FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oc graphics card

Post Date: 2012-11-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tju76 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: oc graphics card
    Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 9:57am
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you can help me with this question will oc a graphics card help raise my average fps when gaming on triple monitor large resolution setups or will it only raise max. I can't really test this out as I still need my other two monitors, also does anyone have experience running bf3 on 3 24in monitors using sli gtx 680 2gb cards what setting do you play at and what fps do you get
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 1:16pm
Maybe I can answer this one for you tju76.
I have a 2 week old DS Black Ops HailStorm, Level 4 LCS on the CPU with a 360 rad, and 2 x SLI EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4G cards OverClocked on air. I have a single 120mm Zalman window intake fan feeding the GPU's fresh air. I love the sound of those 80 mm radial fans on the Classified cards working hard to keep my GPU's cool, so I boosted the fan curve to ramp them up faster. I'm running (3) Dell U2412M e-IPS 16 x 10 displays using Nvidia 2D @ 5760 x 1200.   

Using the EVGA Precision X utility, with Sync on, Power Target is set to 100%, the GPU offset is +20 MHZ, and the Mem Clock ofset is +40 mhz. Those are the OC settings DS applied to the already EVGA factory OC cards, usually about +10%. My idle temps for the warmer top card run around 29-31C...at load I see 46-49C.

In BF3 my video card memory use runs about 55%, or just over 2 gb in use on each 4 GB card using a mix of Ultra & High video settings, and I get a fairly solid 50 FPS at 5760 x 1200. BF3 is one of the better titles for fairly high fps running triple displays. Hope that helps answer the question.....
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 7:16pm
okay thanks yeah my biggest concern is the vram limit so that will limit what graphic settings i can use, just cant wait to play bf3 on triple monitors
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 1:07am
You will find it takes some time getting used to playing 5760 x 1200 in games, keeping track of all that extra view in the side screens, learning to process more information from your eyes....more mouse travel to move across the wider view (I frequently jam the mouse forward into my desk or sideways against my keyboard...lol) Your Video Ram of 2 GB for each 680 SC will handle most of the games out there right now just fine. Some titles like BF3 and Skyrim will use more v-ram if you have it, but you will be fine. Ramping up to 5760 x 1200 resolution generally requires some settings sacrifices in many games to get your frame rate up where you want it. Some Nvidia SLI optimized titles you can turn all the eye candy up to Ultra settings and you are playing 80-120 fps... More demanding graphics titles like Metro 2033 will be quite playable despite medium settings at 28 fps, but with 3 displays you will always be able to select a reduced resolution for better 3 screen results, or higher settings & FPS by using just one 1920 x 1200 display. Video clips in games, and all your HUD controls/ OSD, and most of the action will be showing on the middle display anyway where your attention is always centered.

BF3 looks incredible & plays smoothly @ 5760 x 1200 ...you'll really be amazed with all the extra scenery. Just give yourself some time to adjust...and some gamers will still prefer single screen gaming. Most will never go back after trying triple screens. I highly recommend it!
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 9:16am
Yeah I just gotta save up for the monitors and a stand
 Post Reply Post Reply