FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

One more time--with feeling

Post Date: 2009-06-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: One more time--with feeling
    Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 8:46am

@ DST4ME...  Started this "new" thread...rather than continue the old...as in signifying a break with what I wanted--only yesterday Smile Smile Smile

Here is a NEW (improved, as in Tide detergents...) Ticket # 299809
If you would....could you drag/post it here--not sure/proficient on doing that yet...thanks.

It does have some changes...and believe it still includes all the changes/suggestions you and others have suggested.  Hoping you can give it a once over...so I can call Sarah/James and get itteration going Pinch   Am still wanting to go with the HeatKiller 3.0 waterblock for CPU...but, not sure the one I already ordered fits 920 & 975??

P.S. Last night, I said I hoped things looked "clearer" in the morning...I really hadn't thought I was headed in this direction...but, now that I've started--it seems right.  (...is this the time/place to add that I've been wrong before though Big%20smileSmile)

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 26 Jun 2009 at 8:49am
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 9:01am
All 1366 socket coolers will fit a 1366 chips. lol The 920-975 are the exact same chip dimensionally.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:18am
Originally posted by justin.kerr

All 1366 socket coolers will fit a 1366 chips. lol The 920-975 are the exact same chip dimensionally.

Was thinking it SHOULD be that way...but, then again...it pays to ask/be sure (particularly since I "special ordered" it...and it's on backlog--would want to cancel ASAP if it wasn't going to fit).  Thanks Justin for the comeback...appreciate it. Ermm
e.fruman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e.fruman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:20am
everything looks great but if it was me i would'nt get the blu ray player just buy one on newegg for super cheap, secondly change the sound card to the xonar creative is just not that reliable all the time and i heard great stuff about the asus xonar.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:51am
Originally posted by e.fruman

everything looks great but if it was me i wouldn't get the blu ray player just buy one on newegg for super cheap, secondly change the sound card to the xonar creative is just not that reliable all the time and i heard great stuff about the asus xonar.

The blu ray player is basically for the kids...  As for getting it (cheaper) at newegg...you're probably right--but, my reasoning is wanting to support DSO as much as possible--even if it does cost me a couple bucks more.  Why, because DSO and this forum have been very supportive and It's a way to return the favor.  As for Creative vs. Xonar...(like you) have seen various articles--some for--some against.  I've been lucky/fortunate with Creative in the past--and if anything...I'm loyal till I'm screwed Wink Big%20smileSmile.    Picking computer components is a lot like shoes...if your choices were either a "black" or "brown" pair life would be easier...  Too many choices and we can get lost in (all) the research...to the point where everything begins looking "tan".  Angry  
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 11:27am

Hey man, just want you to know that I will be spending less then that, have pretty much the same rig, minus the blu-ray which is not needed for gaming.  My processor will be less, 920, but it will be overclocked beyond yours, so performance wise, my system will be faster, have the better SSD in Intel 160GB.  I will have tri-SLI, with dual loop liquid cooling and the same fan package, as I was told that was needed.   So I would not recommend that setup, as you could get a much better rig for what you are paying. 

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 11:46am
Originally posted by eastor

Hey man, just want you to know that I will be spending less then that, have pretty much the same rig, minus the blu-ray which is not needed for gaming.  My processor will be less, 920, but it will be overclocked beyond yours, so performance wise, my system will be faster, have the better SSD in Intel 160GB.  I will have tri-SLI, with dual loop liquid cooling and the same fan package, as I was told that was needed.   So I would not recommend that setup, as you could get a much better rig for what you are paying. 

You're right...yours will be better, faster, cheaper...and will be delivered before mine to boot.  But, see that's why I did all this...cuz, now...everyone will be clamoring for a "review" and pics from you--I should be able to slip by unnoticed in your shadow SmileSmile.  At first, I had the Intel 160Gb SSD listed...but, was told (as far as games go) won't make much difference in performance between it and the OCZ 120GB and it's considerably less too.  Yeah, realize the Blu ray is a warm-fuzzy...but, like I said it's for the kids and wife...GOT TO MAKE some accommodations for them Big%20smile  As for going with the 975 vs the 920...it's personal preference/less heat generation etc...rather than peak performance--but, it will be light-years ahead of what I'm using now...I'll be tickled PINK.  Ouch  You're right too...both our machines are very similar builds...we've just shooting at slightly different targets...

Looking forward to reading your review...since one of my parts is on backorder yours will be delivered first I presume...it won't be as good as having mine too--but it'll have to do for the time.  Thanks for the inputs...Ermm Ermm

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 26 Jun 2009 at 11:48am
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 11:58am
Yeah, I am debating on switching to the 975 now...so mine might be more expensive...if I get the 975, it is unlocked for easy overclocking with the classified board...so I just need to find out how much performance gain I will get from switching to the 975.  I feel like I am almost there, if there is little to no gain, then I am there but if I will notice improvements in games such as Flight Sim X or other flight sims...then it might be worth it, as I really want to create a system for fight sim, as becoming a pilot as been a life long dream, and I think this might be the first step. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 1:21pm
I think you should stick with the 920, for all we know you could endup with a 975 that runs hot.

for gaming you guys are not going to notice the difference between the 2 chips.

and you are still getting lc and fan upgrade, so why spend the extra money on 975?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 1:35pm
OK hold on we might get some answers now in eastor's thread.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 1:52pm
Zardoz8719 get in eastor's thread, Alex just explained, and basically its the same thing I was saying, hold off on the fans till you are told you need them, and go back to your old config with the 920, no reason to buy the 975 when you will see no performance gain for your use

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

I think you should stick with the 920, for all we know you could end up with a 975 that runs hot.

for gaming you guys are not going to notice the difference between the 2 chips.

and you are still getting lc and fan upgrade, so why spend the extra money on 975?

You're right of course...you're always right...don't you get tired of being right?  Ok, I'm anxious...no, I'm over-anxious...and I'm spending to make myself feel good--there, are you happy now Geek 

Alright, back to reality...I'll stick with the 920 OC'ed...if you'll let me spend what I save on something important--like a monitor with higher resolution  Smile

I guess, my twisted reasoning went something like this...get the 975 instead of the 920...cuz, if both are OC'ed to stage one--the 975 (percentage wise...will not be OC'ed as high--and at roughly the same 3.8/3.9Mhz...it will run cooler...generating less heat...thus requiring fans to run slower...resulting in less noise.  Sound reasonable...Broken%20Heart  Is that a "no"?

Well, I tried...   I'll just sit here and be happy...waiting for an e-mail from DSO announcing the next stage has been achieved...  I'll be going now...and...again, thanks for the therapy session (just add it to my bill please).... Big%20smile

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 26 Jun 2009 at 2:09pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 2:09pm
Well yes in theory what you are saying about the 975 is right, but its not guaranteed, meaning you could get one that pretty much puts out enough heat that the fans need to run full speed, its a crap shoot, you never know.

good luck

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Well yes in theory what you are saying about the 975 is right, but its not guaranteed, meaning you could get one that pretty much puts out enough heat that the fans need to run full speed, its a crap shoot, you never know.

good luck

Too true...(no guarantees) it is a crap shoot....and a $1,000 one at that!   Now, come to think of it...1K just happens to be a good chunk down on the new 46" Samsung LED LCD tv/monitor I saw recently....Smile  I know...I'm bad.  Evil%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply