Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SoDRapture View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SoDRapture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Optical Issues
    Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 5:07pm
Hello Digital Storm Community!
This past summer I bought a Vanquish level 3 from digital storm. I have had no complaints and have loved the system. It's amazing. Yesterday I finally broke down and got myself a good pair of headphones. Which were Astro a50's. The way they connect to the computer to provide sound to them is with an optical output on the back of the computer to and optical "in" on the transmitter. I've looked for 20 minutes and I've finally come to the conclusion that the Vanquish level 3 does not have an optical out. Since this is the case could anyone provide me with some help of how to get around this please! Maybe something like a 2nd audio card such as like a audio optical card, or a converter. The only thing is, to use 7.1 dolby digital on the headset the sound can not come out of a USB or it will be stereo sound. Please comment with some advice. Thanks
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 5:15pm
Not sure if this will help , but will the Astro a50 work with s/pdif?   If so, there is an internal s/pdif header on the bottom of the motherboard, inside the case. Check the mobo manual for exact local.

I don't get into much of the audio end of pc's, so hope it helps.

Good luck.

Quote SoDRapture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 6:59pm
You can't go straight from the S/PDIF to the astros. I could get an S/PDIF module which is practically an adapter to an optical out. Would this provide me with 7.1 dolby though? My speakers can play 7.1 dolby so I think my sound card is compatible with 7.1, man I really need help lol :(
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 8:39pm
SoDRapture:

I can only tell you what I found thru Internet search, as I know nothing about these headphones.

But from what I read about the Astro A50, the optical connects to a console.  There should be another cord that connects to a computer. 

Hope I am pointing you in the right direction, because I only did a quick Internet search.

Quote SoDRapture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 8:49pm
Forrest. I know what you are talking about its a USB to a USB-mini b cable. That only supplies stereo. To get 7.1 dolby you need to connect a optical cord between the computer and the transmitter. Thank you for looking though!
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 10:42pm
The ASUS Z87-C motherboard doesn't have an optical output for the audio. It does have a S/PDIF header but you'll most likely have to build a custom cable to connect to this. Your best option will be to get an audio card with the optical output on it.
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 4:05pm
False, you can get 7.1 video the digital signal from USB.  Now your headphones may not have the software support for it.   But I know for a fact you can get 7.1 Digital surround sound in headphones (though it's not 100% real 7.1 in headphones... as they are headphones).

This is a lesson's learned case.  You should have verified you had the correct compatible hardware before you spent money.  Now, if there is no adapter that can do that for you, you can always look at buying a sound card, as some sound cards, but that will still be an issue as not even 5.1 can be sent through optical out unless it's encoded in DTS/Dobly Digital. 

My recommendation.  Return the headphones for a refund and buy something like the Corsair Vengeance 2000 or 2100 Wireless that are 7.1 or get the 1500 that is wired.  Or buy a analog headset that uses the 5 or 6 cables.

Quote SoDRapture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 4:09pm
Oh I figured it out. Found an adapter in my house and I'm playing sound off my computer in Dolby 7.1. But thanks anyways.
 Post Reply Post Reply