FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old HD in new build

Post Date: 2021-02-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KJG67 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KJG67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Old HD in new build
    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 6:16am
Hi - a basic question, but is there any issue with moving my current 1TB WD Caviar-Black HD, which is also my current Win10 boot drive, with a lot of personal stuff, pics, etc, into my new build? Some of it's backed up on the cloud - some not.

It's my current boot drive, and know I can't run any programs installed on it on the new system. Anything I need to be concerned about with Windows also installed on the old HD? The BIOS should just point to the SSD to boot - just wondering if there would be any conflict that I'm not aware of. I also have an HDD Docking station as well I could use, if that's a better option.

New build should have a 3rd slot:

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z490-P / MSI Z490-A Pro (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks

Thanks for the advice.
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 7:49am
https://askleo.com/can_i_move_my_old_computers_hard_drive_to_my_new_computer/

You shouldn't have any problems using it as a data drive. You certainly won't be able to boot from it, and any programs on that drive that had specific configuration/registry information will have to be reinstalled using the new boot drive.
KJG67 View Drop Down

Quote KJG67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by GrandesBollas

https://askleo.com/can_i_move_my_old_computers_hard_drive_to_my_new_computer/

You shouldn't have any problems using it as a data drive. You certainly won't be able to boot from it, and any programs on that drive that had specific configuration/registry information will have to be reinstalled using the new boot drive.

Thanks, and appreciate the link. I think I had seen this as well. I've installed extra drives, so that should be straight forward. Appreciate the reassurance no issue with it currently being a boot drive with the OS already installed there as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply