FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noobie Looking For Gaming Rig Suggestions

Post Date: 2020-12-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Radioactive Ram3n View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Radioactive Ram3n Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noobie Looking For Gaming Rig Suggestions
    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:05pm

Hi guys, I have a budget of at least $1500, but willing to go higher if need be. I'm looking for something that will be able to smoothly run games at high settings with decent FPS. I'll be mostly using this rig for gaming which also includes gaming while using software like Discord. I typically play MMOs such as Guild Wars 2 and ESO, but also looking to future proof for something that can play newer games like Cyberpunk 2077.

I don't have any specific requirements other than wanting something fairly quiet that has the ability to play at very high graphics. I may also be using this PC to work from home, so having it on for 8+ would be standard for me.

Many thanks in advance.
grasoline View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:07pm
What resolution will your monitor(s) be?

Quote Radioactive Ram3n Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by grasoline

What resolution will your monitor(s) be?

I was debating on 4k vs 1080. I'd love to go 4k, but I'm thinking of going for 1080 for budget reasons. I'm honestly undecided on which would be best for me.
grasoline View Drop Down

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:22pm
You do not want 4k. 4k gaming has only very recently become practical for the everyday user. And only with the latest, top-end most expensive hardware. Hardware that wouldn't be afforded to a 1500 dollar build. An argument could be made for 1440p but keep in mind you'll get a smoother everyday experience on 1080p and more than 70% of gamers today still use a 1080p monitor. But either works within your budget. I'd encourage you to do some homework on monitors and resolution before making a decision.

I'll prepare a build here in a bit and allow the rest of the community to share thoughts

Quote Radioactive Ram3n Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:15pm
Ah, gotcha. I figured that 1080 would be more practical but wasn't entirely sure. I appreciate the input.
DigitalCow View Drop Down

Quote DigitalCow Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:53pm
I tend to agree here that with a $1500 build, there may be a need for some sacrifices in some parts of the build. However, there was advice to another person in another thread that I agree with, which is that the last places that you want to consider sacrificing is with the CPU and GPU. These two parts are probably the most important when it comes to gaming, particularly the GPU.

The ready to ship Lynx "Ultimate" may offer your desired performance close to your budget range. You can read a review of the Radeon RX 5700 XT at techradar, which seems to be enthusiastic about the GPU. I haven't used a Radeon for years so I won't able to speak from personal experience. There is no hyperthreading available on the Core i7 9700F CPU, but with 8 cores already, I don't think you'll be missing much in terms of performance.

If you have additional technical expertise and are willing to wait for a fully customized PC, you can play around with some of the configuration settings to only use the stock fans and heatsink, different case options (although the Lynx chassis is one of the least expensive) or opt for just the SATA SSD instead of nvme. The SATA SSD is slower than the nvme SSD, although according to the article at extremetech, the difference is hard to notice in practicality. Again, it depends on your comfort level, however, and some may argue to go with the all-in-one cooling solutions just to be on the safe side or nvme for the best performance.

I had some links here for reference, but the message board prohibits links to prevent spam, so I had to take them out.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 4:34pm
The Lynx Ultimate is right at your budget and will get you good 1080p performance and maybe 1440p if the graphics are turned down.

The cost to benefit gained from 1440p to 4k is not worth it, at least not now and as stated, would require you to go way over your budget to get a system capable of handling 4k. Throw a 4k monitor in there and you will spend 4x what your budget is, at least.

As the Lynx Ultimate is configured, it will do. You can always swap the HDD storage with one of your SSDs if you have one lying around or buy one, they aren't expensive, and add it to your system. Either way, the HDD will do. Games will load up slower but play just fine once they are loaded up.
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 3:34am
Good thoughts here so far. The differences to keep in mind in the decision between 1080p and 1440p is primarily that 1440p will always cost more to run and more initially to buy the monitor. It is relatively inexpensive to purchase a high framerate 1080p monitor that will give great performance with a Lynx Ultimate.

It has been shown in testing that higher frame rates do more for the gaming experience than higher resolutions. Keep in mind you will only have the monitor you are playing on, and the comparison to some other resolution will never be a factor.

I suggest you shoot for the Lynx Ultimate, and a 24" 1080p monitor that can display over 100 fps. That's your sweet spot IMO. There are plenty of good monitors that fit that description under $200.

Quote Radioactive Ram3n Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 11:01am
Thank you, everyone! I'll check out the Lynx Ultimate and look around in the configurations a bit. I'm definitely wanting to add an SSD in there at some point. I'll have to do a little more research and comparing to see what exactly I'll be more comfortable with. Your responses have helped greatly, and I think I have a better idea of what I'm going for now.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 4:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply