FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nvidea Geforce 2070 Super

Post Date: 2020-10-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ubercat View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ubercat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Nvidea Geforce 2070 Super
    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:56am
I bought my current DS gaming rig almost 2.5 years ago and recently decided to upgrade from my GTX 1070 Ti card. I want to get a 4k monitor and HP Reverb G2 VR set. I called DS a few days ago to talk to a tech and find out what the best card my PC can handle is. He said that without also upgrading my power supply I should be able to run a 2070 Super.

I just checked out New Egg and there appear to be about 35 2070 Supers listed! Many with unique elements in their descriptions. Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Aorus, iGame, etc. Some have 3 fans on the card and some just 2.

I thought the 2070 Super was simply made by Nvidea and the toughest decision I might have to make was choosing between regular and Founders editions. I don't even know where to begin in choosing between all the options at New egg!

Here's the stupid question that often annoys the more tech savy. What's the best choice? Or maybe it would be better just to get some general guidance. I assume that they're all good for 4k gaming and the Reverb 2 specs list the 2070 as sufficient for full resolution.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 12:09pm
nVidia makes and specs the components of the graphics cards. Other manufacturers MUST use these "standards" as far as the electronic design, but, they can change up how the card cools (their heat pipe and thermal dissipation design, back plate and design looks. Usually after market cards are a little more expensive. Hence the reason you see three fans on many of them. Plus, they usually come slightly overclocked on all of them. Some are even more aggressively overclocked. Some are made with the extreme overclocker in mind.

So if it was me, and I am NOT a big proponent of overclocking just to squeeze out the last 2-3 fps I can get, I would at least by a 3 fan model with a modest overclock rate that has good reviews and at the best price.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 29 Oct 2020 at 12:12pm
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 5:06am
So... DS answered the question correctly, because I assume you have one of the 600W power supplies. What they didn't say, because you didn't ask, is if the 2070 will do well at 4K. The short answer, from all I've seen is... not so much. You will constantly struggle to tweak each game to be playable at 60 fps. You will be successful much of the time, but a lot of the newer, popular titles will require a lot of reduction in game specs.

It has been demonstrated that most gamers prefer faster frame rates over screen resolution, especially on monitors under 32". The 2070 SUPER is a great card at 1440p, and will run just about everything at about 90+ frames per second at or near highest settings. You would have a better experience at that resolution, and it would always be less expensive than 4k gaming.

But wait! There's more! The new RTX 3070s hit the market yesterday, and they cost around the same as a 2070S, but are far more capable of playing 4k at 60MHz! the 3070 is about 40% stronger card. It compares well with a 2080Ti. they seem to be available now at Newegg, but I don't know for how long.

The crux of the matter is this: if you can compromise on the monitor, the 2070S will do. If you must have 4K, the 3070 is your answer. Will it play on your system? they recommend a 650W power supply, but you can check.

Use this calculator to see the power use of everything in your system, and see if you can run an RTX 3070. It uses 220W, and you can choose it to go in the calculator. When I ran it guessing at what you might have (8700K, 16Gb RAM, NVMe SSD, SATA SSD, and typical HDD, 6 120" fans, a Corsair all-in-one, etc.) and using the 3070, I got a number that was well under 600W.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

The worst case for you if you go 3070 is you have to change your power supply, but it would probably be worth it if you insist on 4K.
Ubercat View Drop Down

Quote Ubercat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 9:35am
Thanks for the replies, folks, and thanks for the calculator link! I'll tackle using that soon and see what I come up with. It looks like I've already missed out on the 3070's at NE.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 2:45am
Pleasure. Hope it works out for you!
 Post Reply Post Reply