FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nvidia 9 series?

Post Date: 2007-09-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kahlsted View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kahlsted Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Nvidia 9 series?
    Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 9:23am
I haven't seen much in any searches but does anyone know when the Nvidia 9 series is thought to be coming out?
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 10:03am
Originally posted by kahlsted

I haven't seen much in any searches but does anyone know when the Nvidia 9 series is thought to be coming out?

They're going to be way overpriced just like any first run card.  Although, I'm sure they're going to rock. 

Haven't heard anything over hear yet.
kahlsted View Drop Down

Quote kahlsted Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 10:54am
I'm sure they'll be overpriced but when they're released, I'm betting that all the current card prices will drop!
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 10:56am
Originally posted by kahlsted

I'm sure they'll be overpriced but when they're released, I'm betting that all the current card prices will drop!

Absotootly! Thumbs%20Up

Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 1:29pm
Anything you read at this point about the 9 series is pure conjecture. Nvidia has been hush-hush on technological details or even expected release date. The rumor mill has it that the new cards will go to 65nm manufacture process and sport 1 GB of DDR3 on the flagship card. I'll believe any of the guesses when I see the cards.

One thing I am hoping for is a real mid priced GPU solution. ATI seems to be floundering at the moment, scrambling to play catchup with Nvidia. Lack of a competitive market is never a good thing for the consumer. Here's hoping round 2 for DX10 cards (or is that DX10.1?) brings us a good value at the ~$250 price point. A 256 bit bus and 512MB of DDR3 standard would be a welcome change in the refresh of the 8600GT.
Dashuu View Drop Down

Quote Dashuu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 2:21pm
The only thing I'm looking forward to about the 9k series from nvidia is a cheaper 8800GTX. Mmmm, freshly outdated components... Big%20smile
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 3:32pm
10.1 is an update to 10.. i still don't understand why people think 10.1 is something completely different when the current high end dx10 cards already support 10.1...

expected release date is november. its been confirmed the cards will be 65nm and able to do 1tflops.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Crulend View Drop Down

Quote Crulend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 3:50pm
Yeah, supposedly Nvidia is on track for a November release.  If they do, then I would think you're going to see an 8900 within the next month.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 4:05pm
There won't be 8900s.. Ultra was the last performance card for the 8 series.
GruntMaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GruntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2007 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Dashuu

The only thing I'm looking forward to about the 9k series from nvidia is a cheaper 8800GTX. Mmmm, freshly outdated components... Big%20smile

Smart thinking...unless you have an unlimited supply of cash...then it really doesn't matter if you pay full price. But I'm with you...I would love to grab another 8800 and switch my pc to SLI as soon as the prices drop.
E6850 [email protected]
nVidia 680i LT
750W Thermaltake
250GB HD
2GB DDR2 Corsair 800Mhz XMS2
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2007 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by skyR

There won't be 8900s.. Ultra was the last performance card for the 8 series.

O looks like I was wrong.. stupid Nvidia -.-

After flipping one innocent coin for a few times the Green Graphics Team, Nvidia has decided to name its upcoming G92 aka G8P cards GeForce 8800 GT. The GeForce 8800 GT will come in two versions, one with 256MB of memory costing $199 and one with 512MB at $249. Both will have a 256-bit memory interface and will be powered by the uber-rumored 65nm-built G92. Both will most likely support DirectX 10.1 and both will have to battle AMD's unpcoming RV670 cards. The release of the 8800 GTs is slated for the first half of November.

Edited by skyR - 30 Sep 2007 at 4:44pm

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2007 at 4:55pm
I still think 10.1 is not the same thing as 10.0 because I have read that the current generation of cards will not support all of the features the next generation of cards will, and that it will not be something a driver can fix. I also read that the 10.0 cards will function without any problems in DX 10.1, just maybe a bit less crisp on the visuals. 

DX10.1 is said to have the following requirements:32-bit floating point filtering, 4x anti-aliasing, and shader model 4.1.

The 8800 Ultra Series card has according to EVGA's website, support for the first two requirements and then some, but uses shader model 4.0.

Perhaps I simply do not understand the concepts involved, but this is where the idea comes from.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2007 at 5:36pm
It is just a minor update... nothing more.

I don't know why people are making such a big deal about this when this happened before already ~-~ DX9c introduced shader 3.0 and nothing became obsolete, tons of people are still using radeon 9800s and X800s.

No developers will be developing for DX10.1 since most developers won't even develop for DX10 yet -.-

8800 series already support 32-bit floating point filtering and 4x AA.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2007 at 6:07pm
SkyR, I think the second part of your 3rd sentence is the reason there is a bit of a fuss.

I don't see any of it as a big deal, particularly since DX10.1 is going to be fully backwards compatible with DX 10.0.

I also have not plunked down the better part of $1k on a graphics card this year and then read that a new version of DX is already in the works before the current version has even seen real use.

TBH, I think by the time DX 10.1 actually sees use, let alone a killer app, most of the people complaining about this very thing right now will want to upgrade their cards anyway. I could be generalizing, but anyone that has to have an 8800 Ultra rather than settle for a run of the mill 8800GTS is probably not going to be happy with a 2 or 3 year old card, which is about the earliest I can see this making any difference.

sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2007 at 2:49am
i have a x600 and I can run cod/cod2/steam games/fear just fine, so don't worry about 10.1
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Stonevulture View Drop Down

Quote Stonevulture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2007 at 2:47pm
I imagine that DX10 vs. DX10.1 will be much like the current impending mini-crisis in gaming with Pixel Shader 3.0.

Basically, not all DX9 cards are created equal - while many older cards are DX9 compatible, only nVidia GeForce 6000-series (or higher) and ATI Radeon x1000-series (or higher) support Pixel Shader 3.0.  For a long time, this wasn't a big deal, but now there is a crop of new games coming out (including CoD4 and the Unreal 3-engine powered FPSes) that require Pixel Shader 3.0 support.  However, it'll have taken 2.5-3.5 years (depending on whether or not you use nVidia or ATI) from the first day a consumer could buy a Pixel Shader 3.0 card before a game came out that required it.

So, the end result is going to be that even if you have a "DX9-compatible" card that still gives relatively decent performance but doesn't support Pixel Shader 3.0 (like a late-model Radeon x800), you'll be incapable of playing all DX9 games.  The only difference is Microsoft didn't make a "DX9.1 standard" to differentiate, so now they look dull because not all of the hardware they certified as DX9-compatible can run all DX9 games.

It may be that in 2.5-3.5 years from now, we'll be having the same problems with DX10 (Pixel Shader 4.0) vs. DX10.1 (Pixel Shader 4.1), but only if there are games that are developed to require Pixel Shader 4.1 features specifically.  However, consider that games requiring Pixel Shader 3.0 are only just now hitting the market, and if anyone's developing a game that requires (not just optionally takes advantage of) Pixel Shader 4.0 - let alone 4.1 - it's likely a long way off.  Plus, by the time a hard requirement for Pixel Shader 4.1 hits the market, most of us will have upgraded video cards - if not whole computers - anyway, so I'd imagine that the risk is very small.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 8:35am

The clocks of the card are set to hover around 600 MHz for the GPU and 1800 MHz for the memory but, at least the core may be set to a higher level so as to better counter AMD upcoming RV670-powered Radeon HD 2950.

source: techconnect

~3 week release.

Edited by skyR - 03 Oct 2007 at 8:35am

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 12:53pm
Whoa.

That's..... gorgeous.

And do my eyes decieve me, or is that single wide?
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 8:23am
The GeForce 8800 GT is now scheduled for a release on Monday, October 29, some two weeks before it was first thought. Thus, Nvidia's newest card will have a three week head start as the RV670 cards are expected around November 19.

The GeForce 8800 GT will come in two version with 256 and 512 MB of GDDR3 memory clocked at 1800 MHz, a core set to 600 MHz and no less than 112 Stream Processors running at 1500 MHz. The 512 MB will soon replace the 320 MB 8800 GTS and will have a 256-bit memory interface. Both versions of the card are expected to be under $249.

source: techconnect

x.X

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 11:06am
Huh. I guess the rumors of a recall of the card by Nvidia were inaccurate. I think it was the Inquirer that had listed something about a need for further "thermal testing" and a request sent out to Nvidia's partners to send back their sample cards.
 Post Reply Post Reply