FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PC configuration help

Post Date: 2016-09-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Andrew Waples View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Andrew Waples Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PC configuration help
    Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 4:22pm
Budget:
$1500-2000, or lower. In the past, have there been Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals here?

Expectations:
Wanting this build to last minimum 6-7 (not sure if that's possible) years without having to upgrade anything.

Usage:
All-in-One entertainment, not just gaming, streaming Netflix, YouTube etc...Regarding connecting to the Internet on it. Would the standard work just fine? Because I am using a WI-fi connection to connect to the Internet and I'm wondering if this PC would be able to connect to my Wi-fi connection.

Special Needs:
Games that I want this to run on: The Witcher 1-3, and the upcoming Mass Effect: Andromeda. Also, I'm new to PC gaming, so if there are any tips that this could be made cheaper without sacrificing the ability to play these games would be appreciated.

Potential PC Build:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm VANQUISH 5

Exterior Finish: Standard Factory Finish

Trim Finish: Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i7 6700 3.4GHz (Codename Skylake) (Quad Core) (Not Overclockable)

Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE (Intel Z170 Chipset)

System Memory: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series

Power Supply: 600W EVGA/Corsair

Expansion Bay: - No Thanks

Optical Drive: - No Thanks (Plan on downloading my games, however are there situations where I might need a physical drive?)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Certified Performance Series)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate)

Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate)

Set 1 Raid Options:RAID 1: Mirroring: Drive Failure Data Fault Tolerance (Requires 2 Identical HDDs)

RAID Card:- No Thanks

Internet Access: Wireless USB ASUS N13 (Supports 802.11n/g/b)

Graphics Card(s):1x GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (ASUS Turbo) (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio (Plan on using a headset)

HPC Processor: - No Thanks

Extreme Cooling: High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)

Airflow Control: - No Thanks

Internal Lighting:Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)

Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Chassis Mod's: - No Thanks

Noise Reduction: - No Thanks (How loud do gaming PC's get?)

LaserMark: - No Thanks

CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking

Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)

OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)

Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Display: Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch UHD LED-Lit Monitor via Amazon

Surge Protector: APC SurgeArrest Personal PER7 (7 Outlet) 120V Surge Protector

Audio: Logitech 2 Piece (Black Edition) Amplified Speaker Set (Plan on using a headset that I have already, not sure if I need this)

Keyboard: Logitech Media Combo MK200 Keyboard and Mouse (plan on using a controller)

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 4:40pm
You have a build number for that?

if you want to keep your pc for 6 or more years and want it to feel powerful then go with the fastest cpu you can right now, aka 6700k.

either use a apc backup or go directly to the wall, the psu has its own protection built in.

For that monitor to play witcher 3 at max settings to get 60fps(smooth gaming) you gonna need sli 1080:

Internet connection is best via Lan, this system will not do wireless, you will need to get a wireless card or a wireless usb adapter.

Your thoughts since for 4k you need to raise the budget or lower settings, personally I would look for a 1440p ips panel if I was in your budget with the pc and monitor.

Edited by DST4ME - 24 Sep 2016 at 4:43pm

Quote Andrew Waples Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

You have a build number for that?

if you want to keep your pc for 6 or more years and want it to feel powerful then go with the fastest cpu you can right now, aka 6700k.

either use a apc backup or go directly to the wall, the psu has its own protection built in.

For that monitor to play wichter 3 at max settings you gonna need sli 1080:

Internet connection is best via Lan, this system will not do wireless, you will need to get a wireless card or a wireless usb adapter.

Your thoughts since for 4k you need to raise the budget or lower settings, personally I would look for a 1440p ips panel if I was in your budget with the pc and monitor.

What's a build number? Regarding the Wi-fi connection, is that something in the config build? Yea, as I was thinking about 4k I dunno I don't think it's worth it right now.
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 4:57pm
To answer "What is a build number", when you create a custom PC, click SAVE. After doing so, you'll see a screen pop up with a code at the top. This code saves your configuration. To recall your saved PC, just go to the top right of Digital Storm website, click Load Config, and enter the code.

Configuration codes can make it easy for us to check out your PC setup.

Edited by Batman34 - 24 Sep 2016 at 5:04pm
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 4:58pm
4K is worth it, as long as you have the budget. But its not just 4k, the panel of the monitor is very important, for example ips is more crisp and you don't have to center yourself infront of the monitor since IPS has 178 degree h/v viewing angle.

but for that price you could get a decent 1440p ips panel.

Go here and look at my post.

after the short info on my post go to the links provided and understand what to look for in a monitor.

Then look for a good acer ips 1440p panel. Oh btw your monitor is freesync (amd) instead look for a monitor that has gsync (nvidia).

Or raise the budget, I didn't make a build because we are taking 3k+, so I was not sure at that range if you were still interested or not, or if you just want to see one I can make one for you.

We can give config you a pci wifi card here depending but you will have to setup some stuff when you get it.

Edited by DST4ME - 24 Sep 2016 at 5:02pm
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 5:25pm
DST, if he can go up to $2k, couldn't we go with the Apollo and do the following 1494834

Better Cooling, CPU(Overclock), MotherBoard, RAM

Maybe you could give me your thoughts on this config.

Edited by Batman34 - 24 Sep 2016 at 5:27pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 5:35pm
Its not about building the config when you want to get your money's worth, its about getting what you need, and in this case for his gaming the native res of the monitor is the boss so is the budget. We need to satisfy both bosses.

In short we need to have enough power to max the games at that res and be within budget.

When that can't happen we let the person know, for example in this case I can't make the monitor boss happy and the budget boss, since the monitor is 4k it will need sli 1080 to max games at that res, and sli 1080 is out of the budget.

Problem with your config is the psu (get the other 750w) and the gpu (1060) for gaming at 4k the 1060 is powerless, its best for budget build when the monitor is a 1080p 60Hz. His system has a 1070 and current monitor is 4K.

Hope that helps.

Edited by DST4ME - 24 Sep 2016 at 5:37pm
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 5:43pm
Thanks for the help professor. I try to take what you teach me and put it into effect, thus I tried to create a config under your guidance. Learning a little more each day.

Edited by Batman34 - 24 Sep 2016 at 5:44pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 5:50pm
You did pretty good you only needed 2 changes

Quote Andrew Waples Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 12:02pm
So, I've been doing more research and I'm more interested in longevity without upgrading then really 4k gaming. Do developers plan on actually supporting 4k? I mean, what's the difference in a 1080p, 1440p, and 4k displays? The PS4 Pro press conference reveal, was to me; just that you can see more. Is it really that important? Considering that when PC gaming your sitting close to a screen as opposed to being far away when it comes to console gaming.

Also, I'm going to be downloading the majority if not all of my games. I don't think I'm going to plan on having many games stored at once. Anyway so is 2TB enough? As an example, I have 7 games (+streaming services) stored on a PS4 with a 1TB hard drive. I figure that PC gaming is going to take up more space then console gaming. So, what do I need in order to have this particular PC recognize my home WI-fi connection?

Code number: 1495157

Edited by Andrew Waples - 25 Sep 2016 at 12:15pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 12:17pm
I think you have some confusion, its not about games supporting the res, you are talking cousole that is different. Also monitors and TVs are different.

Any game on pc can be played at 4k or 8k if you have the monitor and gpu power to support it.

Its programing that does not have much in 4K like your cable box and etc.

If you follow the link I posted you would have answered all your questions.

So please go back and look at the link I posted and make a proper decision now, once you buy this pc and see the good 4k monitors in about 6 months you gonna be kicking yourself in the behind.

For 6 to 7 years you are gonna endup needing change something during that time, for gaming for example in 3 years your gpu is gonna feel weak and need an upgrade, other parts may go bad during that time so my advise is to go with the apollo for better parts, keep in mind that the warranty here is one year part, so try and pick parts that you know and its warranty.

Again keep in mind with that usb wifi or wifi your gaming experience is not gonna be great, your weaklink is gonna be your wifi.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Sep 2016 at 12:21pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 1:51pm
forgot to mentioned for the build you asked about (1495157) , it would work for 1440p and for longevity I changed some parts and removed the pointless stuff:

Ticket Number: 1495212

Keep in mind again for longevity I would go different build (higher price) so that I know exactly what parts I'm getting so I know the quality/warranty.

keep in mind what I said before about part warranty and your wifi.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Sep 2016 at 1:52pm

Quote Andrew Waples Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:10pm

forgot to mentioned for the build you asked about (1495157) , it would work for 1440p and for longevity I changed some parts and removed the pointless stuff:

Ticket Number: 1495212

Keep in mind again for longevity I would go different build (higher price) so that I know exactly what parts I'm getting so I know the quality/warranty.

keep in mind what I said before about part warranty and your wifi.

Well, in terms of Wi-Fi performance does it change if I plan on only playing single player games? Also, I have a pretty good (at least I think I do) home Wi-Fi connection that gets up to 24.64Mbps download speed and upload speed of 2.56.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:30pm
Tests say that but no matter what wifi you have its always gonna be your weakest link. For best results you wanna go with lan otherwise you can be looking at lag and etc.

Quote Andrew Waples Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 3:09pm

Tests say that but no matter what wifi you have its always gonna be your weakest link. For best results you wanna go with lan otherwise you can be looking at lag and etc.

Okay, in terms of getting the Internet lan cables to work (I don't have those). Do I have to be on the same floor as where my modem and router are iin order for the PC to detect the connection? You know, when I'm ready to buy this PC, can I order over the phone? It might be easier that way so I know exactly what I need.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 3:48pm
You can call them but they do best with email.

For lan, all you need is a ethernet cable that connect to your router/modem and then to your pc. You don't need anything to recognize the lan connection.

for wifi after you update windows you need to install the drivers for whatever adapter you have and then use its software or windows to make the wifi connection.

My advise is let us figure out what you want here and then you call them and order it.

Quote Andrew Waples Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 4:51pm

You can call them but they do best with email.

For lan, all you need is a ethernet cable that connect to your router/modem and then to your pc. You don't need anything to recognize the lan connection.

for wifi after you update windows you need to install the drivers for whatever adapter you have and then use its software or windows to make the wifi connection.

My advise is let us figure out what you want here and then you call them and order it.

Okay, so all I'm looking for here is longevity with minimal upgrades (if that's even possible) in the future. Something that will be play games from last year and previous years till I dunno to be played down the road i.e. Mass Effect: Andromeda. 4k really isn't that necessary, although if it can fit the budget then why not. As I have said, I would like to be able to play The Witcher 1-3, that's sort of the goal of all this; as well as past PC exclusive games that I never got to play. Same budget or lower. In terms of the budget, note that I don't have a monitor, so keep that in mind.

Edited by Andrew Waples - 25 Sep 2016 at 4:53pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 5:38pm
Again there is a problem/conflict between longevity and budget.

another conflict is 4k and budget which I know you said is not an issue but we could setup the system to support 4k but support 1440p, however say in a year you could upgrade/add gpu/s and have it support 4k, but as I mentioned right now to that will conflict with budget.

So right now to stay under your budget the best I can do is the build in vanquish that we talked about before. (Ticket Number: 1495212This will need a gpu upgrade in 3 years or so.

for better longevity we need to go to apollo so we can pick our motherboard, psu and etc which we can't do since you are saying budget limit is $2000. To be clear I'm not saying I can't config a system for you that will run the games you want, what I am saying is that to feel comfortable recommending the power and longevity you want I would need the budget to be around $2200. Otherwise I can easily config a system for you and tell you its good and then 3 years from now you find out its not so good.

Quote Andrew Waples Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 6:29pm

Again there is a problem/conflict between longevity and budget.

another conflict is 4k and budget which I know you said is not an issue but we could setup the system to support 4k but support 1440p, however say in a year you could upgrade/add gpu/s and have it support 4k, but as I mentioned right now to that will conflict with budget.

So right now to stay under your budget the best I can do is the build in vanquish that we talked about before. (Ticket Number: 1495212This will need a gpu upgrade in 3 years or so.

for better longevity we need to go to apollo so we can pick our motherboard, psu and etc which we can't do since you are saying budget limit is $2000. To be clear I'm not saying I can't config a system for you that will run the games you want, what I am saying is that to feel comfortable recommending the power and longevity you want I would need the budget to be around $2200. Otherwise I can easily config a system for you and tell you its good and then 3 years from now you find out its not so good.

Outta curiosity, why 3 verus 4 years? Is this build capable of being upgraded down the road? I think, I may just stick with this. However, what about monitors? I'm still not sure what to do about that.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 6:42pm
Well first let me say the build I recommended was for a monitor that is 1440p, if that goes lower or higher my config needs to change.

If you looked at the info I provided for monitor you should by now come to the conclusion that an ips panel monitor is what you want, what you now need to decide on is if you want that ips panel to run 1080p or 1440p, and with either of those resolution do you want 60hz refresh rate or 120/144hz refresh rate (native).

those 2 are something you need to decide, I can tell you for gaming if budget allows, and not counting 4K, right now 1440p at 120/144hz native seems to be the spot to be. look at acer and see if you can fine a good ips 120/144hz 1440p monitor that is in your budget, if not then see if there is a ips 1440p 60Hz in your budget, one those should do.

Quote Andrew Waples Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 7:11pm
The only thing that I changed with this build is adding the monitor.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 8:43pm
Get your monitor and etc from newegg and amazon you will save money, here would be the most expensive choice.

that monitor is 179 hear but 139 at newegg for example.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Sep 2016 at 8:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply