FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Over the top build?

Post Date: 2021-12-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roshambeau View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Roshambeau Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Over the top build?
    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 1:58pm
Hey all,

I have recently configured what feels like a crazy, over the top build. This is not a joke or bucket list build, this is a PC I'm actually wanting to build and buy.

Configuration ID is 4199565

I'd love some feedback on this build. For instance, I selected the 64GB package of DDR5 memory running at 4800MHz. Am I better off with this larger amount or RAM or should I get the 32GB package which runs at 5200MHz?

I also selected the 3090 Founders edition 24GB card. Would I be just as well off with the 3080Ti 12GB card? I'm an avid gamer but I'm not running VR yet. Does it make sense to spend the extra $200 or should I downgrade even further?

I was also curious about the drives. I selected 2 2TB 970 EVO PLUS drives. Would I be better off getting the 1 Sabrent Rocket 4TB card and saving a slot?

Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately I want a system that can run any current games at max settings, I want to run VR at some point in the semi-near future and I want a system that I won't need to bother upgrading for several years.

Edited by Roshambeau - 03 Dec 2021 at 2:46pm
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 6:00pm
Hi,

I'm a lot like you: I enjoy really high-end builds for my gaming machines. Previously I had an Aventum with three GTX 980 Ti cards, and now I have a Velox with a RTX 3090. I enjoy the high-end machines, because you don't have to compromise much on the graphics quality, and you don't have to upgrade as often.

That being said, I have a few comments...

1) What size monitor will you be using? This is important, because a RTX 3090 or 3080 Ti will be overkill if you're just playing at 1080p or 1440p. However, if you have a large ultrawide monitor, or a 4K monitor, then it might make sense. Those cards would also make sense for VR.

2) The performance difference between the 3090 and 3080 Ti is negligible. You'll never feel the difference between those two cards when gaming. I have a 3090 myself, but I went with that card mainly to keep my computer quiet. The 3090 is more quiet, because it's a much bigger card, and it has larger fans than run at a lower speed. I say get the 3080 Ti if you are just concerned about performance. Get the 3090 if you are also concerned about noise, and you are taking other steps to quiet the rest of your system. (A quiet 3090 won't help if your PSU fans are running at high speed.)

3) I wouldn't get more than 32GB of RAM for gaming. There are no games that can take advantage of 64GB. Plus it's easy to upgrade RAM later.

4) The Aventum is a lovely machine, but it's huge, and quite heavy. There are really only two good reasons for choosing an Aventum: You want a machine that will be on display, and a mind-blowing showcase of your gaming setup. Or, you need the crazy number of drive bays that it has. Otherwise, I would consider getting the Velox. The Aventum weighs about 100 lbs, and you won't be able to move it around without the use of a hand truck. It also won't fit under many desks, and you may have difficulty lifting it onto a desk.

5) I would change your drive choice to the Samsung 980 Pro. It's roughly twice as fast as the 970 EVO Plus.

6) Regarding the cooling system: The HydroLux PRO cooling system is really nice. That's what I had in my Aventum. However, it started to leak after about 5 years, and now I have a red stain on my carpet. My latest Velox machine is air-cooled, and I couldn't be happier. A good middle ground is to get H20 Stage 2 Dual Fan Fully Sealed cooling.

7) Don't get the CPU Boost. Modern processors are really good at ramping up the CPU speed when needed. They run cool when you don't need the extra power. CPU Boost will just cause your machine to run ultra-hot even when you're just sitting there doing nothing. I found some benchmarks recently that show how overclocking can actually hurt gaming performance in some cases, probably due to the extra heat being dumped into the system.

8) Don't get OS Boost either. Processors are so fast now that this doesn't really seem necessary.

9) Consider getting Windows 10 rather than Windows 11. There is some evidence that Windows 11 doesn't run games as well.

With all of those comments in mind, here is a build that I would get today if I was searching for a high-end gaming machine with little to no compromises:

Config number: 4199936

This will save you $1592, it'll perform almost exactly the same, and will be easier to move around or place on your desk.

Edited by JamesAstro - 03 Dec 2021 at 6:04pm
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 8:16pm
I have both the 980 Pro and the 970 evo plus. I use a 500GB faster 980 Pro for my OS & daily play games and a 1TB 970 evo plus for my game library. Now I wish that I would have got 2TB versions. :-) The 980 Pro is lightning fast!

I have the EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra and it is really nice. If I would have wanted to spend a little more I would have went with the 3080ti that is basically a low cost gamer's 3090 as far as performance.

My Velox is still pretty heavy at about 65 LBs but is really a beauty with the smoked plate glass sides and colorful display when running.

I just got my new beast last week and it replaced a 12 year old DS system that still games pretty good with a Titan GPU and OCed CPU. The new system has made incredible difference in playing games on Ultra settings and just doing everything faster. I hope that you will enjoy your new Digital Storm system like so many of us here in the forum do.

I am sure there will be other comments & suggestions coming soon.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 1:18am
Welcome to DS. Strong

I like overkill myself as some here know. Sometimes, however, it might turn out to increase the chances of issues. (SLI to the max, double PSUs, separate cooling loops, etc... come to mind)

The Aventum is a huge case not only for its storage but more importantly, if you like to see what your cpu can do, its massive cooling! I have never ever seen temps in the 70sC in any component and I removed the top rad to install a hybrid GPU.

I only have 2 comments on JamesAstro configuration: 
-Storage Set 1 I would limit to 1TB same model SSD and go 2 TB on Storage Set 2. More than enough in my limited experience. I save all static files on 2x4TB HDDs in RAID, games and OS on separate SSDs;
-On the PSU, I would not go semi-modular. If you ever have to change it makes it more complex than really necessary in today's pc world

Enjoy.
Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 4:08am
A couple of words of additional clarification if you don't mind. There is no game that will currently access 32GB of RAM, let alone 64GB. The extra above 16 GB for gaming will come in handy whenever you wish to game and have other things running at the same time. If it's in the budget, I think it's nice to have, and of course, it's the minimum they're selling in DDR5.

The primary drive should be as fast as you can get: the 980 PRO. Secondary storage for games and any other things will run great on a 970 EVO. As to the question about the Sabrent, IMO it's much better to have several smaller drives so you can't lose as much in a failure.

You've gotten good advice on the 3090. it's not really a gaming card, it's more suited for high-end video editing and rendering. There's no way for games to use 24 GB of DDR RAM. As usual, Nvidia's newest card is just as good.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3090/4115vs4081

Pay close attention to JamesAstro's take on overclocking. There's no use for making your proc run hot all the time. Only if your workload was cutting edge productivity software using every core and thread. For gaming, it's just nonsense. In fact, the 12900k itself is an unnecessary expense for gaming.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-12700K/4118vs4119

The OS boost was to save RAM use back when 2GB was expensive.

In general, I don't see much point in spending a small fortune for an admittedly "over the top" build just to game on. The days of getting the best and overclocking it just to get "good" performance are long gone away. The CPUs now are waaayyy out ahead of anything gaming requires. Every new generation of GPUs now totally eclipses the one before. It's no longer incremental speed and rendering advancement. Now, it's innovation and improvement upon innovation that leaves last gen cards in the dust. I don't mind upgrading at all when it saves me money in the long run, and I have the best tech I can get. I simply don't see advantage in spending in excess for a GPU that will be obsolete in less than a year.

You asked if you should go lower. I absolutely would. With the next gen cards expected next summer, there's no way I would pay $497 more for a 12% improvement you may not even perceive.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3080/4115vs4080

But that's me. Bang for the buck is never out of consideration. I'd bet the 4080 that comes out will crush that Ti, and it may well be less than half the price. In the meantime, gaming on a 3080 is not a hardship.

Quote Roshambeau Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:47am
Wow, thanks everyone that's great advice. I hadn't even considered how overclocking the CPU would make it run hotter all the time but it makes a ton of sense now that you've pointed it out. I also appreciate all the advice on the other components.

Looks like I will be going back to the configurator to draw up a new build.    I feel like a nerd cause I actually enjoy working through the configurator and seeing what I can create!

Quote Roshambeau Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:50am
OH, one quick follow up question for you Cretae. You mentioned that the 12900k is unnecessary for gaming. What processor would you recommend?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 4:25am
The i-7 12700K is my pick. It offers nearly identical performance to the i-9 model in gaming, but saves $230. It's overpowered just like many of the latest procs, so it will have a very long lifespan as the brain of your build. Pricewise, it compares well with an AMD 5800X build, but allows you to choose the DDR5 RAM upgrade. That flavor RAM is not quite a game-changer yet, but it may be a stronger choice for the future in gaming. You will never know any difference between that one and it's i-9 sibling.   

Quote Roshambeau Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 10:15am
Thanks again. That's what I thought you were referring to so I already started looking into the i7. I went ahead and placed my order this morning. We'll see if I get it before the end of the year. The DDR5 memory was backordered so that will be the big holdup on my build.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 3:31am
The back order is unfortunate, but I think you're better off holding out for it.
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 3:39pm
Howdy.

Overkill? Never.

Next year I (if I'm still alive) will be buying an Aventum.
I've been in healthcare for almost 35 years. And learned a long time ago how life is so special and fragile.

If you have the money then buy what you want!!!
Who gives a darn what anybody says. It's YOUR money. Enjoy.

You can bet when I buy my Aventum IT will be over the top!
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 8:38pm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
 Post Reply Post Reply