FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not just a Gaming Build - Rate my Config

Post Date: 2020-11-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TStorm6900 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TStorm6900 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Not just a Gaming Build - Rate my Config
    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:44pm
Budget:
[$2300]

Expectations:
[Hoping for a fast work station, high end gaming at 1440 ]

Usage:
[Construction Estimating, Accounting, Gaming]

Special Needs:
[Just looking for input on the build.. where could have I done better? Bottlenecks?? Too much RAM? Thermals? OC-gpu ? Power? ]

Saved Ticket #:

Specifications:
What do you guys think about this config?

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 2:50am
Power supply is fine, cooling is fine and 32 GBs of RAM is good for your needs. One suggestion and one thought for you to think about.

Suggestion is to swap the Storage #1 from SSD to NVME, your OS will boot much faster, up to 5 times faster according to the gurus around here.

Something to give thought to is......... AMD released their new CPUs that are crushing it AND their new GPUs are being released soon. Their 6800 and 6800XT comeing out Nov. 18th and the 6900XT coming out Dec. 8th.
Might be worth holding off a bit, unless DS has them in their configurator already. Had you put the config # up we could check it as far as possible better components.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 10 Nov 2020 at 2:51am
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 3:02am
For a tight budget, you have done well. The CPU choice will get your work done. You will get great value from your other choices except one for what you need to do. The exception is in Storage Set 1. You need an NVMe SSD there. The Seagate Firecudas are PCIe Gen 4 parts to go with your AMD board. They are 5 times faster than the SATA SSD you picked. They plug directly into an M.2 slot on the mobo. If you get the 500GB Firecuda and sub in the 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO for Set 2, it will come in at $2412, a difference of just $78, but a complete game changer for everything you do. 5 times faster means instant everything on that drive, and you'll have SSD speed on your secondary!

We don't recommend overclocking the GPU. It's not worth the extra heat and having the fans kick on more often just for a few frames, IMHO.

fdfwfireman and I were posting at the same time so I hadn't seen his comments. he's right about the newer parts out soon, the CPU is available now, but going that route will increase your budget by quite a lot. Just sayin'.

Edited by Cretae - 10 Nov 2020 at 3:06am

Quote TStorm6900 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 4:01am
Awesome feedback guys. I'm going to reach out to DS to see if I can make the Storage and OC adjustments.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 4:31am
I guess you already ordered so congratulations and welcome to DS.
Do call DS. Those changes, in particular They are fine with making changes early.
Keep us posted.

Quote TStorm6900 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 4:45am
Yes now that I've already bit the bullet I can mentally justify dropping another 75 bucks or so for a better drive.. is there any concern with the motherboard not being upgraded? Am I maxed out on PCi slots
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 6:24am
Originally posted by Cretae

For a tight budget, you have done well. The CPU choice will get your work done. You will get great value from your other choices except one for what you need to do. The exception is in Storage Set 1. You need an NVMe SSD there. The Seagate Firecudas are PCIe Gen 4 parts to go with your AMD board. They are 5 times faster than the SATA SSD you picked. They plug directly into an M.2 slot on the mobo. If you get the 500GB Firecuda and sub in the 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO for Set 2, it will come in at $2412, a difference of just $78, but a complete game changer for everything you do. 5 times faster means instant everything on that drive, and you'll have SSD speed on your secondary!

We don't recommend overclocking the GPU. It's not worth the extra heat and having the fans kick on more often just for a few frames, IMHO.

fdfwfireman and I were posting at the same time so I hadn't seen his comments. he's right about the newer parts out soon, the CPU is available now, but going that route will increase your budget by quite a lot. Just sayin'.

lol, yeah... I saw your post right then too.
The cpu you selected will do you just fine on the budget you specified. Selecting one of the newer CPUs will raise your price quite a bit as will the new GPUs coming out later. So if your budget is your budget, then you have done fine. I have seen many suggest here to get a better MB then the base selected by default in DS's configurator, and that would be the ASUS PRIME X570-PRO. With discount, you are talking another pinch of money over the $75.00 extra you were going to spend. Either way, your config, with the suggestions Cretae made, will do you just fine. Good luck and let us know what you decided.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 10 Nov 2020 at 6:26am
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:32am
No worries on the board. you will have one slot left over from using one for the GPU. The M.2 slot doesn't count as a traditional PCIe slot. My take is: this is DS, they have carefully selected the budget boards for reliability and long-lived trouble free service. I can't remember the last time anyone had a faulty board here. Asus and MSI, whichever one they have for you, are very good brands. I think they both come with at least a 3 year factory warranty.

I do often recommend the next selection higher, but only when the budget allows. The somewhat better boards usually just come with an extra PCIe slot, a few more ports you'll likely not need. A USB hub could take care of that if it ever arose. They are better to overclock the CPU, but we're not concerned with that.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 12:56pm
There ya go............. OPTIONS!
Old Gamers Never Die!

Quote TStorm6900 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 7:58am
Well I contacted DS and got them to change the Storage 1 to the NVMe and the Storage 2 will now be the Samsung SSD. 1 TB each. Upgraded the motherboard to Pro and cancelled the Overclock on the GPU.
Cost me like $375..
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 9:11am
Your set TStorm. You are going to be very happy changing to an NVME. I thought my old PC, which had the OS on a Samsung SSD, was fast to boot up but the OS on my NVME on my new DS build boots up so fast. It isn't just windows either. On boot up it's the OS, plus Razer Chroma, iCue software, Gsming OSD from MSI and such. Boots up in like 5-10 secs. Silly fast!
The extra money you spent might seem like a lot, but you are getting a PC that is going to very pleasing to you.
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 1:15pm
Agreed.   

Be sure to create a smallish partition for Windows, your browser, maintenance software like CCleaner and Malwarebytes, etc. Size is up to you, but the smaller it is, the faster you can scan it for boogymen, and the easier you can clone it to an external device for backup. Remember, the more apps you put on the same drive with Windows, the more you will have to re-install if you ever have to do a clean install of Win down the road. To do that if it's ever necessary, you have to wipe the whole drive. Windows can load software from anywhere on your system.
GreenTeaRex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GreenTeaRex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 10:14pm

Agreed.   

Be sure to create a smallish partition for Windows, your browser, maintenance software like CCleaner and Malwarebytes, etc. Size is up to you, but the smaller it is, the faster you can scan it for boogymen, and the easier you can clone it to an external device for backup. Remember, the more apps you put on the same drive with Windows, the more you will have to re-install if you ever have to do a clean install of Win down the road. To do that if it's ever necessary, you have to wipe the whole drive. Windows can load software from anywhere on your system.

Hi Cretae! Could you please explain how I can partition Windows, software, etc to a smaller size for your reasons. Do you have a YouTube video I could look up for this? My computer is on Stage 3 and I couldn’t be any more excited! I just want to prepare so when the time comes, I can do it right away. :)

Also regarding installing windows on a smaller partition. Does that mean when I save files from my computer, I should save it to another partition so I can have the partition with windows in it as minimalistic as possible? If I did need to reinstall windows for any reason and I saved my files on another partition will they still be there when Windows is reinstalled?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 4:24am
Windows itself has a partition Wizard. You should have installed your browser and other programs you want to scan regularly for viruses, adware, malware, etc, including the programs that will do the scanning for you. I'm not going to tell you what to have, but on this Forum is a section that is still relevant entitled "Must Have Software". Google anything you wish. Google is your friend for everything. You can get these instructions from Google, but you can also get them from Windows > Disk Management > Help. When you have installed all the basic stuff you think you want, you will have used up some space on your drive. Whatever that may be, you can probably double it for a reasonably sized C: drive with plenty of room to add more stuff.

Type Computer Management into the search box. When the window opens go down to Storage > Disk Management. Right click your C: drive and select Shrink Volume. Win will "Query" your drive for amount of space and a window will open where you can select a number of megabytes the C: drive partition will be. Whatever you are comfortable with, empty space won't slow anything down.

When you have all that figured out, click "Shrink", and Win will re-size the partition. You will be asked to re-name the leftover space, typically, D:.

When files are saved on your C: drive it will only be files that are relevant to the programs you have there. When you have a program on another drive, those files will be saved there. Windows will ask you every time you install something what drive you want to use, and then it will automatically look for that program, file folder, whatever in the drive you selected. It may be best to install Steam (if you use it) on your C: drive, but you can direct Steam to install all your games on a different drive. In the rare case you would have to do a clean install of Windows, only the files/apps/games that are on the same partition would have to be re-installed.

Google can tell you almost everything except "the meaning of Life". These instructions are an overview of how it's not that hard to partition a drive, but you don't have to rely on me. There are free apps that can do the same job, but there is a learning curve involved, and if you are only going to do this once, Windows can do it.

As far as what you want on your slimmed down primary drive, you can Google that too for suggestions. if you don't know Google, you can ask it anything and get a pretty accurate list of answers. Heckova lot smarter than I am!
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GreenTeaRex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 8:42am

Windows itself has a partition Wizard. You should have installed your browser and other programs you want to scan regularly for viruses, adware, malware, etc, including the programs that will do the scanning for you. I'm not going to tell you what to have, but on this Forum is a section that is still relevant entitled "Must Have Software". Google anything you wish. Google is your friend for everything. You can get these instructions from Google, but you can also get them from Windows > Disk Management > Help. When you have installed all the basic stuff you think you want, you will have used up some space on your drive. Whatever that may be, you can probably double it for a reasonably sized C: drive with plenty of room to add more stuff.

Type Computer Management into the search box. When the window opens go down to Storage > Disk Management. Right click your C: drive and select Shrink Volume. Win will "Query" your drive for amount of space and a window will open where you can select a number of megabytes the C: drive partition will be. Whatever you are comfortable with, empty space won't slow anything down.

When you have all that figured out, click "Shrink", and Win will re-size the partition. You will be asked to re-name the leftover space, typically, D:.

