Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: On-board audio
    Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 4:48pm
Still working on a budget system, and now I'm looking at sound options. I have a Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speaker system,  now I'm wondering if  any gamers out there are just using on-board audio with good results, or are you wishing you went with a audio card instead?

I also like listening to CDs when not gaming.

Also I here that the X-fi sound cards can actually help increase FPS in certain games, is this true?

Edited by Jeff - 06 Oct 2007 at 4:52pm
william View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote william Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 4:51pm
i am i don't see a prob
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 5:20pm
i can't tell the difference between integrated audio and dedicated audio unless the room and sound system is superb.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
donkeypunch View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 7:38pm
They say the X-Fi cards can take some of the audio processing off of the processor by having a dedicated sound card, therefor giving you a few more FPS in games. I think the differance would be minimal-but yes, a slight improvement. The newer motherboards apparently have pretty good onboard sound these days though. The Diamond P6N has a built in X-Fi card as well. 
Jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 8:13pm

Thanks for the post guys, working in my--getting tighter by the day--budget I have to decide between:

LT + X-fi
or
A1 + on-board

which way would you go?

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 8:19pm
If you're into OC'ing definitly go with the A1+onboard. You will get a better OC with that board and I think the onboard sound will be ok for you. If not you can always buy a cheap aftermarket soundcard and pop it right in to get a few extra framerates in your games.

If you go with the LT+x-fi and decide you want a better MB it will be a hassle taking your whole computer apart to replace it. Just my opinion of course.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 8:20pm
A1. get a usb headset.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 8:22pm
I also wanted to add, you can get a Sound Blaster Audigy card for like $25 down the road. It has similar on board processing that will take some load off your computer.
Jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 10:55pm
Original Post by donkeypunch

If you're into OC'ing definitly go with the A1+onboard. You will get a better OC with that board and I think the onboard sound will be ok for you. If not you can always buy a cheap aftermarket soundcard and pop it right in to get a few extra framerates in your games.

If you go with the LT+x-fi and decide you want a better MB it will be a hassle taking your whole computer apart to replace it. Just my opinion of course.

Yes, my plans right now are calling for a Stage 3 E6750

And also a good point about updating--alot easier to put in a sound card later than change out a motherboard.

Original Post by skyR

A1. get a usb headset.

I have a good set of headphones(Sennheiser eH150)now, what would I gain by going to a set of usb headphones?

Edited by Jeff - 06 Oct 2007 at 10:57pm
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 11:20pm

They've lost me on the USB thing too.

Also when stating that soundcards are only good with "good audio systems" I am similarly lost. I don't understand why a good audio system needs more than the MoBo's outputs. Other than maybe easier cabling with a Toslink over analog 7.1 channel input?

I would have thought a good soundcard combined with a powered speaker set  would be something you use in place of a decent sound system. Sort of a semi good audio on a budget approach. $1100 for a nice sound card and decent powered speaker set beats the heck price wise out of what a real audio system runs.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 11:20pm
usb headsets are digital which will produce better sound than the integrated sound card.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 11:58pm
SkyR, when you say "produce better audio" is this a decoder issue with the onboard sound? Is the built in D to A decoder better in the headsets you're thinking of?
commast View Drop Down
  Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2007 at 1:09am
Having a dedicated sound card will move all sound processing to the soundcard's processor instead of relying on the CPU to do that. To my ears Smile  a dedicated sound card sounds much better than a built-in even on a 2.1 speakers setup, but YMMV. Built-in sound also has low S/N ratio and has an inferior sound processor. Go for the built-in if you can't hear the difference.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2007 at 1:44am
Ok, now it makes sense. Less than perfect decoder and pre amp stages for the built in sound. 

So... back to the headsets... is that being processed in the cpu and sent via USB to the headset? In other words, is the only gain to be had from these headsets better speakers than a typical set of cheap desktop speakers? 
Jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2007 at 2:30am

Would plugging in a 5-yr old Audigy card into a new 680i A1 board be wise? There is no support for this card anymore so there's no updated drivers for it. Am I asking for trouble using this old card with a new board?

