FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ordering Friday

Post Date: 2010-08-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tallyman View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tallyman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ordering Friday
    Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 1:40pm
Because my primary interests are FSX (and it's many addons) and video encoding I've decided that I want a system with core components being a 980X processor, a single GTX480 and a main Intel 160GB SSD.  I'd be nice to also stay as far ahead of the power/speed curve as long as I can.  
So, motherboard questions.  Will spending extra on a premium mobo (eg, Asus P6X58B, Rampage III etc.) maximize this systems logivity and future-proof capability?
Also, I wouldn't mind advice as to specific cooling requirements this setup would require..
Lastly, the DS charges for OC'ing the processor and video card kinda add up...  I'm not very practiced at overclocking... but do I void my warranties if I do it?
Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 1:50pm
What is your res and budget? Do you really need the 980X, DS will OC a reg 930 to about 3.7-3.9 usually. DS OC for 3.7-3.9 is free and anything above wont really help you out in gaming. Im not sure bout the mobo's but i do know that all the mobo's that are out now that claim to have SATA 6gb/s are fakes. I dont have what dragoon explained many times copied somewhere so ill let him come a long and tell you how its fake.

For cooling the Noctua will be sufficient until 4-4.2 around there. but yea whats more important is your res and budget.
Mr.
Tallyman View Drop Down

Quote Tallyman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 2:00pm
I believe my current resolution is 1920/1080 - but everything is open to upgrade in the future, including size and number of monitors.
And yes I saw the discussions re: SATA 3.  Regardless, I'm pulling the trigger 8/13 so gots to make the decision now.
Budgetarily, I'm aiming at roughly 3800 but there's wiggle room if need be. 
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 2:11pm
How badly do you need a 980X? How much video encoding do you do, and do you make use of applications that can actually utilize the extra cores/threads?
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 2:18pm
fsx can probabaly get something out of that, but you have to keep in mind that intel changed the game with hyperthreading
a 920 can give you 8 cores of 4ghz+ with air and even more on liquid. cost wise, the 980 just doesnt make sense.

i would be shocked if you could actually get activity on 12 threads at once

long story short, unless you dont need to care about money at all, get the 920, the money would be better spent on liquid cooling a 920 then getting a 980 in my opinion

as far as the rest of the build, as was stated, need more details for budget and use
JJJJ_Shabadoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JJJJ_Shabadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 3:13pm
Depending on the program being used, size of files, and frequency of use, those two extra physical cores (four extra threads) could make a huge difference for someone doing frequent video encoding. When I do transcoding I get 100% activity on all 8 threads.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that a 980 is generally a very poor value. In my opinion the only way to justify the dramatic increase in cost of a 980 over a 920/930 is if you do a LOT of video encoding or similar work with a program able to make use of all 12 threads.
 Post Reply Post Reply