Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RonF View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RonF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: NVIDIA VS. ATI
    Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 9:42am
Which config is better, dual NVIDIA GTX 280 or dual ATI 4870X2?
MyThLoSt View Drop Down

Quote MyThLoSt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 10:21am
dual 4870x2
RonF View Drop Down

Quote RonF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 11:22am
Are there any head to head comparisons out there?
bradesco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bradesco Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 11:43am
Not sure but dual 4870x2's is like having 4 vid cards. But Nvid is coming out with a new vid card that is supposed to be better than the 4870x2...

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=4705

Edited by bradesco - 19 Nov 2008 at 1:08pm
MyThLoSt View Drop Down

Quote MyThLoSt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 11:53am
um what is the link u posted for lol?
heres one comparison i posted link in middle but u can look trhough it and compare by prices of vid cards

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU1OCwxNCwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

Edited by MyThLoSt - 19 Nov 2008 at 11:56am
bradesco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bradesco Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 12:50pm
Just saying that Nvid was coming out with a x2 type card...
MyThLoSt View Drop Down

Quote MyThLoSt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 12:56pm
it says page not found for me.link not working is what i meant...
bradesco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bradesco Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 1:10pm
Should be fixed now.. Thanks
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 3:32pm
then new nvidia dual core will take care of 4870x2, specially since 4870x2 does not have its own drivers, so you can't even take full advantage of the card right now, it works fine but you are not using all its potentials till it has its own drivers.

only in high resolutions does the 4870x2 beat the GTX, but with a dual card you can handle that.

so in short its preference, no matter which way you go, you gonna drop some $$
RonF View Drop Down

Quote RonF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 9:53am

Who is providing the video driver for Nvidia? Has there been any driver related issues?

Rad!caL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rad!caL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 11:37am
The new dual 260 is not going to beat the 4870 X2. Because they'll just be slapping two 260's together and call it something new and exciting. Just like with the 9800 GX2.

Truth is, the 4870 X2 is the faster card on the planet. And it can run a lot quicker with some light overclocking and when ATI releases their next major driver update which will unlock some of the X2's locked features.

The 4870 X2 getting faster...that's a scary thought Thumbs%20Down.
JG View Drop Down

Quote JG Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 12:09pm
Whichever you get it will be surpassed by another iteration of cards in a few months. Its maddening trying to keep up with what is happening with vid cards. Every time I buy a top end card, it is $200 cheaper 6 weeks later.

GTX 280 1MB is great, the best nVidia has done to date, but the latest ATI 512MB (some articles I have read show that the 4870 512MB is very close to the nVidia 280 in performance) and the amazing ATI 2GB card are superior to what nVidia has right now.

The GTX 280 should run whatever you want unless you are maxing out resolutions on a 30 inch or dual monitor.

I personally prefer nVidia and just got a 280 GTX even though there is anlaysis that the new ATI cards are superior. Some games are optimized for nVidia, that is something to consider.

You can find all kinds of comparisons of these vid cards easily, just google it. The balance of them say ATI is superior right now especially when you factor in the price comparison.
Nomak View Drop Down

Quote Nomak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 1:00pm
Thats what i thought, why would they make a special driver for HD 4870x2 when it already smokes any other card put against it?

Not a good business decision, but when and if nvid manages to get their sh*t together they will unlock its features to stay on top.
Rad!caL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rad!caL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2008 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Nomak

Thats what i thought, why would they make a special driver for HD 4870x2 when it already smokes any other card put against it?

Not a good business decision, but when and if nvid manages to get their sh*t together they will unlock its features to stay on top.

I know it's brilliant. It's like getting a free upgrade.
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2008 at 2:23am
I used dual 4870 X2's and dual 280 GTX's in the past. The 4870 X2's were definitely the fastest by a good margin. However, I ran into so many game compatibility problems that I switched to the 280 GTX.

The 4870 X2 had problems with these games:
     Crysis
     Tomb Raider Anniversary
     Tomb Raider Underworld
     Half Life 2: Episode 2

I think driver updates have fixed all of the problems by now. However, I lost patience and just switched to Nvidia. So far I've been very happy with Nvidia.
Knyghtmare View Drop Down

Quote Knyghtmare Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 10:18pm
My original video card was an ATI (nothing near what you all are talking about... a 1600 or something) which I couldn't keep working.  I kept getting direct x errors. 
The drivers were a pain in the tush to update for ATI and it never worked right... so I switched to NVIDIA and couldn't be happier.

I won't return to an ATI card unless my computer skills improve exponentially...
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 10:21pm
ever since amd took over ati, it went down the drain with problems
Rad!caL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rad!caL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 1:20am
That explains why ATI has owned the top speed crown since the 4870 X2 came out Disapprove.

But during AMD's acquisition of ATI, it's clear that they weren't able to compete at the highest level for over a year. But now I'm glad that ATI is back and releasing top performing cards again.
Slater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Slater Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 3:10am
When do you think ATI will get some good drivers? Maybe after NVIDIA released its X2 ATI will send it back to the shelf's without even putting a new card into production. That would be nice.

Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 7:37am
Wasn't Quad Support in general a bit flimsy regardless of the brand?

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=609&pageid=8  Drivers used at the time, and brand types aside.  Pretty huge gap there.  (Even for Half Life 2 which was optimized for ATI....)

Even with the charts from the guru3d site, out of every other resolution the x2 only wins at 2560 res.

Still if you're honestly after numbers like that: GTX 280, otherwise 4870 X2 is probably better price:performance wise.  (Since all that matters in the end is a steady stream of 60-75 fps after turning on Vsync.)
"People believe in people who believe in others."

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 8:05am
I don't suppose you're saying this after messing with the visual settings on the Control Panel of both brands right?

Since monitor is also a deciding factor at that point as well.  If anything the only comparison between an ATI and Nvidia screenshot of the same scene in a game that I've noticed was sometimes texture appearance, but that in itself was so minuscule and rarely occured, it didn't really matter.

Edited by Axel Daemon - 11 Dec 2008 at 8:13am
Rad!caL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rad!caL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 11:47am
FYI: The new 8.12 drivers are out now and offer speed boosts in many games.

The thing about the X2 vs. 280. The X2 is already faster than the 280 and it will get significantly faster over time as ATI unlocks it's speed through drivers. God forbid it's price drops...

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 2:12pm
If I wasn't concerned about slot usage on the motherboard, I may have ended up with the 4870X2 ahaah.  But seeing as how my setup uses just about every slot, next best thing would be GTX 280.
Rad!caL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rad!caL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 2:58pm
At least you can fit 2 4870 X2's and 1 PCIe slot together on the Rampage II.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Rad!caL

That explains why ATI has owned the top speed crown since the 4870 X2 came out Disapprove.But during AMD's acquisition of ATI, it's clear that they weren't able to compete at the highest level for over a year. But now I'm glad that ATI is back and releasing top performing cards again.

only 4 month of kingdom is not much and once the gtx285 or what ever it is comes out, they won't be king anymore, but the fact that it does not have its own drivers after 4 month tells you how crappy they are.
Lem_Nx View Drop Down

Quote Lem_Nx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

only 4 month of kingdom is not much and once the gtx285 or what ever it is comes out, they won't be king anymore, but the fact that it does not have its own drivers after 4 month tells you how crappy they are.

Crappy people, or brilliant business men? Why put resources towards improving a product while it is still selling well? I think it's seling well...
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 5:01pm
Hmm let me see, I pay 500 to buy their product and the fact that they don't support proper drivers for it, hmm is that bunch of greedy f**ckers that didn't give me what I should have gotten from day one.

So next time you buy your g15 or what ever mouse and keyboard you get, I hope you are OK with their basic functions till logitech feels like releasing the proper drivers for it, say 5 month later.

now does that make logitech brilliant business men or bunch of cheap greedy mfrs?

I love how lack of dignity and class and a simple give me what I paid for, are not looked at being brilliant.

there is nothing brilliant about cheating people from what is rightfully their and they paid for.

take out dignity, class, common sense and the fact that you should get everything you paid for, and instead don't' give a f**k about the customer and what they deserve, I guess it would look like brilliance, but if you know what being brilliant really is then I don't see how you could make that mistake.

1bril·liant
Pronunciation:
\ˈbril-yənt\
Function:
adjective

1: very bright : glittering <a brilliant light>
2 a: striking , distinctive <a brilliant example> b: distinguished by unusual mental keenness or alertness

Now I don't know who taught you that taking advantage of people is being "distinguished by unusual mental keenness or alertness", taking advantage of people takes no intelligence or special skill, you just need to be a low life motherF**ker.

you want to call low lifes brilliant, just based on money, go ahead, but a "brilliant business man" is a lot more then just somebody who makes alot of money by any means possible, by those standards, every crook is a brilliant business man.

Edited by DST4ME - 11 Dec 2008 at 5:03pm

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 5:21pm

If you're referring to that lone black one, no thanks to that center heatsink (Xonar D2X anyone?  Won't fit in that black one that's for sure lol).  Almost anything with a decent length won't fit there.  Assuming by the color coding the two blue PCI-E x16 are 2.0

Thankfully you can just buy some after-market center heatsink to clear up the spacing.  (And is thankfully available)

Edited by Axel Daemon - 11 Dec 2008 at 5:22pm
Rad!caL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rad!caL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 10:33pm

That explains why ATI has owned the top speed crown since the 4870 X2 came out Disapprove.But during AMD's acquisition of ATI, it's clear that they weren't able to compete at the highest level for over a year. But now I'm glad that ATI is back and releasing top performing cards again.

They do have their own drivers...they just came out this week. What's funny though, is that the 4870 X2 without it's own drivers still has been the top performer since it came out.

It's forward thinking on ATI's part, releasing something that runs blazing fast and allow it to become even faster over time. Brilliance if you ask me.

And sorry a couple 260's glued together in a rush are not going to out perform a single-PCB 4870 X2. And the GTX 295 is going to basically be a 280 with die shrink and not much else.

