FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions/Suggestions?

Post Date: 2019-02-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BravoActual View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BravoActual Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Opinions/Suggestions?
    Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 12:26pm
So I ordered a Lumos (specs below) on February 9th. Was just looking for opinions or suggestions from people much smarter than I on what I should tweak in the future. Keep in mind this is a pretty substantial upgrade from my current AMD FX 8320, R9 270 with 8gb of DDR3 RAM lol.

Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series (will be adding another 16gb that I ordered a few months back)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair RM750x (Fully modular)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2060 6GB (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Also opted for cable management, OC'ing of the CPU and GPU and some RGB options.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 2:12pm
Welcome to the forum BravoActual!

Nice Lumos build.   Top dog i9-9900K, overclock, great Asus Strix mobo, plenty of RAM, good new mid level RTX 2060 GPU.

You concentrated more on top CPU as I see it.    That excellent #1 processor is pricey but it has 8 cores & Hyperthreading with 16 threads. Most games would actually benefit more from emphasis on a stronger GPU, but perhaps your other uses will be more CPU centric. If not, the less expensive i7-9700K has 8 cores & 8 threads and is right up with it...the #2 gaming CPU and the best bang for bucks.    

The thing I would most want to upgrade on this nice new Lumos rig when you are ready would be to make use of the m.2 Drive slots on the Asus Strix mobo and get much faster NVME Samsung Evo memory working for you... perhaps as a larger 500gb or 1tb main boot drive. 250gb even with opsystem alone can still fill up quickly. M.2 NVME memory uses the way quicker PCIE X4 bus instead of the SATAIII bus.

Second would be to swap in a stronger Corsair AIO 240mm or 280mm cooler (with longer warranty) to keep things even cooler for your CPU overclock...the 120mm DS cooler is adequate for now but do monitor your temps...a bigger cooler would do much better CPU temps for you in summer.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 2:36pm
Hi BravoActual,
Congratulations on your order and welcome to DS. Awesome
Definitely call DS to get the M.2 NVME drive and at least 500GB. It is way better than the M.2  SATA you would be replacing and also echo HockeyBuck's cpu cooler choice. Note that the warranty is for only one year parts.
Enjoy. Big%20Smile

NOTE: of course, budget dictates so ................

Edited by hoserator - 18 Feb 2019 at 2:49pm

Quote BravoActual Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Hi BravoActual,
Congratulations on your order and welcome to DS. Awesome
Definitely call DS to get the M.2 NVME drive and at least 500GB. It is way better than the M.2  SATA you would be replacing and also echo HockeyBuck's cpu cooler choice. Note that the warranty is for only one year parts.
Enjoy. Big%20Smile
NOTE: of course, budget dictates so ................

Thanks for the input. It is much appreciated! I was on the fence for quite a bit regarding the two drives. Is NVME leaps and bounds faster/better than SATA? Will the CPU cooler be sufficient until I am able to upgrade?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 4:08pm
If you don’t require that top cpu, you could always ask DS to change it, and the $159 savings would help you pay for M.2 upgrade or cooler upgrade that could also be requested at that time. Just a suggestion.

Yes m.2 NVME IS that much faster than a SATAIII 6gbps Drive....LOL.
It’s why all the newest motherboards have 2 slots for two m.2 NVME drives.   Easily installed later too if you have to...just plugs in and one securing screw...

Your 120mm DS cooler with 1 yr warranty will suffice until you can upgrade to the better 240mm or 280mm Corsair AIO cooler units that have longer 5 yr warranties... Also not too hard a job to upgrade later yourself.

You asked for input...lol...these are the things Hose and I both see as places your build could quickly improve... DS can make changes now if you ask...and these suggestions could also be done later as upgrades if that’s how you play it.

Your overall gaming experience on the rig with the new RTX 2060 will be very very good with mostly higher settings in games I would think...but the performance would be most noticeably improved when you can move up to a RTX 2070 or 2080 GPU in future.

Cheers....

Quote BravoActual Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

If you don’t require that top cpu, you could always ask DS to change it, and the $159 savings would help you pay for M.2 upgrade or cooler upgrade that could also be requested at that time. Just a suggestion.

Yes m.2 NVME IS that much faster than a SATAIII 6gbps Drive....LOL.
It’s why all the newest motherboards have 2 slots for two m.2 NVME drives.   Easily installed later too if you have to...just plugs in and one securing screw...

Your 120mm DS cooler with 1 yr warranty will suffice until you can upgrade to the better 240mm or 280mm Corsair AIO cooler units that have longer 5 yr warranties... Also not too hard a job to upgrade later yourself.

You asked for input...lol...these are the things Hose and I both see as places your build could quickly improve... DS can make changes now if you ask...and these suggestions could also be done later as upgrades if that’s how you play it.

Your overall gaming experience on the rig with the new RTX 2060 will be very very good with mostly higher settings in games I would think...but the performance would be most noticeably improved when you can move up to a RTX 2070 or 2080 GPU in future.

Cheers....

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! I figured with this build it’ll get me into games I can actually play compared to my current PC. I definitely plan on upgrading the GPU in the not so distant future. As far as cooling and NVME I’ll probably upgrade those shortly after I receive my build (assuming they are easy to upgrade lol). I would contact DS about changes but I am restricted by my budget. I’m currently using a 1080p monitor (will upgrade to 2080 when I make the jump to 1440p) so hopefully, like you said, I’ll have a good gaming experience with the 2060. Thanks again for the input. Extremely helpful! Now I just play the anxiously waiting game lol
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:57am
I approve of your 16 GB of ram. I disapprove of your Cooler and hard drive. The cooler has a weak warranty and your HD is small. 250 GB?

Quote BravoActual Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by ThePinkGoat

I approve of your 16 GB of ram. I disapprove of your Cooler and hard drive. The cooler has a weak warranty and your HD is small. 250 GB?

Purchased the hard drive for the OS. Putting everything else on the 2tb hdd for now.

Edited by BravoActual - 19 Feb 2019 at 11:30am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:45am
I think the smaller M.2 for just the OS and maintenance utilities and a few apps is a great money-saver. You can always opt for a SATA SSD (like a 1TB 860 EVO) down the line for a games library, for example.

Quote BravoActual Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Cretae

I think the smaller M.2 for just the OS and maintenance utilities and a few apps is a great money-saver. You can always opt for a SATA SSD (like a 1TB 860 EVO) down the line for a games library, for example.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'll end up buying another SSD for games. Would it make much of a difference putting games on an M.2?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 2:43pm
Yep it would...M.2 NVME memory is much faster than a SATA III SSD.
Some here would say it’s the best use of that
 Post Reply Post Reply