Don't get the "OS Boost", it's worthless. Win 10 is clean.

Everything else is fine. DO NOT try to go for 4K resolution gaming unless you want to spend over $3000 on just video. As Bob100 says, the 2080 is superb at 2K (1440p). You won't need more. A fine 1440p monitor from 27" to 34" will run $450-1000. A 4K capable of higher frame rates will start around $1600 for 27". And you'd need a lot more video card.

Just sayin'.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 2:12pm
My Suggestion

I took the challenge and went to Intel. The i7-10700K will serve well.

I cut you to 16GB of RAM because you didn't offer a reason for needing 32GB of RAM. (BUT, make sure DS uses two 8GB sticks of RAM so you can easily add another 16GB if needed.)

I changed your storage and gave you the small M2 NVMe Craete likes. I added 1TB of the same for your secondary storage so you can store games there and have awesome speed. I also added a third storage of a 2TB HDD which you can keep or just discard and save the $$$.

I paid for a lot of this by also dropping you to a 2070 Super as the GPU.

The price out the door will be $3,366.00.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 3:26pm
i usually spend about as much on graphics as i do on the monitor or vice versa.  for example:  if i want to game at 1440p and use a second monitor for other tasks like internet surfing, running Discord or whatever, i'm looking for a monitor-depending on budget-anywhere from $400-$800.  to drive that setup i'm going to want a GPU that can handle it, which is usually going to be around $400-$500.  those two things are going to be your most expensive hardware choices, so i suggest you plan around them. 

i'd splurge on those items above and then look to get value in all the other choices.  value doesn't mean cheap or skimping either.  for instance, a lot of people will get some no name trash power supply to cut costs, but that's a mistake.  the PSU is basically like the human heart, do you want a weak (unreliable) one running your body? of course not. 

AMD offers tons of value for people on a budget.  i'd consider making that a platform for a new system, especially for folks on a budget.  what kind of proc do you get?  consider what you intend to use your pc for.  unless you're doing heavy work for a job or something do you really need 8 cores?  games don't really require heavy multi-threading.  if you're just going to do some light workload stuff (editing some pics and such) and primarily want to game, i'd consider dropping all the way down to something like the Ryzen 5 3600X $220 6-core paired with an MSI B450 (MSI makes the best B450 mobos) Tomahawk Max or something.  you don't need to go X570 unless you're planning multi-gpu configs. 

RAM is cheap right now.  you don't need more than 16GB for gaming, but if you want more for some reason (video editing, etc.) Patriot or G.Skill have good value kits around $125. i'm not sure what DS has on hand if you do a system build with them.  ask.  for storage, i don't think you can get a better deal than on ADATA's XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVMe SSD for $140.  again, i don't know what DS has for options. 

back to power supplies.  the market's pretty thin right now, prob due to the trade war with China or something.  normally i'd suggest quality over wattage.  the system with my suggestions won't draw over 500 watts under normal usage.  if you can get an 80-plus Gold 700-watt (i like to go over at least 20%+ for degradation and overclocking) from a reputable manufacturer with a 7-yr warranty or better.  but don't go nuts here, $130-$140 tops. 

since you said you don't have a monitor picked out i'd recommend minimally a 28-inch 1440p fast (144Hz or better) for primary (gaming).  the Dell S3220DGF 31.5" 2560x1440 165Hz is really nice.  lots of features can do both "Freesync" and "G-Sync". comes in at $450.  the graphics card to pair with that is going to be from (high to low): a non reference RTX 2070 Super with custom air cooling (around $500) to RTX 2060 Super ($360).  for AMD options: RX 5700 XT ($480) or RX 5700 ($360).  for comparison:  the RTX 2060 Super (Nvidia) has about a 9%-13% overall gaming advantage against the RX 5700 (AMD).  but you're paying about $80 more for that 9-13%.  as for multi rendering, the 2060 Super gets about 70- 75% bump.  i'd get it for that reason if it's important to you.  the gaming side isn't really going to be noticeable. 

total system cost minus the monitor:  ~$1,850 (DS configurator wouldn't let me swap the mobo from X570 to B450).

Edited by db188 - 25 Jul 2020 at 3:58pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 4:23pm
Thanks for all your input guys. Gonna go back to the drawing board once again!

