FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overclocking needed?

Post Date: 2023-01-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ftw_100 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ftw_100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Overclocking needed?
    Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 2:52pm
For an Intel Core i9-13900K, DDR5 64Gb RAM with a GeForce RTX 4080 16Gb, are the CPU & Graphics Boost options necessary/advised? I want to run any AAA game on the market right now and the near future, and it seems like this combo can easily handle this even at 4K. However, I realize upcoming games are always more demanding. Appreciate your thoughts.
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 12:17am
I asked this same question about 18 months ago, and the consensus of the forum members was that it was no longer necessary. I didn't believe it at first, and went looking for more evidence. I ran across some benchmarks that compared several popular games while running on a stock CPU vs. an overclocked CPU. Some of the games were just slightly faster on the overclocked CPU, but most of them were a little slower. I was really surprised.

I don't know exactly why an overclocked CPU would be slower. However, it might be because it's dumping a bunch of heat into your case even when it's mostly idle. That could possibly slow down both your CPU and GPU. The newer chips are really good at revving up to full speed when needed, and throttling back down when demand drops.

In short, I wouldn't recommend overclocking the CPU. It used to be helpful back in the day, but not anymore.

I'm not sure about overclocking the GPU though. I used to do that with my old 2080 Ti, and it made a measurable improvement in game performance. I haven't tried that with my 3090 though. I've been happy with how it performs in its stock configuration.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 4:45am
The heat issue matters even more when considering the latest GPUs if it's not liquid cooled. The problem these days with overclocking either one is that they are designed to respond to the circumstance, and to have them running top speed at all times is a great waste of energy at the wall, and is very likely to shorten lifespan.

The CPU you're talking about is way overpowered for gaming to begin with. It's power lies in multi-core perfromance way beyond what any game in it's lifetime will need. Just look:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-13900K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-13600KF/4129vsm1950757

That's for gaming. If you're use is heavy into content creation or video editing at 4K, get the 13900K. If it's mostly for gaming, the $480 premium will never pay off for you. If you must, get the 13700KF and pay only $188 extra for 3% performance bump. The CPUs are waaayyy out in front of where you need to be for gaming, and the 13600KF is the best bang for your buck, maybe ever.   
(The KF designation is K for overclockable if ever you wish, and F means no useless onboard video.)

You can overclock your GPU at some point if it ever seems necessary with easy to use software built-in from Nvidia, or go with MSI Afterburner, but it's not a great idea from brand-new.

Hope it helps.   
ftw_100 View Drop Down

Quote ftw_100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 6:30am
Thank you both for your informative replies. This is useful information, and I'm glad I got your feedback before I pulled the trigger!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 10:14am
DS won't spend much time doing manual oc's, so their "service" isn't really worth it for that alone, imo.  the other point has already been talked about, that being the "boost" tech on these new procs and cards will provide the "average user" with enough performance boost they'd typically need, so why mess with it?

all that being said, there's certainly still room to fine tune both cpu and gpu.  you can under volt and oc for example to get the "sweet spot" of performance on an individual needs basis.  there are several YT vids that can show you how to get the most performance out of your tech. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply