Organizing OS + Data Drives?

Post Date: 2010-05-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Organizing OS + Data Drives?
    Posted: 03 May 2010 at 2:46pm
I've seen options where you use a SSD as a boot drive for Windows and a bigger, standard HDD as storage for everything else and programs. How exactly do you do that?
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2010 at 3:01pm
Besides the OS I'd try to install all your favorite/important applications on the SSD as well, space permitting.

Any time you connect another drive it will just be a new lettered drive available to you under My Computer. For instance right now your VelociRaptor is your C: drive and you probably have a DVD drive that shows up as D:, if you were to connect another drive right now it would show up as E:, and you could freely store stuff on and install things on the E drive just like you do with the C drive.

In the BIOS menu you can change the boot order of the connected HDDs, so you could make that new drive the boot HDD and it would become the new C drive and your VelociRaptor would become the E drive. However, for the new drive to actually be able to boot you'll have to install the OS on it, either by reinstalling Windows on it via CD or if it has enough space clone the VelociRaptor drive contents over to it using a cloning program.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2010 at 11:30pm
so basically, you just have to install everything to the ssd boot drive anyways, and the data drive is really just another internal drive you just stuff whatever you want into it?
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:15am
The only thing you'd absolutely have to have on the boot drive is the OS, but since we're talking SSD here for a boot drive then you'd want to install most of your programs on it too as long as you have enough room, to take advantage of its speed.

You can also clone the VelociRaptor contents to the SSD if it has enough space using cloning software, but this can lead to performance issues sometimes so it's recommend you just do a fresh Windows install on it via the Windows install CD/DVD. Then from there install any apps/games on the SSD that you want as well. You can speed up that process greatly if you store the install files on the VelociRaptor ahead of time (for things that require DLing). From there you can either temporarily move any data you want to keep from the VR onto the SSD and do a quick reformat of the VR or you can just right click the drive under My Computer and go to Disk Cleanup, which should have an option to remove all the files from the previous install of Windows on it.

From there you do whatever you want with it, install apps/games, store pictures, music, movies, etc.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2010 at 10:32am
Basically you would set this up in your bios as the first drive to read besides the cd/dvd to install your OS.. Once the OS is installed on the SSD drive, use that for apps and games..and then use your bigger HDD for multimedia files/data like music, videos, pictures and whatever.
 Post Reply Post Reply