FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinion needed for Liquid Cooling

Post Date: 2010-08-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jinkar View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jinkar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Opinion needed for Liquid Cooling
    Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 11:43pm

Hello everyone,

I'm about to have Digital Storm build me a Custom Gaming PC, heard a lot of good thing about them and my PC just died so I needed a good PC that last me a long time.

Anyway I have everything configure out but I can't decided on the Liquid Cooling between the Asetek 120mm Radiator CPU Cooling or the Asetek 240mm Radiator one.  I know the 240mm version will cool the CPU better because it have a larger Radiator and 2 120mm Fan.  I'm just concern about the noise level for the 240mm version since it running 2 big fan and the radiator is bigger.  Can someone who choose the 240mm version tell me about the noise level, and person with 120mm version as well.  I don't want a very noisy PC because this PC will use as a Workstation and also Gaming as well.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 12:00am
the noctua u12p will cool better than either of those and is very very quiet

dont be fooled by the title of the asetek, its not real liquid cooling
Jinkar View Drop Down

Quote Jinkar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 12:18am
I don't know, but I really wanted to get into the Liquid Cooling thing.  My previous setup is Air Cool CPU and it collect so much dust and the Overclocking wasn't great either.  What I like about the Asetek Liquid cool is that it said it required zero maintain and it will last 10 years.
teaiewold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote teaiewold Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 12:49am
Jinkar, if you look at the reviews of the asetek you will find out that it's crap. we can only warn you against it so much. the noctua's will cool your cpu better than the asetek. that you should tell you it's not that great of a LC option. but it's your money so spend it on what you want Big Guy.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 1:16am
@Jinkar,

I would like to chime in and give you an official response.

First off, thank you for your interest in Digital Storm! We would love to earn your business and show you how great of a PC we can build for you.

The Asetek unit isn't bad, but, honestly can also build up dust at the rear radiator just like an air cooler. Even though it is liquid cooling, it isn't as effective as a high-end proper liquid cooling system. In your case, our Notcua cooler might be a better option. The fins also on the heat sinks are not tightly packed as the Noctua's so it wouldn't be so easy for dust to get stuck.

It's also really easy to clean them and the cooling performance is just as if not better than the Asektek.

I hope this helps!
Jinkar View Drop Down

Quote Jinkar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 1:51am
Ok thanks guy, maybe I go with Air Cool.  There a few option and I want to make the right choice.  I can go with the Noctua High Performance Coolor, or the Noctua NH-D14 Extreme.  But it say it will not fit regular EVGA X58 3X SLI.  Does this mean I can't get the EVGA X58 Board if I choose this Cooler?  That would be a shame since I like EVGA X58 Board.

BTW how are the Cooler Master V6?  Does it look like this?  It look pretty nice.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6667
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Jinkar

Ok thanks guy, maybe I go with Air Cool.  There a few option and I want to make the right choice.  I can go with the Noctua High Performance Coolor, or the Noctua NH-D14 Extreme.  But it say it will not fit regular EVGA X58 3X SLI.  Does this mean I can't get the EVGA X58 Board if I choose this Cooler?  That would be a shame since I like EVGA X58 Board.

Do you need the extra three crappy JMicron SATA ports on that motherboard for anything, like connecting a lot of CD/DVD drives? You shouldn't. If not then that board doesn't offer anything that the EVGA x58 LE doesn't, and the LE is cheaper as well.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 9:11am
what dragoon said
+
it doesnt matter much anyway becuase the noctua u12p is just as good as the noctua 14, there is little to nothing to justify the price difference, even if they were the same price, i would choose the u12p

basically, unless youre using stage 3 or higher, the noctua u12p wins, period.

now as far as the cooler master line, they are ok, not as great on performance as the noctua line, but they do look good and will hold you easily up to the 3.5-3.6 ghz range, which is really all you need to game
Jinkar View Drop Down

Quote Jinkar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 9:36am
I saw some people setup with the eVGA X58 Motherboard fitting the Noctua NH-D14?  Or maybe it is just the U12P since they do look similar.