When files are saved on your C: drive it will only be files that are relevant to the programs you have there. When you have a program on another drive, those files will be saved there. Windows will ask you every time you install something what drive you want to use, and then it will automatically look for that program, file folder, whatever in the drive you selected. It may be best to install Steam (if you use it) on your C: drive, but you can direct Steam to install all your games on a different drive. In the rare case you would have to do a clean install of Windows, only the files/apps/games that are on the same partition would have to be re-installed.

Google can tell you almost everything except "the meaning of Life". These instructions are an overview of how it's not that hard to partition a drive, but you don't have to rely on me. There are free apps that can do the same job, but there is a learning curve involved, and if you are only going to do this once, Windows can do it.

As far as what you want on your slimmed down primary drive, you can Google that too for suggestions. if you don't know Google, you can ask it anything and get a pretty accurate list of answers. Heckova lot smarter than I am!

Thank you Cretae! You’re the best! I watched YouTube videos how to partition drives using the shrink volume option but I couldn’t find any specific answer to your windows partition. I’m pretty comfortable with your answer and will try to do a deeper search for more specific questions regarding it. I’m sorry to have bothered you about it but you seemed to know exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it!

Quote TStorm6900 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 4:17am
Thanks for the support everyone..
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 4:23am
A pleasure, not a bother.

I just googled "what utilities should I have in my new computer?" and there are some great choices. As I said, you can ask Google anything. The AI is very, very good at coming up with replies in answer to everyday questions in common language. There is no formal "format" that will get closer to what you want. Just ask straight out. It almost always works. It seems to be especially good at "how do I..." questions.

You don't need all the utilities suggested by any stretch. Just pick and choose the ones YOU think are ones that you will use and are not beyond your knowledge base. If you don't know what the problem means, you won't need a solution for it probably ever. Google the name brand parts in your rig to see if the website has some special software for that part. Samsung, for example, has a maintenance app for your SSDs. Download the software you want and see how much it all takes up including Windows and your browser, and maybe double it. Remember, you can re-size again later. If you set aside even as much as 150-200 GB, you'll have a HUGE amount of storage left.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GreenTeaRex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 10:26am

A pleasure, not a bother.

I just googled "what utilities should I have in my new computer?" and there are some great choices. As I said, you can ask Google anything. The AI is very, very good at coming up with replies in answer to everyday questions in common language. There is no formal "format" that will get closer to what you want. Just ask straight out. It almost always works. It seems to be especially good at "how do I..." questions.

You don't need all the utilities suggested by any stretch. Just pick and choose the ones YOU think are ones that you will use and are not beyond your knowledge base. If you don't know what the problem means, you won't need a solution for it probably ever. Google the name brand parts in your rig to see if the website has some special software for that part. Samsung, for example, has a maintenance app for your SSDs. Download the software you want and see how much it all takes up including Windows and your browser, and maybe double it. Remember, you can re-size again later. If you set aside even as much as 150-200 GB, you'll have a HUGE amount of storage left.

Perfect! i will definitely research more into what utilities I should use. I plan to do around 200 go for my windows, software, etc. and keep my most played games in another partition on my NVMe and just random pics, videos, etc on the HDD. I’m starting to understand of all of this technical stuff thanks to you guys. You guys are the best!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by TStorm6900

It's a pleasure! Here's hoping you are going to have a great experience from your upgraded system.    

Quote TStorm6900 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 11:55am

Originally posted by TStorm6900

It's a pleasure! Here's hoping you are going to have a great experience from your upgraded system.    

Order Update. Ordered on Nov 8th fully expecting delivery before Xmas. Made a very early config mod Nov 10th. Did not delay order in any way.
Called customer service on Nov 24th considering upgrading fans.. agent informed me of a order mod fee of $69 so i decided to let it be.. The agent informed me that no changes were made and the order would continue through the stages.. Order sat in Stage 4 for a while until i decided to check the status, on Dec 2, which is when i found the outstanding balance for the fan upgrade that i did not actually request. Agent quickly resolved the issue and was very nice and helpful. I was told the account showed that i did not want to process the request and it was not put through but for some reason the invoice was generated putting my order on hold for payment.

I was informed my order was upgraded to VIP to expedite the process. This seemed like the right thing to do and i was happy. My order was bumped to Stage 5 immediately.

Now Dec 10th my order is still on Stage 5, so i called an agent who said my order would ship end of the month maybe and there is no VIP status attached to my order and that noone put my order on hold ever.. he was short, unhelpful, and the exact opposite of the previous agents i spoke to.. ughh
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 4:58am
E-mail:

[email protected]

ASAP.    He will get this sorted out for you better than anyone could.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 4:05pm
Looks like your order went into Stage 7 today, you should receive it by XMAS as long as UPS/FedEx don't hold things up.

Quote TStorm6900 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:21pm
Beautiful - I have no words..

Thank you.

Sweet Baby Jesus.. Thank you.

Merry Christmas

I can't wait for "my son's" computer to get here.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 3:18am

Congrats! Let us know how it goes. Merry Christmas back atcha!   
 Post Reply Post Reply