FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Optimystic's Review (with pics)

Post Date: 2009-11-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Optimystic View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Optimystic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Optimystic's Review (with pics)
    Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 11:00pm
Finally I can put in my review! Been having some internet issues unrelated to the new system that I have finally gotten ironed out, thankfully. Now onward!

First off, the box that my rig was packed in didn't look like the one in the video, or in pics from others. It looked much bigger. I was a little taken aback at how it was packed, no foam at all anywhere, just cardboard with plastic "windows" squeezing it in from the sides. It was different, but solid. After unpacking, it took a bit to get the inside packing out from around the cooling tubes, but it came out nicely. I checked the video card and sound card to see if they felt tight, and they did, so I decided to fire it up. Alas, I got a message saying "windows cannot load". So I reseated the ram, video card, sound card, and the hard drive connections, and all went well from then on! So I learned my lesson, reseat  your stuff like they tell you to! lol

This thing is gorgeous! From the cool red coolant to the red fans and lights, it's got plenty of bling. Pretty heavy too, but that was to be expected. Had to remove the upper left part of my desk to fit this thing! Otherwise the upper shelf would have been about an inch above the top fan, so yeah it had to go. As for noise? This thing is extremely quiet! Can't believe how silent it runs which is great since it's in my bedroom. Love the switch to turn off the inner red light too, that helps. Overall I couldn't be happier.

Been installing software ever since. Tried out one of my video editing programs, since this is primarily for editing, and WOW did this thing fly! I knew it would be fast but my jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw how quickly this thing rendered the project! I am now an extremely happy and satisfied DS customer. DS rocks!! Here's some pics for your amusement:

*Removed the picture of the box cuz I'm a retard*

Sitting on my dusty desk LOL!

The inner packing, was lots of fun to get out.

The gorgeous inside!

Closer view of the inside top.

Closer view of the inside bottom.

Lots of wires on the back! But well tied-up.

The hot red glow.

Red glowing PC, with my blue glowing Logitech G11 keyboard.

Kinda blurry, but nice and lit up.

Windows rating system. It changed a little the second time I ran it but not by much.

Edited by Optimystic - 13 Nov 2009 at 10:26am
BWolf06 View Drop Down

Quote BWolf06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 11:43pm
Wow the shipping packaging kinda scares me. Do they not pack their computers in foam anymore? Question

Anyways at least your computer is working great and it looks sweet!

Quote Optimystic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 11:50pm
I don't know, but it sure wasn't what I expected. Maybe this is the new thing, or maybe temporary? I guess only they can answer that. To be honest, though, it was wedged in there pretty good and I had a tough time getting it out without cutting the crap out of everything, so it was pretty solid inside the box.

Yep, it looks and works so good I can't stop smiling! Ouch
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 2:22am
We're moving away from foam. it's not that effective in handling drops/shocks from shipping abuse.

We are using a new clear plastic that suspends the system and acts like a big shock absorber.

It's much more effective in ensuring the systems arrive safely to our valued customers. Another new innovation at Digital Storm.

P.S.
The picture the customer posted does not show it it arrived. Thats after they tried to remove it by prying it off.

The unit is double packed, and laid on its side when we ship it.

Edited by Alex - 13 Nov 2009 at 3:29am
riffraff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote riffraff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 7:34am
The new packing method is more than adaquate.  As has been posted, the computer is sort of clamped between 2 big 'airbags'.  With my HailStorm box I had a seam on the large area or side of the case and went in there.  Much easier as you can just lift one side of the airbag out/off and pick the rig up off the top of the other airbag.  Watch your backs, my lailstorm rig is heavy.

riffraff
Q'plah

Quote Optimystic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Alex

We're moving away from foam. it's not that effective in handling drops/shocks from shipping abuse.

We are using a new clear plastic that suspends the system and acts like a big shock absorber.

It's much more effective in ensuring the systems arrive safely to our valued customers. Another new innovation at Digital Storm.

P.S.
The picture the customer posted does not show it it arrived. Thats after they tried to remove it by prying it off.

The unit is double packed, and laid on its side when we ship it.

It arrived standing up, which is the only way you can carry it (especially due to the handles on the top). I didn't notice the seam on the side, but wish I had. Serious lack of sleep lately made me stupid. Sorry if this has caused problems, I just wanted to post my review and share my amazing new machine with all of you, not start a discussion on packing material and how I'm too stupid to realize how to open it and how great it is.....
Maybe we would be better off just killing my review altogether.
riffraff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote riffraff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 10:48am
Absolutly not.  I wan't to hear everything about your experiences.

Total package dude,  everything, packing, boot up, benchmarking applications, we want to hear about it all.

riffraff
Q'plah

Quote Optimystic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 11:41am
Then I will add some more.

In the first couple of pictures, you can see my printer sitting on the upper right shelf of my desk. Well, that upper shelf had to be removed to fit my computer in that area, otherwise there would have only been about an inch of space between it and the top fan which would be bad.

Just for kicks, I threw together a bunch of music videos I had into Pinnacle Studio 14. I usually use Sony Vegas for the high-end stuff, but Pinnacle worked well for a quick test. After adjusting the settings, it was going to render an AVI file that would be 5.78gb in size, well more than what would fit on a DVD. My old laptop (Pentium M 2.0ghz with 2gb of ram) would have taken 4-1/2 hours to render this, and probably would have crashed in the process. This new machine only took 4-1/2 MINUTES!! That is just incredible.

Other than that, haven't had much of a chance to put it through it's paces properly yet. Waiting on a new camcorder for that.
Coolermaster Haf932
i7 920 oc'd to 3.75ghz
12gb mushkin 1600mhz ram
GTX 275 896mb video card
Razer Barracuda
150gb Velociraptor
1TB Seagate
1000w Corsair psu
Frostbite liquid cooling
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 12:10pm
Awesome!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 4:18pm
congrats boss that looks great

Quote Optimystic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 8:37pm
Thanks, man! Yeah, I am VERY happy with it! I had very high expectations in this machine's performance, and I can honestly say it has far surpassed those expectations. This thing is a video-crunching beast!!
Coolermaster Haf932
i7 920 oc'd to 3.75ghz
12gb mushkin 1600mhz ram
GTX 275 896mb video card
Razer Barracuda
150gb Velociraptor
1TB Seagate
1000w Corsair psu
Frostbite liquid cooling
 Post Reply Post Reply