The Noctua does look like a good Air Cooler, but it just not doing it for me.  For once, the fan is so ugly lol.  So I'm thinking about the Cooler Master V6 GT now.  It look very nice and look like a good CPU Cooler.  Just a little concern what is the noise level on this thing?  I don't mind small hum like the Zalman CPU Cooler, as long as it is not so loud since this Computer will also be a Workstation.

Maybe people who own the Cooler Master V6 can give me your opinion on the cooling and the noise level.  I will have the system be overclock by DS.

Thanks everyone.
teaiewold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote teaiewold Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 9:40am
the noctua's are the bee's knee's if you buy any air cooled solution from DS it should be those.

you could also buy a different CPU cooling system that you like the "looks" of and send it to DS or have them buy the one you want.
Jinkar View Drop Down

Quote Jinkar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:11am
Why did DS discontinue the Cooler Master V8 in their selection.  Lots of people recommended it.
teaiewold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote teaiewold Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:24am
because it's poop maybe?? i haven't seen one person recommend it since i've been on the forums.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:48am
i dont know why so many people on here acts like such little differences are so extreme
the noctua u12p is better than the v8, but not by a gigantic amount, air cooling plateaus so fast that it starts not to matter very quickly how good you are

i was inches away from getting the v8 because it looks so much better and its CM like my case, yes im a brand whore, but in the end i chose the noctua becuase i like to overclock as an actual hobby, so the 2-4c load difference matters to me, but DSO doesnt even overclock (for free) high enough for that to matter, so for most of the people looking for a gaming rig on here its not going to matter at all
Jinkar View Drop Down

Quote Jinkar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 1:06pm
Hey guys I'm a little confused here, I'm pretty sure I will go with the Noctua NH-D14 since it best for Air Cooling.  Just kinda disappointing that I can't get the CM V8 anymore.

I did some research and lookup Noctua on their official website and it stated that it will fit on eVGA X58 LE Motherboard.  But on the option here it stated it doesn't fit?  There even people with pictures posting picture of the same configuration using Nocuta NH-D14 with eVGA X58 LE Motherboard.  So I'm lost here, what the deal with that.  Maybe an Worker at DS can tell me if it fit or not?  Am I ok with getting the Nouctua NH-D14 with eVGA X58 LE motherboard or not?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 1:08pm
The Noctua NH-D14 doesn't fit on the "EVGA x58 3X SLI" (according to DS anyway..).

That is not the same as the EVGA x58 LE. It fits on the LE just fine.
Lilim
SemperFuzz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SemperFuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 1:24pm
I had the CM V-8 on a bulid that showed up broken and i sent it back it was from anothr vendor not DS.  The mounting brackets on the V-8 is Weak!  it shifted and the dislodged from the CPU only slightly and the computer would not boot.

I am having DS comment on painting the fan shrouds on the Noctua 14 to black or Red since the white is hideous.  Waiting for a response from Sarah.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 1:29pm
you could always just paint it on your own or have them paint it for a little extra

but really, honestly, how often do you see your heatsink
plus with cathode lights in the case it will change the color/appearence anyway

and without cathodes you likely wouldnt even be able to see the heatsink
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 1:33pm
Yeah well placed cathode lights can really help. I mean look at this Noctua NH-D14 in the HAF X with a red cathode near it. Sweetness!

Optionally you could probably just get some red LED replacement fans for it. Big%20Smile

Lilim
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 1:39pm
you could but a big part of noctua's success is how good those fans are AND how insanely quiet they are
i tried replacing mine with much stronger and lounder scythe slipstream fans and my gains were minimal
if you go down to different looking fans you might as well just get the v8 if you like the looks better becuase youll pay more for the noctua and then nerf its performance
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Jinkar

Why did DS discontinue the Cooler Master V8 in their selection.  Lots of people recommended it.

The new revision they made has a very weak bracket which breaks in shipping. We don't want to supply our customers with sub-par products.
Matt6767 View Drop Down

Quote Matt6767 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 3:20pm

Shame I ordered my computer with the V6 gt, should've went with noctua. Oops

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 3:28pm
youll never know the difference
 Post Reply Post Reply