FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Outlook 2003 hyperlinks no longer open the target

Post Date: 2016-02-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jmarsh9 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jmarsh9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Outlook 2003 hyperlinks no longer open the target
    Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:42pm
I know this is a Microsoft software question, but I am asking it anyway just in case anyone else out there has had the same problem and figured out how to resolve it. I have had Microsoft Outlook 2003 and IE11 installed on my new DS computer (Windows 10) for months now. Everything was working perfectly up until just last week when clicking on hyperlinks in Outlook emails no longer go to the target in IE11. The hyperlinks work properly in the native Windows 10 email application, but no longer work when clicking in Outlook 2003 (even on the identical email). All clicking on Outlook email hyperlinks does now is JUST open my IE11 homepage. And not only does clicking Outlook hyperlinks not open the intended target, but it only brings up my IE11 homepage in a separate window (not in a new tab on the existing open IE11). I have searched every Microsoft forum I can find about this, and have followed all the instructions about re-designating IE11 and Outlook as the default programs over and over, but to no success. Is there something I am missing? Or is my Outlook hopelessly corrupt and requiring a re-install? Any help would be greatly appreciated.   
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 5:08am
Hi jmarsh9,

When I went to Win-10 with Outlook 2003 I had a similar problem. Maybe a little different but similar. I tried all of the fixes I could find online and finally gave up.

I have been using eM Client which is a commercial replacement for Outlook. You can get a free version. My wife loved Outlook but has come to like eM Client. eM Client works well with Win-10. You can down load your contacts list from Outlook into eM Client.

You might want to give it a try if you don't solve your Outlook problems.

Frank
jmarsh9 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote jmarsh9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 5:32pm
Hi FrankW,

Thanks for your tip. I finally was forced to uninstall Outlook 2003 and reinstall it, and the issue fixed itself, but only for about a day. Then Outlook went right back to not opening target hyperlinks (only my IE11 homepage). WTH? So I took your advice and downloaded eM Client. Not only does it (hopefully forever) work perfectly, but I can see why people use it as an Outlook replacement. Aside from a few (very) minor format differences from Outlook (I still like Outlook's Calendar display better), it is almost a direct clone. And eM Client has a few neat things that Outlook doesn't.

Thanks again for your response and your advice!   
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 4:31am
Glad that you like it

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 03 Mar 2016 at 4:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply