FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noob looking for help

Post Date: 2020-11-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
grasoline View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noob looking for help
    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:37pm
Hi all! New to the PC world - but have always dreamed of a really high-end gaming PC. I've done a decent amount of research but have a few questions if we've got any pros in chat. First here's the specs:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (6-Core) 4.4 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

Only real question is: Is the watercooling default option OK? How about the motherboard? Is it sufficient? I also know nothing about RAID cards and have no clue if I need one or not.

Plan on running on a 1440p 144hz monitor. Maybe 4k at some point.

Thanks for any replies in advanced!

Edited by grasoline - 26 Nov 2020 at 8:14am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 7:32am
Welcome to the forums... the Smart Guys will be along shortly to help out.   
grasoline View Drop Down

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:31am
Thanks! Hopefully so haha
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:39am
Ya know, your config# or what you spent would be helpful.

Here's a build that makes more sense and saves a little money:

3582178        $2833 after discount with free shipping.

You might not think it, but he next gen Ryzen 5800X is actually 13% stronger than the 3900X with it's more cores. Extra cores don't do that much for gaming. yo definitely want the newer chip.

Your board isn't necessary for a stable and pleasing gaming platform, but you can go back to it if you want to spend the money. There are no BAD boards here, but the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon is a middle-priced fave of mine. Ram is fine. There is no need at all for 1000W PSU, the 850W is abundant overhead.

The storage is not what you think. The M.2 NVMe SSDs are over 5 times faster than the SATA drive you picked. They are absolute game changers for all you do from the OS. One of the very best is the Samsung 980 PRO. i gave you the SATA drive in second spot for your games library. games will load very well from that one.

The Radeon 6800 XT is in a virtual tie with the 3080. Each has it's own little features that don't compare one to the other, but overall it's a tie. The choice of the 6800 XT comes from the fact it may well be easier to get, and paired with an AMD 5000 series proc, it has extras the 3080 can't match. The 3080s are so back-ordered the supply seems at least 30 days extra wait. if you don't mind that, get either one. They will both kick the crud out of a 1440p workload.

Airflow is top-notch in a Velox. Please note the mobo is installed upside down so the GPU is likewise.

Storage is so fast these days, and you can clone to an external SSD, so RAID is obsolete IMO.

Questions?
grasoline View Drop Down

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Cretae

Ya know, your config# or what you spent would be helpful.

Here's a build that makes more sense and saves a little money:

3582178        $2833 after discount with free shipping.

You might not think it, but he next gen Ryzen 5800X is actually 13% stronger than the 3900X with it's more cores. Extra cores don't do that much for gaming. yo definitely want the newer chip.

Your board isn't necessary for a stable and pleasing gaming platform, but you can go back to it if you want to spend the money. There are no BAD boards here, but the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon is a middle-priced fave of mine. Ram is fine. There is no need at all for 1000W PSU, the 850W is abundant overhead.

The storage is not what you think. The M.2 NVMe SSDs are over 5 times faster than the SATA drive you picked. They are absolute game changers for all you do from the OS. One of the very best is the Samsung 980 PRO. i gave you the SATA drive in second spot for your games library. games will load very well from that one.

The Radeon 6800 XT is in a virtual tie with the 3080. Each has it's own little features that don't compare one to the other, but overall it's a tie. The choice of the 6800 XT comes from the fact it may well be easier to get, and paired with an AMD 5000 series proc, it has extras the 3080 can't match. The 3080s are so back-ordered the supply seems at least 30 days extra wait. if you don't mind that, get either one. They will both kick the crud out of a 1440p workload.

Airflow is top-notch in a Velox. Please note the mobo is installed upside down so the GPU is likewise.

Storage is so fast these days, and you can clone to an external SSD, so RAID is obsolete IMO.

Questions?

Thank you so much for the reply!
After doing a bit more research on good CPU + GPU pairings I made a few changes. I've read that there's a large flux of 3080s coming in so I'm holding out hope that the wait is about to get a lot better on those ha. Let me know how this build looks, I went with 3600, and upgraded the SSD:

Config:3582391
Price after discount: 2,890.00
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 10:37am
AFIK, all those 3080s are spoken for.

Now you want a last gen Ryzen 5 and pair it with a $400+ motherboard?

What was it you missed about the power supply being a total waste of $$?

My Storage selections were correct, and my rig is much better than yours in just about every way. Just sub in the 3080 if you want and leave the rest alone. You will never be sorry. Let's not overlook you are the "Noob looking for help", and I'm not.
grasoline View Drop Down

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Cretae

AFIK, all those 3080s are spoken for.

Now you want a last gen Ryzen 5 and pair it with a $400+ motherboard?

What was it you missed about the power supply being a total waste of $$?

My Storage selections were correct, and my rig is much better than yours in just about every way. Just sub in the 3080 if you want and leave the rest alone. You will never be sorry. Let's not overlook you are the "Noob looking for help", and I'm not.

I don't discount that your build is better! And I appreciate the help - I was just thinking in terms of future proof on the motherboard. And you're right about the power supply I forgot to switch that out. Is waiting for the 3080 just not worth it you think?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 11:05am
You can't future proof anything because tech moves too fast. The best course is always to get the best you can afford at the time, because the next time, when you have decided what you have isn't doing it anymore, the last thing you want is a bunch of obsolete stuff you paid too much for. Good enough is ALWAYS better than BEST unless you have money to burn.

If you go to the General Discussion, you can read all the crying and gnashing of teeth over the 3080 situation and decide for yourself. The cards are a tie, and performance is what matters. I don't even know if the 6800s are easier to get, but it wouldn't hurt to ask unless your heart is set on the 3080. I'm just sayin' it's gonna add an extra month.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 3:50pm
Your best bet right now is pair the AMD Gen4 board, with the cpu and gpu from AMD and highly recommend you build Cretae's config. If you research it, AMD has taken top spots when paired together, saving some money along the way.

I got mine with an intel build and a 3080 before the release of AMD's new cpus and gpus. Had they been out when I bought mine, I know I would be playing on an AMD build right now. Best of luck to you.
Old Gamers Never Die!
grasoline View Drop Down

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 11:57am
Just want to say after a lot of reading and research - I went with Cretae's complete build (but kept the 3080). Thanks again for your help!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 4:27am
A pleasure.

No worries other than noted on the 3080. It is mostly a coin-flip with features on each card the other can't match balancing each other out. It's up to the buyer to decide which feature set has the more appeal. I think the end result is nothing much a user would notice in either case.

Well done.
 Post Reply Post Reply