FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OC problems after upgradeto Windows 20H2

Post Date: 2020-11-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SpookyDiver View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SpookyDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: OC problems after upgradeto Windows 20H2
    Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 5:07pm
I was wondering if anyone had problems with their computer locking up after upgrading to Windows 20H2. My problems were fixed after dropping my OC to Automatic settings. Intel can, on modern CPUs inject a microcode to patch their CPUs through a Windows update. There was another intel exploit that was discovered a few weeks back and appears that another microcode was issued by Intel through Windows update. Apparently this micro code update messed up the settings in my BIOS, not by changing the values I enter 1 year and a half ago, but by making them obsolete.
My PC has an Intel i9-9900K which had been running all cores at 5 GHZ for a year and a half without any problems at all, that is until now. I re-entered the values my Bios from scratch but I can no longer overclock it cause the system becomes unstable. Downloading the latest MSI BIOS which has an Intel security update did not help. What seems to help is leaving the ring setting to the default, not 47 like I had before.
I suggest that if Windows 10 20H2 is causing your system to lock up, change your BIOS to a default mode with XMP turned ON and see if that helps you. I google the problem and found many posts validating this issues from September 2018 when Intel released another microcode.

Edit: I was able to OC back to 5 GHZ by drastically increasing the vcore voltage which made the CPU temperature dangerously high, so I gave up. Can someone here, if not a member of this forum but someone from DS tell me what is going on? I was able to keep my system running all cores at 5GHZ for a year and half and then all of the sudden it needs a lot more voltage to run.

Edited by SpookyDiver - 04 Nov 2020 at 9:04pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 11:06pm
Not many members of DS staff wander these forums. You might want to shoot [email protected] a message. He's the tech guru that hangs out here.
SpookyDiver View Drop Down

Quote SpookyDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Not many members of DS staff wander these forums. You might want to shoot [email protected] a message. He's the tech guru that hangs out here.

I noticed that, but I figure DS people read these messages too, after all I spent thousands on my system.
I just finished a 15 minutes stress test using Aida64 and was able to fix my problem. I had to switch the voltage to "Adaptive" starting with 3.2 which is what I had before the Windows update. By running HWinfo64 on my second monitor I can see how the voltage goes up and down based on my usage. My temps are also back to normal. Thank you at least for the reply 8)
 Post Reply Post Reply