FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PC Advice?

Post Date: 2018-04-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sdsis01 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sdsis01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PC Advice?
    Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 4:32pm
Hi all! This is a rambling mess, I'm sorry, but I've been agonizing for weeks over this and am hoping to get some advice. I've always been a console gamer and currently I don't have a PC at all. I've been toying with the idea of getting one for a couple years but then FFXV Windows Edition was released and cemented my decision, so I am looking for a PC (sooner rather than later), mostly for gaming but also running Photoshop as well as a good amount video editing. So basically I know very little about PC configuration and kinda jumped into the deep end here. Ideally I would love one customized for 4k, but after researching I don't think I like the idea of SLI. I don't think 4k gaming is currently possible with a single GPU (please correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm wavering between two options - 1: get a cheaper but really solid PC for the interim that will allow for an upgraded graphics card whenever Nvidia releases a 4k capable single card (and if so, what would a solid cheaper configuration be?), and 2: fork out the money for a 1080Ti now because it's the closest I can get and god only knows when a 4k capable single card will actually happen.

I don't feel like I know enough to know which would be more expensive in the long run, and I feel like if I'm going to spend a lot of money I want to do it right, y'know? I keep configuring rigs on the site like the one below, but that price tag hurts my soul just to look at (not totally out of the question, but definitely a 'This is an unwise financial decision but I'm gonna do it anyway' choice). Which brings me to my next question: Will these be cheaper once the GPU shortage is over or is $3500 pretty standard for a 1080Ti machine even when they are in stock?

Sorry for rambling! And any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Configuration Code: 1897916
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,401.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i GTX - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 2:11am
Build looks real good.   

I would get a graphics card for your present needs, meaning a gtx 1070 got 1080p, gtx 1080 for 1440p and wait and see what the new generation cards can do later.    I’m guessing the new gtx 2080? will do 4K with single card, but just a guess.

If you’re not going sli then drop psu to a 750 watt. Not a big difference in cost but helps with cost.

The remote led internal lighting is a free promotion right now.   I would add it and give the rig some variable lighting.

Hope this helps.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Meller

Originally posted by Dax Doomslayer

I think the real benefit (for now anyway until the GPUs get more 'beefy') is trying to go to 4K at good frame rates. Right now we're still not there with a single card. It's coming though...Maybe this next gen card will do it.
A single GTX 1080 Ti can, for the most part, get you 60 FPS at 4k.  You may not be able to have everything maxed out, but most AAA titles you can have everything set to "high".People just have trouble with 60 FPS once they've had 144 FPS.  We're spoiled.  But I think within the next couple of generations we'll be having 4k at high FPS.

I borrowed this from a different post in "Hardware Discussion" These guys know their stuff. This is where we are and it's a little more optimistic than your research. My opinion is that the next gen due in summer will get us to single card 4k maxed on most games. Choices are: simply wait; go with the 1080 Ti and get a pretty good result; or get a 1060 or 1070 and wait for the next gen to replace. Chances are pretty good you can sell whatever card you get now for a decent amount if it's only a few months old, but you have to be willing/able to do that.

Having said that, bprat has you covered on the build. Step down on the PSU, and the GTX 1060 will get you by at the lowest risk if you're going to replace soon. The savings over your build are pretty massive with those two changes.    
sdsis01 View Drop Down

Quote sdsis01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 12:09pm
Thank you both so much! This is incredibly helpful. I actually just went into the config to change the PSU as suggested and checked GPUs and it looks like the 1080Ti is backordered until mid-May, which feels like a sign so I think I will stew on it for a little while. I am considering just waiting for the next gen release but if it really is this summer/fall then with the current shortage I feel like it will be both really hard to get and probably start out with an incredibly high MSRP, so access just might be an issue, and meanwhile I will be crying because I just want to play my game!

Another question though, if you don't mind? I chose the 960 Pro for the OS and apps, but would it be a good idea to upgrade the second storage set that will hold everything else (including games) to an SSD as well?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 12:48pm
Coupla thoughts.

Crypto-mining is starting to show signs of falling off. The volatility of prices + cost to mine is too iffy.

MSRP for the next gen will be higher because they're going to costlier GDDR 6. However they shouldn't want to run off the loyal customer base by overpricing due to crypto currency. But all is on wait and see. I'm betting short supplies would be a PR disaster, so I think they'll have plenty of stock on release.

I had an HDD to bring over when I got my rig in January. I'm looking forward to the day I can get a SATA SSD to hold all my games, and I'll keep the HDD for data. If your budget allows, by all means get an SSD for secondary storage. If it's just gonna be storage, though, SATA SSD will be plenty fast IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply