FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noob SSD replacement

Post Date: 2013-12-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bighunt View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bighunt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noob SSD replacement
    Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 6:20am
Hey guys.
I'd like to upgrade my SSD on my 15" DS laptop. Sounds easy enough....
But I'd like to know exactly the steps to take, plus which SSD to buy. I currently have 128gb. I want a 250+ ssd.
Does it matter where I get it? B/c I have a customized laptop, do I knew to special order a SSD? Does it have to be a certain size that most manufacturers don't make?
Once I get it, what are the steps to replace it? Or, would it be easier to pay a professional to do it for me?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 8:28am
I would recommend the Samsung 840Pro SSD. Should be a straight forward swap - nothing special needed. You'll either have to clone your current drive or do a fresh install of the OS and all your software. Some drives come as kits and include all the necessary tools to move data from current drive to new drive - I don't think the Samsung SSDs come with transfer kits. If you feel comfortable opening your laptop, it should only take a few screws to remove and reinstall your new drive. If not, you might want to check out what a local shop would charge to transfer data and do the installation for you.

Good Luck!!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 10:19pm
I just upgraded the 128GB SSD on desktop to a 250GB Samsung 840-EVO. Speed differences between drives while measurable on benchmarks are basically not observable for most of us in practice. I choose Samsung, as suggested by fstcvc,  because their drives have excellent reputations for reliability and the EVO over the Pro because of price. While the NAND in EVO is not as durable as that in the Pro the EVO is still going to outlive the useful lifetime of the laptop.

If you choose the Samsung the easiest way to go is to buy the kit which includes cloning software, some hardware which you won't need, and the USB to SATA cable which will make life easier. The extra cost of the kit is no more than the cost of the cable if bought separately at Newegg. The migration software is trivial to use, takes about 30 sec to setup and less than 30 min to transfer the data. If you don't buy the kit the Samsung data migration software can be downloaded here. If you go with another brand they'll probably have their own migration software or you can use pretty much any other cloning package.

Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 12:16pm
You guys are failing to ask a few important questions, before you give some advice.

The first as fore most is, how old is the laptop.  Does it only support SATA II or is it new enough to have SATA III?  There is no reason to drop extra $$ on a hard drive such as the 840 PRO if your laptop can't support the 6gb/s in SATA III.  There are cheaper Samsung drives that are SATA II.
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 12:45pm
Meller,

You're certainly correct, that question wasn't asked. However, the OP want's to replace a 128 Gb SSD with a larger one, so it's reasonable to assume his laptop has SATA III, and as most SSDs are SATA III there is little choice. Compared to when I got my first SSD  prices have come way down and 250 Gb Samsung 840 EVO can be found for ~ $150 on sale and a little more in kit form, only a fraction of the cost of replacing the laptop.

Marty

Edited by Martys - 09 Dec 2013 at 12:46pm
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 5:48pm
You should never assume, especially in this market.  While i'm like 99% sure it can support SATA III, under the rare circumstance that it is only Sata II we can help better direct towards a more appropriate SSD.
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 10:23am
Totally agree about trying to provide the best advice we can. Out of curiosity I went back to Newegg to look at SATA II SSDs with capacities around 250Gb. There were only 11 with the lowest price drive being $165. The others were all over $200. So, seems to me, regardless of whether the OP's laptop supports SATA III or not, he's better off buying a SATA III drive as they're as cheap or cheaper and more 'future proof' (if there really is such a thing with computers).
bighunt View Drop Down

Quote bighunt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 4:12am
Meller,
I bought the laptop earlier this year.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. You've made my life a little easier today.
I will look into Samsung SSDs and getting their software to make an easy transfer.

MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 9:59pm
Personally, I prefer Intel SSDs. They are rumored to have a better track record for the balance between performance and reliability. I use the 520 and have had no complaints. Anyway, that's my two cents.Chilling
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
16GB Corsair Platinum 3000mhz
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
2 Asus Strix 1080 8GB SLI
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
 Post Reply Post Reply