Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ArmourBrad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ArmourBrad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noob Question
    Posted: 13 Jul 2008 at 9:30am
I work (including travel) about 10 hours a day and use my laptop for "first thing email checking".

Add that up and I don't use my PC Mon-Fri from 11pm to 6pm (19hrs) Would it be best to turn it off (I'm waaayyy green and info energy saving) or put it into hibernate mode for the day?

A mildy comp savvy friend said it's mildly rough on your comp for daily ons and offs.

again, I'm guessing this may be noob question.

thoughts?
bjt
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2008 at 11:58am
as i understand it, not only is it harder on your equipment to go on/off every day, but it acually takes more power to turn it on every day than to just leave it running (as i understand it)

as far as hibernate, i dont know that its a good idea either, ive heard of vista having problems with it and i doubt a beast pc's power consumption that hibernation would make much difference
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2008 at 12:40pm
There are so many variables involved in this. It depends upon your hardware. A good power supply won't tax the rest of the system by powering up, but it's hard on the power supply itself. The number of fans and other ancillary components will determine how much energy is used when on or in hibernate mode. The type of components involved determine how energy friendly they will be as well. Then there is the question of heat buildup within a case when it's shut down and nowhere for the heat to go when the fans shut down... some say it's not that bad, while others contend this is a bad thing.

I don't know what your system is like, so you'd have to ask a DSO tech I guess. Plant a tree to make yourself feel green in the meantime! ... and don't cut your lawn with a power mower! Smile

P.S. One more significant consideration is the quality of your electricity. I live in a rural community and we have brownouts early in the morning when the milking machines come online. This is bad for electronics naturally. I even use surge and brownout powerline conditioners and still see stress placed on high end audio components. I've actually killed more solid state components than vaccum tube gear. On the other hand, my mom leaves her pc on all the time and it's been that way for years...

Edited by widdlecat - 13 Jul 2008 at 12:45pm
Bismark View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Bismark Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2008 at 1:16pm
All I know about this is that our local colleges are very environmentally friendly, green buildings, rainwater catches for water supply, on roof plantings etc. They insist everyone power down when not in use to save power consumption. What it does to your components Im not sure on, seems to me powered off you wouldnt have as many revolutions on hard drives and stuff but im a noob, I leave my rig atm on always unless I need to clear the memory leaks from a game.
Asus Rampage Formula
Core 2 Quad Q9550
2 ATI Radeon HD4870 Crossfire
4GB Corsair DHX 1066
1000W Corsair HX
DS 850Si

ArmourBrad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ArmourBrad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2008 at 2:30pm
I suppose I can turn my monitor off and if my comp's not running very many, (if any) programs it should be fine.

As far as quality of electricy, I live in a mid size town (originially from NW chicago) but moved away after graduating from Purdue (boiler up!) and as that young new professional I'm trying to save on everything, including electricity.

I use all low wattage energy efficient bulbs, don't use heated dry for clothes or dishes, no lights when not necessary ,dryer balls, eco friendly paints & woods, and power-strip shutoff things like my TV and DVD and Xbox so they don't draw power when I leave and keep my AC off or low.

Those kind of things, but I can imagine a monster rig could be somewhat of a power hog... but for a DSO monster...sooooo worth it.

I'll talk with a tech guy once my bankroll adds up.
bjt
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2008 at 6:49pm
I leave my computer on all the time, gotta counter the green freaks.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
 Post Reply Post Reply