Originally posted by Axel Daemon

If you're referring to that lone black one, no thanks to that center heatsink (Xonar D2X anyone?  Won't fit in that black one that's for sure lol).  Almost anything with a decent length won't fit there.  Assuming by the color coding the two blue PCI-E x16 are 2.0

Thankfully you can just buy some after-market center heatsink to clear up the spacing.  (And is thankfully available)

No I'm talking about the very bottom PCIe slot. You can put both 4870 X2's in the 2 blue slots and the bottom white PCIe can be used for anything.

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 11:08pm
...... OOOOPS  oh right silly me.  I completely forgot the general rule of thumb that x16s can be even used for x1 interface hardware.

On a serious note, have you found any type of hardware (maybe TV Tuners aside??) that can fit in that black one, aside from the sound card that comes with the mobo?  I really think it's more logical sounding to replace that heatsink with something else.

And, while I'm all up for purchasing a 4870 X2 just as I am with GTX 280s.  (Just one fits more nicely with my setup), it's really.... how should I put it hard(or awkward) how you're sticking to the 4870 x2 like hot glue..... trying my best not to say the fb word lol.

Edited by Axel Daemon - 11 Dec 2008 at 11:09pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2008 at 1:04am

[QUOTE=Rad!caL] That explains why ATI has owned the top speed crown since the 4870 X2 came out Disapprove.But during AMD's acquisition of ATI, it's clear that they weren't able to compete at the highest level for over a year. But now I'm glad that ATI is back and releasing top performing cards again.

It's forward thinking on ATI's part, releasing something that runs blazing fast and allow it to become even faster over time. Brilliance if you ask me.

LOL its too funny you call not getting the speed you should have had right from the start brilliance

be sure to tell DS not to give the OC your paid for and instead 6 month later OC your PC, cause its a brilliant idea

they give you something fast and down the road it gets faster I mean who cares about what you paid for and what you should get its forward thinking, or better knows as "getting ripped off and loving it"

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Dec 2008 at 1:06am
Slater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Slater Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2008 at 2:50am
http://www.amdzone.com/index.php/news/drivers/10921-catalyst-812-drivers-released

Those are some decent increases on some games (sorry if I am behind I just now looked at the new drivers).

Rad!caL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rad!caL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2008 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Axel Daemon

...... OOOOPS  oh right silly me.  I completely forgot the general rule of thumb that x16s can be even used for x1 interface hardware.

On a serious note, have you found any type of hardware (maybe TV Tuners aside??) that can fit in that black one, aside from the sound card that comes with the mobo?  I really think it's more logical sounding to replace that heatsink with something else.

And, while I'm all up for purchasing a 4870 X2 just as I am with GTX 280s.  (Just one fits more nicely with my setup), it's really.... how should I put it hard(or awkward) how you're sticking to the 4870 x2 like hot glue..... trying my best not to say the fb word lol.

Yeah so far nothing can really fit into those PCIe slots.

I own 2 8800 GTX's currently. In fact I've only bought nVidia products since 2005 because they have been the fastest.

Now ATI owns the high end market with the 4870 X2. It offers a sizable lead over the 280 in both single and multiple card configurations. It has nothing to do with me liking one company over the other, I like what's the best/fastest. Right now that's ATI.

And DST4ME - You clearly do not understand the concept. If I was ATI and I made a product that was vastly superior to nVidia's top card why would I make it 3 times as fast at release? People would still buy it if there was even 10-20% increase in performance. Instead I would handicap it a little and through drivers, increase it's performance over time to compete with nVidia's new cards.

Yeah it's definitely smart.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2008 at 5:26pm

And DST4ME - You clearly do not understand the concept. If I was ATI and I made a product that was vastly superior to nVidia's top card why would I make it 3 times as fast at release? People would still buy it if there was even 10-20% increase in performance. Instead I would handicap it a little and through drivers, increase it's performance over time to compete with nVidia's new cards.Yeah it's definitely smart.

Rad like I said, you go ahead and pay for stuff and not get everything you are due till 6month after your purchase, some of us are smart enough to know that when I pay for my keyboard, you better have the drivers for it or I'm not buying, when I buy my GPU, you better have the drivers for it or I'm not buying, when I buy my PC no matter how fast it is, you better have the drivers for its components otherwise I'm not going to purchase.

The 4870 X2 just got new drivers this week fixing a large amount of issues with games.

there are people that think its OK for ATI to have the problems you are talking about and then there is the rest of us that are smart enough to avoid those problems you are talking about.

But you go ahead and keep throwing your money at products that don't have proper drive and support, but don't ask us to do stupid stuff like that, you wanna throw your money away that is your business, I think DS customers found this place by being smart enough to know not to throw their money away, otherwise they would be shopping at Alienware

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2008 at 8:22pm
Yes HM it did work right out of the box, but wouldn't you want the full capabilities of the card you paid good money for, the day you got it, instead of abilities that are just now available after 5 or 6 month, due to proper drivers?

I'm not saying its not a good card, I'm not saying its not a fast card.

I'm saying you not being able to use the card to its full capabilities from day one is BS and something you paid for and should have gotten. Nothing in million mile radius of brilliant there.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Dec 2008 at 8:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>