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Cretae

It's true the top 3 Intel gaming procs here are somewhat better suited to slightly faster gaming performance, but there is very little difference between them. There's nothing at all wrong with an AMD 3900X for an all-around build. In fact, a 3800X would be just fine. The simple truth is any of these top CPUs is so far out front of what was available just 18 months ago, that you'll have a minimum of about 6 years of very strong service for all-around computing and probably more. Performance-wise, you'd not be likely to perceive any difference. It's "really fast" vs "lightning fast". And the difference is...?

The only real hole in your set-up is the typical glaring error of ordering a SATA SSD for your primary drive. The M.2 NVMe SSDs are 5 times as fast. Any brand or size you wish will be a game-changer daily for everything you do. Instant everything, period. I like a smaller ~500GB one for super-fast scans of my primary drive for malware and viruses, etc. The speed at which that gets accomplished because the drive isn't huge encourages me to do it more often and keep my drive cleaner. If you want more fast storage, I'd get a SATA SSD for secondary. A Samsung 860 EVO. A 1 TB is not a bad value here. IMO, the larger ones are overpriced. Getting more is a very simple DIY project down the road. You could get the 2TB mechanical drive in the 3rd slot.

Don't get the "OS Boost", it's worthless. Win 10 is clean.

Everything else is fine. DO NOT try to go for 4K resolution gaming unless you want to spend over $3000 on just video. As Bob100 says, the 2080 is superb at 2K (1440p). You won't need more. A fine 1440p monitor from 27" to 34" will run $450-1000. A 4K capable of higher frame rates will start around $1600 for 27". And you'd need a lot more video card.

Just sayin'.

Not sure about the ram RGB. I chose the extreme because of the word. Extreme. Lol. Figured it has to be balls out. Man, I'm a noob. ha.

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 4:40pm
Ok, so do I really need the exotic cooling??

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3272987          $4,806.00     $4,806.00

System Configuration:
Processor: Intel Core i9-10920X (12-Core) (Boost Up to 4.6 GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming II (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (1x Board)
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.5GHz via Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0
Graphics: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 4:47pm
This Was My Build

Just so you can see a comparison.

My build is 2-3 months old and the 9700K was like the 10700K is now.

I did get 32GB of RAM because I do photo processing in RAW.

I did go ahead and get the 1TB, instead of the 500GB solution of what I suggested to you as my primary drive. I also got the 3TB HDD, which I have in two partitions for image backups and general storage.

I went with the sealed All-In-One (AIO) CPU cooler instead of the liquid cooler you chose. Call it preference.

I did get the 2080 Super card, and it was overkill but the 2070 was badly backlogged and I wanted the unit sooner rather than later. (At the age of 68, I don't like waiting.)

I have the same case, power supply and case fans. I am very happy with my computer. I am playing games in 1440p at 144Hz. I clearly enjoy it better than 1080p at 60Hz.

Since you are new to PC I simply wanted to show what others (me) choose and why. What people state are their goals for the system does matter. So think about all of this and keep in mind the end goal so that you, and your wallet, are happy.

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by John18

This Was My Build

Just so you can see a comparison.

My build is 2-3 months old and the 9700K was like the 10700K is now.

I did get 32GB of RAM because I do photo processing in RAW.

I did go ahead and get the 1TB, instead of the 500GB solution of what I suggested to you as my primary drive. I also got the 3TB HDD, which I have in two partitions for image backups and general storage.

I went with the sealed All-In-One (AIO) CPU cooler instead of the liquid cooler you chose. Call it preference.

I did get the 2080 Super card, and it was overkill but the 2070 was badly backlogged and I wanted the unit sooner rather than later. (At the age of 68, I don't like waiting.)

I have the same case, power supply and case fans. I am very happy with my computer. I am playing games in 1440p at 144Hz. I clearly enjoy it better than 1080p at 60Hz.

Since you are new to PC I simply wanted to show what others (me) choose and why. What people state are their goals for the system does matter. So think about all of this and keep in mind the end goal so that you, and your wallet, are happy.