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2007 at 1:55pm
You could certainly go with the X-Fi cards that have continual support, I was just giving an example of a cheaper budget card as an option. I dont know if your going to be using Vista, in which case Vista wont support DirectSound3D. You would have to get an X-Fi card with ALchemy for Vista. My point is there are aftermarket cards you can get on the cheap that will support on board processing, either with Vista or XP.  Smile

Heres a blurb from IGN about Vista going the software route and disabling onboard hardware support:

"Creative is now working to include full EAX support through OpenAL for use with Windows Vista, which I will be keen to see since OpenAL is cross platform, with support for Mac, Linux, Xbox 360, Windows, and others," he said. At the end of the day, the changes in Vista's audio stack will have far reaching effects. Like any launch of a new version of Windows, there'll be a period of adjustment while drivers and software are tweaked for compatibility, and Vista will be no exception. There's also the big question surrounding the future of hardware accelerated audio, but it may take years to see where that leads.

For the time being, if you're using Vista, download your ALchemy patch, update your drivers and play the game surrounded by sound - the way it should be played. Well, provided you're running an X-Fi that has native OpenAL 1.1 support. Sadly Audigy and Soundblaster users might find themselves looking for a new sound card, and EAX for non X-Fi users could be a thing of the past."

I've read some good reviews on sound cards other than Creatives lineup as well. Auzentech comes to mind as a branch of of Creative but has some great added features like Dolby Digital real time encoding. In any case-theres a slew of after market sound cards that are easy to put in depending on your needs at the time and what OS your running. Many choices to pick from, and much easier than replacing a mobo. Big%20smile Heres Auzentech help page answering questions about how they improve over on board audio, vista compatibility, etc.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/support/FAQ.php

Edited by donkeypunch - 07 Oct 2007 at 2:25pm
Jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2007 at 7:46pm

Interesting stuff donkeypunch, since I'm going to Vista I'm beginning to think I'm better off waiting six months till tax time next year(or if the holidays are really good to me, sooner), I don't feel like buying something now just to have to add or update in six months anyway. Plus then I can get what I really want(Quad-core, X-fi, GTX)instead of having to scale back under my current budget.

But until then I will still look to this excellent community for advice, info and what to look for when I'm ready to place that call to DS.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2007 at 8:03pm
I had the same thinking as you about waiting for the next big thing to be released, and then when that came out the new latest and greatest gizmo would be on the horizon so I would wait again! Technology moves so fast its almost like you just have to jump right in. I actually went with the components you mentioned-quad core, GTX, and X-Fi. Big%20smile

In any event, when finances allow, or if Santa permits Tongue,I wish you well in building your dream machine and hope you come back and consider Digital Storm. They're a great bunch of people and are always willing to help their customers design the system of their dreams. At least I know they helped me tremendously in my build. Good luck!
Jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2007 at 8:44pm
Thanks for the nice words donkeypunch, I agree with you about staying up with the latest and greatest, as much as I would like to buy right now I just feel like I would be settling, and that leeds to regret. I want to be able to say when my computer comes that it's just what I wanted, and will give me several years of enjoyment--not constant updating. And I think thats worth waiting for.

As far as DS--Yes! definitely. I've looked at Vigor, Velocity Micro, Maingear, Xi, Alienware-but Dell trashed it. And I kept coming back to DS, and not just for the forums, but because of the unbelievable customer service I read about here and elsewhere. Plus the pricing is great compaired to the--in my opinion--over priced competition.

So as I said before I will be still lurking around the forums gathering advice and info my next build.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2007 at 11:15pm
Agreed. Its great finally getting the computer thats just right. I can only imagine all the cool new components you'll have to choose from in 6 months time. Tongue I'm sure I'll be on the forums for some time as well and look forward to seeing you around and seeing what you decide to go with. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply