Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zieno View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: opinions! :3
    Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 8:03pm
Budget:

Expectations:
I am hoping for a system that can play any game out at the moment on high settings, be able to run small servers ( minecraft mostly )since my current laptop doesn't have the power to run one. It would also be nice if it would last me more than a year...

Usage:
going to be using it on more heavy gaming, Starcraft, Crysis, you name it. AND web surfing of course, and server hosting.

Special Needs:
I don't mind a little noise but I would like it to be more on the silent side, my room, isn't very dusty I clean it every few days, not going to say every day because that just isn't true :p

Saved Ticket #: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=569272

That build was something I personally thought was nice, yes 24gb is overkill but so! I like that big number

If you guys can find a build that just, or near as good, with higher than 8 gb ram, and if possible the hailstorm case (love it so much). stage 4 or above cooling, for a lower price feel free to post, I really need a new computer. Or if you just want to comment if the build I have is good or not and make some money saving suggestions feel free.

Edited by Zieno - 26 Jun 2011 at 8:47pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 9:01pm
What res you gaming at?

the 2600k will do much better then 960.

even tho you have 24GB of ram, only little over 12GB can be used, the rest can't be used due to limitation.

also when you put that much ram in a system, it will stress the controller, and in this case for no reason, sine you don't need it, and only 12GB of it can be used.

I would move you to the p67 platform.

I'm not sure what it takes to run multiple servers for mine craft tho.

your killer 2100 card, fan upgrade, fan controller all all pointless really, as far as performance goes.

Noise Suppression is pointless and contradictory to what you are doing.

wait just realize you picked a 23", you want tri sli 470 for that monitor for mine craft?

I'm stuck asking you, why do care to have stuff that will see no gain from, in other words we can come and take some parts out and if we didn't tell you, you would never notice, I mean if you like to have them to have them that is fine, but I'm just wondering what is the point of having something that is no use, this is just for my understanding, again its your pc, you should get what you want.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Jun 2011 at 9:06pm
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 9:27pm
hmmm thanks for that advice on the 2600k, and no not all that is for minecraft good sir, crysis and such to, since i already have the game on steam but this laptop is utter crap. the reason i went with 24 was because even with a small minecraft server with 3 other poeple on my ram was gone in seconds, my computer slowed, and it was just horrible not to mention the overheating , but if your right about only 12 gb can be used i'll just do that, i'll get rid of the noise supression.

this is what I have now on the config saved myself a few hundred dollars :o

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=570994

Edited by Zieno - 26 Jun 2011 at 9:31pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 9:37pm
You are limited to 12GB due to win 7 home pro, it can only use total of 16GB of ram with gpu ram included.

so if you think you need/will use 24GB, change os to win 7 pro.

on your new config, go with deluxe, maximus has not much to offer.

change gpus to 570 sli, thats plenty for crysis at your res.

drop the fan upgrade it does not do much your have LC and they have fans.

change your lighting to uv light, you got uv tubes, they won't shine without uv light.

change overclock to stage 2, stage 3 will endup with a high vcore and that will kill cpu withing 2 years if its high enough with 24/7 use.

drop oc on gpus, its very mild and you won't notice it, no need to stess parts when there is no gain.

os tweak will do nothing for you either, drop it, if you need one of those services and don't know which you need, you will have problems.

instead of that monitor why not go with a better one?:

Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23

Dell UltraSharp U2410

Dell UltraSharp U3011 30"
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 9:58pm
Hmm a few last things do the fan led lights look ugly or are they okay? Might consider dropping them. Also the chassis mod does it do anything significant or not, does the case still come with a window if I don't get the mod? well I guess I might as well go the dell ultra sharp.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=570999

Edited by Zieno - 26 Jun 2011 at 10:00pm
Anglis View Drop Down

Quote Anglis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 10:27pm
If you're doing LC, then there is no need for the extra fans, unless you just want it for looks.  Some people like their computers to look like space ships.

With that setup, either do a 3 monitor setup, or a 2560 resolution.  Don't waste the power of those cards on 1080p. 

With a $6000 budget..well you can spend 4k for a top of the line computer, full LC and put the rest into a very nice monitor/speaker setup.  I wouldn't recommend 6k alone in the PC, unless you were doing a SR-2 build...now those are gorgeous.

Edited by Anglis - 26 Jun 2011 at 10:28pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Zieno

Hmm a few last things do the fan led lights look ugly or are they okay? Might consider dropping them. Also the chassis mod does it do anything significant or not, does the case still come with a window if I don't get the mod? well I guess I might as well go the dell ultra sharp.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=570999

IMHO that is still all wrong, needs to be this:

Here you go Ticket# 571011 --- $4,585 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
hassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Player (Play Blu-Ray and Play DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (PhysX) (EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Auzen X-Fi Forte 7.1 (Model: AZT-FORTE) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: APC SurgeArrest Personal PER7 (7 Outlet) 120V Surge Protector
Speakers: Logitech 2.1 System (Model LS21) (Includes Subwoofer)
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror Special Edition (Gaming Keyboard)
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

the fan upgrade look-wise is good, but most of your fans are 140mm, fan upgrade is 120mm, I would look for some cool 140mm led fans instead.

the case has the window, the modification is adding the fan/s to it, its the 800d

check it out here

you forgot to change to win 7 pro again, and there is no need for the 1500w, I have it and trust me, unless you are going quad sli you don't need it, for dual sli 1000w corsair is more then enough, and you don't want go tri sli on p67.

HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

I agree with Anglis that you should go with u30, if so I woudl go with cf 6970 instead, or if you really want to throw money away sli 580 3GB version.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Jun 2011 at 10:56pm
Anglis View Drop Down

Quote Anglis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 11:55pm
Yeah what DST said.  If you only plan on 1080p, stick with the sli 570's.
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:51pm
I've been looking over things again and is there really an big diffrence between GTX 570 1.2 GB   and the GTX 580 1.5 GB?

Also would having a SSD and a regular large drive REALLY help or is it just more of a small speed boost when loading up things? because really i wouldnt mind thing loading up a little slower but the performance onces the game is loaded up still be the same as with a SSD.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:56pm
SSD has much better performance all the way around, from loading times being faster, to basically zero seektime, to hitches.

also most of our use is in 4k files sized, and at that speed ssd is king.

the second drive is there for storage, if you have personal files on a different drive then the os drive then:

1. managing the os drive becomes easier (backup, scanning etc).

2. there is more room left on the fast drive so that things that can take advantage of the speed will actually take up that space, instead of it being wasted on storage.

at 1900 x 1200 res there is not a big diference between 570 and 580, however at higher res with high aa settings there will be a difference, but not too much, which is why I recommended the 3GB version if you were gonna go sli 580 and at 2560 x 1600 res or higher, but keep in mind cf 6970 will do just as good.

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Jul 2011 at 4:58pm
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:35pm
Alright thank you DST, I was really wondering if i really would want a SSD, because as almost everyone knows they are very expensive, But i guess i'll stick with it since i would not want to have all the stuff on one drive :/

I guess i'll stick with the dual 570 not overclocked and if i ever need upgrades i'll just make a thread on what would be better :p
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:42pm
Thats a good idea
Saint View Drop Down

Quote Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 7:42pm
I know you mentioned LC, but you also said money saving ideas are welcome, so if you went air, you could save money, or use the extra money saved to upgrade other parts. LC is more of a luxury from what I understand
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 8:40pm
I know if i went air it would help out my wallet, but first, liquid cooling = nice to look at :p   and its all much more effective than air. i also went with the higher end LC because asetek is pure crap, liquid cooling in general is more quite than air. And again it looks nice :3
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Zieno

I know if i went air it would help out my wallet, but first, liquid cooling = nice to look at :p   and its all much more effective than air. i also went with the higher end LC because asetek is pure crap, liquid cooling in general is more quite than air. And again it looks nice :3

Depends on the LC setup. I believe DS's high end LC setups are actually quite loud, lots of performance radiator fans. You would have to specify different fans for them to special order in if you wanted a quiet LC setup. That will pump the price up, however.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 11:29pm
If you select our Stage 1 Noise Suppression package, our team will ensure your system is whisper quiet with even our Sub-Zero Stage 6 package.
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 12:22am
Thanks alex I'm not into that jet in your room kind of thing, so I guess the noise supression would help. :p
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 12:31am
Not a great idea IMHO, its much better to get a better rad that works with quiet fans, so that you get the best performance and least noise.
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:01pm
Is there a rad that you would recommend?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:06pm
xspc rx series rads work best with low cfm fans, so get that rad instead with Scythe gentle typhoon fans on it, that will give you best performance while being quiet.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:36pm
We have those radiators in stock. The premium you will pay to special order the Scythe gentle typhoon fans, is going to be more expensive in the end than having us use our performance high CFM fans that are bundled with our liquid cooling system and have us slow them down and tweak them with the noise suppression package.

Our performance fans are simply louder because they spin faster, which means more airflow, we can slow them down to the same speeds as the Scythe units and deliver basically the same results without the extra costs for special ordering hardware.
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 6:00pm
Woohoo! back to school sale! Now I know when to order the computer! welp all thats left is to get the rest of the money in the coming weeks. cant wait :3
 Post Reply Post Reply