Thank you for the input my friend. So the bad ass liquid cooling is really just bling?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 5:48pm

Ok, so do I really need the exotic cooling??[

i've been LC for a long time.  my Aventum is custom LC (2 graphics cards+cpu).  i've played around a lot with overclocking.  my advice:  unless you're an enthusiast benchmark warrior or someone whose trying to jack up "value" components to perform at their highest capacity you really don't need to go with an expensive full blown custom water build.  those are very maintenance intensive and takes some knowledge to fine tune and keep running efficiently.  so, unless that's your bag, i'd rethink it. 

if you want a no hassle maintenance-free experience, but still want to dabble in some minor overclocking i'd highly recommend going with a high-end air cooler (from Noctua i had great experience with the D14 except in shipping) or even a good AIO sealed LC job.  there are tradeoffs.

the high-end air coolers are massive and heavy, putting strain on your mobo and taking up a lot of case space.  you need to think about that stuff (my D14 cooled pc once came back from the vendor bent to sh*t with a cracked mobo due to shipping).  everything works in concert.  i wouldn't put 1 in a case that isn't standard ATX size.  you're better off with an AIO because of its lower profile, as long as the radiator fits.  you want clear air flow for the case fans as well as the fans on the rad.  i like mesh front cases too.  air flow is better than noise considerations for me because i wear headphones 100% of the time and have my own isolated home office, so don't wake up the wife!

32GB RAM is good because of the cheap prices right now, and even people who just want to run with a bunch of tabs open while playing games can benefit.  16GB is the "sweet spot" for value, but 32GB is good too. 

Edited by db188 - 25 Jul 2020 at 5:52pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 6:41pm

Thank you for the input my friend. So the bad ass liquid cooling is really just bling?

IMO, mostly bling. The hottest my AIO has gotten is 81 degrees and we changed the fan profiles so it maxes around 78 degrees playing games at 1440p and 144Hz.

Your case fans will give you bling, as will your green cables.

** If ** you go with the DS AIO cooler it will be controlled separately from the Corsair LL fans. I also have the DS lightstrip in mine that is also controlled from the DS remote.

The Lumos has six case fans. The AIO cooler is connected to the inside of the front intake fans, so you have a total of five front fans. There are two fans at the top of the case and one more at the top of the rear.

If you do go with the air cooler you won't have competing, but sometimes interesting multiple light patterns. Take a look at pictures and see what you think.

If you look up my past posts here you will find a few that have photos of my system so you can see what the DS AIO cooler looks like in the same case.

Have fun!!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:03am
Like db188 said about liquid custom loop cooling. Can be a maintenance headache, and the cooling capacity isn't needed in every day use. So, yeah, bling.

There is absolutely no logical reason to go into the Intel heavy number crunching ultra multi-cores. As db188 pointed out, more cores does nothing at all for gaming, and when you cross over into the Core i9 X series, you actually lose the speed advantage Intel has in gaming. You totally waste about $500 on useless cores and a much more expensive motherboard.

Stick with an i7 10700K or an AMD 3800X, and you'll easily get 6-8 years of service. Again, the CPUs are overpowered, and the heart is the GPU/monitor mix. You will upgrade your GPU at least once in that time, but the CPU will still serve you.

You can just throw as much $$ at the wall as you want. We're trying to show you the way to optimal price/performance for gaming.

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 12:01pm

Like db188 said about liquid custom loop cooling. Can be a maintenance headache, and the cooling capacity isn't needed in every day use. So, yeah, bling.

There is absolutely no logical reason to go into the Intel heavy number crunching ultra multi-cores. As db188 pointed out, more cores does nothing at all for gaming, and when you cross over into the Core i9 X series, you actually lose the speed advantage Intel has in gaming. You totally waste about $500 on useless cores and a much more expensive motherboard.

Stick with an i7 10700K or an AMD 3800X, and you'll easily get 6-8 years of service. Again, the CPUs are overpowered, and the heart is the GPU/monitor mix. You will upgrade your GPU at least once in that time, but the CPU will still serve you.

You can just throw as much $$ at the wall as you want. We're trying to show you the way to optimal price/performance for gaming.

Thanks man

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:10pm
What about this configuration? Any noticeable areas to improve?

Desktop - Config ID 3291243 - SKU 2778425     
     $4,117.00

System Configuration:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12-Core) 4.7 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing Plus (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:46pm

What about this configuration? Any noticeable areas to improve?

Desktop - Config ID 3291243 - SKU 2778425     
      $4,117.00

System Configuration:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12-Core) 4.7 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing Plus (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement

Personally I would go for the full hydro-lux cooling over the lite if you are going to go that route and probably drop down to the 3800X/XT and save some money. My old DS rig was somewhat similar to DB188's in that I had the same CPU(I did change the CPU from the I7 6700k and MB when I re-did the loop at one point) and GPUs in a full custom loop and I would still be running it today except that i caught the bug and went the route of building my own hardline dual loop that i currently use. DB188 is right about it being mostly bling but I will also add that it can be a fair bit quieter also since you can typically run the fans at a lower speed and still maintain low temps. At the end of the day any custom liquid cooling will be more maintenance than Air or AIO's but get what will also make you happy since you will probably have it for a long while.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 3:16am
How do the drives look?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 4:14am
Fine. When you start to fill up the NVMe, you'll want a SATA SSD for games, but you can install that easily and save money. You can keep the HDD for storing photos, and music, videos, etc that will load fast enough.

The CPU, as has been mentioned several times, is overkill that just wastes your money. If you have any problem with installing an SSD yourself, get a perfectly capable long-lived 3800X and put the savings into a SATA SSD. The 1 TB is decent value, the 2TB is a bit pricey.

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:07pm

Fine. When you start to fill up the NVMe, you'll want a SATA SSD for games, but you can install that easily and save money. You can keep the HDD for storing photos, and music, videos, etc that will load fast enough.

The CPU, as has been mentioned several times, is overkill that just wastes your money. If you have any problem with installing an SSD yourself, get a perfectly capable long-lived 3800X and put the savings into a SATA SSD. The 1 TB is decent value, the 2TB is a bit pricey.

How about this? Not sure what SATA SSD you are referring, but didn't see any SATA options.

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3292654 - SKU 2779744                $3,482.00

System Configuration:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (8-Core) 4.5 GHz Turbo
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 4:05am
The SATA SSDs are all the ones that look like a "box" in the config pictures rather than long and slim. The DS branded "long and slim ones" are SATA M.2s. That's why they do not say "NVMe". NVMe is ~5 times faster. If you click on "more info" you get more info, including whether a drive is SATA or not.

This build is better price/performance. The video card is all you will need for 1080p monitors.

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 9:07am
Bit the bullet and ordered. Now I need help with keyboard, mouse and monitor. Lol.

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3302017 - SKU 2788402                $3,422.00

System Configuration:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 12:06pm
You might want to call in and let them do the Stage 1 overclock on the CPU.

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 2:45pm

CPU was selected. Just not GPU.

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 2:51pm
picked up a Huntsman Elite, Razer. Next, mouse anyone?? Monitor?
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 3:21pm

CPU was selected. Just not GPU.

That isn't what I am reading above...
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 3:19am
They don't overclock AMDs, guys. Turbo boost is built into the chips.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 12:26pm
Cretae is correct.  it's best to just go with PBO (precision boost overdrive) that's baked in adaptive overclocking based on the motherboard's power delivery sub system (so, if you buy a board that's built for overclocking you'd presumably get more bang out of the proc).  all of this to say manual overclocking would probably actually be detrimental to lightly threaded usage-such as gaming. 

there are 2 settings of PBO-IPM which is the default or "auto" setting; and then there's another if you select "enable" to activate a profile that would take advantage of the aforementioned "OC mobos" in order to unlock the full capabilities of the proc.  max power delivery gets kicked up to like 1000W which will maintain high single-core clocks and boost the multi-core speed up as well.  there's also an "auto OC" feature, which gives you some control over the max attainable boost clock, but there are no guarantees that your proc will be able to maintain those speeds all the time, under every condition.  but again, this feature often comes at the expense of single-threaded performance.  it's the closest you can come to a manual all-core overclock. 

Edited by db188 - 08 Aug 2020 at 12:33pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 5:37pm
Guys.. Help me with a monitor choice. I am in stage 4 already and can't decide. 1440P 27 inch or higher
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 4:17am
Under $500, the 27" ASUS DS sells here on the site is really hard to beat. It checks every box for what you want at 1440p. Their price is even better than Amazon right now.

ASUS 27 inch VG27AQ (G-SYNC) (2K Resolution) (165Hz Refresh) (1ms Response) (2560x1440) (HDR10)
 Post Reply Post Reply