Post Date: 2008-01-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kemplar View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kemplar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: On or Off
    Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 8:53am
I've read lots about whether leaving your pc on or turning it off is better and it seems that it really doesn't matter. I would like to see what my fellow DS owners do with theres. Do you leaving you box on all the time or do you turn it off for the night. Also my PSU keeps making a loud ticking noise (order # 5745) but stops after the pc warms up. I tried to see what the issue was and it appears the fan inside the psu is rubbing against something. Unfortunately I'm not going to try and open the psu to fix it. Well I'd be interested to hear about the on/off question from you guys.

Thanks
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 9:35am
If I'm away from the computer for an hour or less, standby.

If it's going to be longer than that, off.

I'm not running a business where having to do a cold start of a network is an issue. Maybe I'm shaving months off the 10 year expected life span of my computer. IMO, who cares? There's a very, *very* slim chance I would still want this computer in 10 years. My electric bill is a monthly certainty.
Venture View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Venture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 10:29am
At night, I have mine set to run a backup, updates, etc., and then shutdown after a couple of hours (freeware program that does this in XP).  On a weekend day, if I'm home, I generally just leave it on because I hop on and off with no set pattern.
780i MB
E6850 3.00GHz
8800GT 512MB
6GB Corsair 800MHz Dominator
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Dog Lover View Drop Down

Quote Dog Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 11:17am

My home monster DSO computer is used 90 % for gaming, and then bill paying and email / web surfing.  I only have it on when I am using it.  When I am finished, I shut it down completely. The only exception is if I know that with in the hour or so I will be getting back on. 

I have read blogs where people say shutting it down shortens the life span of the hard drive and other components because it makes them work harder to start everything up all the time.  I understand what they are saying but I really think leaving it on all the time, even under a small load, will wear everything out much faster.  I can see if you are starting and stopping it 10 or 15 times a day, but I may start and shut mine down two or three times a day, maximum, so I dont think that applies.

As for you power fan problem, yikes, I say call DSO and have them help you out.  I think they are the ones you should have help you troubleshoot it.  I bet they would send you a new one asap if there is even the slighest issue.

Extreme Case
850 Watt Thermaltake
Qx6850 3.0 Ghz (stock speed)
780i Motherboard
4 G, 1066 RAM
2X SLI GTX 260, 896
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Thermoelectric Liquid Chilled
Windows 7,64b
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 12:15pm
Mine is on 24/7. It's a waste of time (1-2 minutes) to turn it on and off everyday.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
nomec View Drop Down

Quote nomec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 1:09pm
I usually just keep mine on.  I plug my mp3 player into its usb port every night to charge and my phone actually has a usb charger that I usually just use as well.  Also, I have instant messenger up almost all the time so it's obviously not working when the cpu is off.
QX6850 @ 3.33ghz
Nvidia 680i A1
4gb pc1066 RAM
2x GTX 275s
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Vince View Drop Down

Digital Storm Engineering

Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 2:41pm
I keep mine set to standby after 40 minutes of no activity.

Also my PSU keeps making a loud ticking noise (order # 5745) but stops after the pc warms up. I tried to see what the issue was and it appears the fan inside the psu is rubbing against something

This is a rather common issue with the Corsair 520w PSU's.  To fix it, simply push firmly on the mesh part on the back of the PSU -- the side where the power cable plugs into.  There is a clear plastic sheet, who's corner interferes with the PSU's fan.  Pressing on the PSU bends the plastic sheet so it doesn't get in the way of the fan.  You can do this while the computer is on so you can tell if it worked or not.

This was most likely done to your order before it was shipped out, but UPS or just shipping in general may have jostled that plastic sheet back to interfere with the fan. 
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 4:14pm
I work off mine all day long.  It stays on 24/7.  If I take a vacation and know I'm going to be gone for a few days, or go on a business trip for the week, I'll shut it down.  But for the most part, it stays on all the time.  It's quiet and runs like a cheetah.  

Edited by EdH63 - 22 Jan 2008 at 4:14pm
Digitalkryme View Drop Down

Quote Digitalkryme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 7:25pm
Mines on 24/7 even when on holiday, its set that if a power cut it will come back on and start the programs i have running all the time.

Also my system used to be in my bedroom so now i cant sleep without the noise of a fan in the background lol

Before you mock someone, walk a mile in their shoes, then at least your a mile away and have their shoes as well :)
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 8:31pm
24/7 unless 24 hours or more of away
phantomdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phantomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 6:44am
I always turn mine off when not planning to use it within a couple of hours.  I put a meter on the monitor & computer and was amazed at how much juice these things use even when sitting in "idle".  So in terms of saving a few dollars, it makes sense to turn it off.  In the next year when the new electric rates go into effect around here (deregulation), electric rates are supposed to increase on average of 60%...no question as to what I'll be doing even with the new DS system. 
NVIDIA 780i Core 2 Quad
4GB DDR2 Corsair 1066MHz Dominator
2 Quad Core Q9450 3.5Ghz
8800GTX 768MB SLI
Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU
X-FI XtremeGamer
850W SilverStone PSU
TJ-9 Extreme
Vista 64
Kemplar View Drop Down

Quote Kemplar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 4:57pm

Thanks for the responses. I've been turning my computer off at night before bed and turning it on when i get home from work. I leave it on all day on my days off though as I'm usually getting on and off of it frequently.

Update regarding the PSU noise. I ended up just loosening the 4 screws around the fan just a bit and the noise is gone. I suspect the tightness was tweaking the plastic housing around the fan causing it to rub. Maybe this will help anybody else that may be having this issue.
ed1371 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ed1371 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 1:06pm
If you are running liquid cooling, it is advised to turn it off when you arent using it for more than a few hours to preserve the pump life.

:D
Silverstone TJ-10
INTEL 4790K
16 gigs ddr3
ssd and such
liquid cooled cpu
2080 RTX Super
Double_Tap View Drop Down

Quote Double_Tap Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2008 at 12:26am
I left my old PC running 24\7 and I would say it shortened it's life in half. That's why I bought a new one from DS which is way too nice to leave on all the time. I also support over 400 HP servers and know what happens when you have one running for 3 - 4 years and shut it down. There is a chance that one of the hard drives will not spin back up.
DST Extreme Case
620W PS
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
nVidia 680i LT
2GB DDR2 Corsair 1066 MHz
320 GB 7200 RPM
2x SLI 8800GT 512 MB
Liquid Chilled CPU & 2x video
Blood Red
Vista Ultimate 32
 Post Reply Post Reply