Post Date: 2019-09-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BlackFlagg View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BlackFlagg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Overheating
    Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:06pm
I bought a Bolt X less than 2 years ago and lately it's been overheating like crazy when I play any game, usually only goes for about an hour or 2 before it shuts down. I don't know if there's a problem with the cooling system or if it's something else, it has H20 Stage 2 Digital Storm Vortex 240mm liquid CPU Cooler*fully sealed, no maintenance) how can I check if it's working right?
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:32pm
Sorry to hear you are having heat issues with your Bolt.    I don’t know what your build has inside, so I’ll suggest some general thoughts.

What is overheating...CPU , GPU, or something on the motherboard?   
Are you using a program that allows you to see temps like hardwaremonitor, specchy, your motherboard’s monitoring software suite, or Corsair Link or iCue?
Track key temps before and after gaming up to the shutdowns so you can report that info to DS when you contact DS Support.     They will help you as you get Lifetime Support on your system. Provide Support with your Order # or System ID# and explain the issue you are having to start a Support ticket.

A program like EVGA Precision X1 or MSI Afterburner can allow you to see GPU temps and even control GPU fan function.

Are the fans all running?   Have you dusted off the Bolt vents and interior, radiator & fans?

Are your GPU drivers updated to the latest version?

Edited by HockeyBuck - 09 Sep 2019 at 12:42pm
BlackFlagg View Drop Down

Quote BlackFlagg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:21pm
Running X1 right now and my CPU temp is doing some weird fluctuating, it's bouncing up and down between 60c and 90c, this is just after a reboot with only basic stuff running.
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:49pm
If you remove the case side does this issue resolve?

When you boot does the system power-up quick then slow down a bit and speed back up? Like it's going fast then slow then fast? (this would all be in the pre-boot bios after you hit power)
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:49pm
OK. Be aware that temp sensors can also fail...lol, but while some fluctuation of CPU temps is normal...too much +/- could indeed be a problem with the DS cooler.   Think you should start the conversation with DS Support and see what they suggest.   Your parts warranty may have expired, but Lifetime Support covers the help DS Support can provide.   
scooby092477 View Drop Down

Quote scooby092477 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 7:55pm
my DS Bolt X just came in a week ago and I can't game with it for more than an hour before it shuts down. brand new. hardline water-cooled GPU and CPU and temps are a little high but nowhere near to be concerned with. if I take the side glass off, then yes, it works. I am not paying $4,000 for a PC that I can't game with for 20 minutes and leave the side glass panel off permanently. the only thing I can think of is that the PSU is overheating (it doesn't vent anywhere except against the digital storm metal plate) or there is a mobo sensor getting too hot, but I've checked all temps and they're pretty normal so I think its the PSU. my question. how come this isn't a widespread problem with the Bolt? my system is an i7 10700k, with a 2080 Super. if the Bolt X chassis has outgrown the hardware it can support.. then don't sell it.
harrisonsl View Drop Down

Quote harrisonsl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by scooby092477

my DS Bolt X just came in a week ago and I can't game with it for more than an hour before it shuts down. brand new. hardline water-cooled GPU and CPU and temps are a little high but nowhere near to be concerned with. if I take the side glass off, then yes, it works. I am not paying $4,000 for a PC that I can't game with for 20 minutes and leave the side glass panel off permanently. the only thing I can think of is that the PSU is overheating (it doesn't vent anywhere except against the digital storm metal plate) or there is a mobo sensor getting too hot, but I've checked all temps and they're pretty normal so I think its the PSU. my question. how come this isn't a widespread problem with the Bolt? my system is an i7 10700k, with a 2080 Super. if the Bolt X chassis has outgrown the hardware it can support.. then don't sell it.

I'm having the same issues with the same build, Bolt X, received in July. If I run a game on Ultra settings it overheats in about 15-20 minutes and shuts down (Games: Grounded, MS Flight Sim 2020). I tried changing fan settings in the iCUE app and overclock settings in MSI Afterburner (I opted for Overclock version 2) but I can't seem to figure it out. I am able to run most games in Med-High graphics with no problems. Fan speeds appear to stay around 3000RPM and do not change. I have water cooling on the GPU and CPU, at idle it's 37c (90f) and 43c (109f), right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply