FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PC for 3D DRAFTING PROGRAM

Post Date: 2019-09-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cfromlak View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cfromlak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PC for 3D DRAFTING PROGRAM
    Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 1:28pm
Hello,
New to this site.
I am looking to get the Lynx configuration for 3D drafting and not gaming.

For the cooling options. I do not want liquid cooling.
And I only see a few AIR options. Is there a way for me to choose other options?

Also, I see some comments that the "Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB) Fans are too loud. How can I keep this level down?

Extreme cooling options:
Intel Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan
Are these a good option?

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-P (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Ultrastar Data Center Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2060 6GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: Intel Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: What does this allow me to do????
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - How does this work?????
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Surge Shield: - What is this option?????
Priority Build: - How can I change this option to YES???

Thank you for the assitance on this

HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 8:42pm
Welcome to the forum cfromlak!

The reason you see few air cooled cpu options is because heat is an enemy of most computer electronics, and liquid cooling is far more effective at cooling a warm processor than on air alone.    CAD programs are CPU and RAM intensive, so the cooler you keep that processor, the better it will be for strong performance.     In fact, liquid cooling is so common now that most high end Intel K and X class processors don’t even come with a factory air cooler anymore.    Those processors are also engineered by Intel to be Overclocked to get max performance if properly cooled. DS are experts on smart Overclocking.

All in one or AIO cpu coolers are factory sealed and require no maintenance at all, so they are the most popular options.    DS has been building high performance computers with liquid cooling for over a decade, and they know their stuff. Corsairs AIO coolers are solid quality and carry long factory warranties.

If you still don’t want liquid cooling for the processor, and you don’t see an air cooling option you like...then DS is very flexible if you have a specific air cooler to request for your build... they will tell you how much they can get it for, and advise on any delay in build time waiting for it.    They can’t Overclock the CPU on air cooling.

So in 2019 would I consider standard factory air cooling a good thing...nope, to my experience that means minimum cooling and restricted CPU performance....and a large heatsink and fans taking up center space.

You chose a very good Intel 8-core CPU, excellent Corsair Vengeance RAM, Corsair gold efficiency power supply with 5 yr warranty, and excellent lower mid range NVidia RTX 2060 Super GPU for your build and stated purposes.    For a 1080p or 2k resolution monitor the 2060 Super will serve you well.    If you need to use 4K resolution monitors and high refresh rates, consider moving up to the stronger RTX 2070 Super or RTX 2080 Super that would do that job much better.    The selected Asus Prime motherboard is entry level but adequate.

You won’t need the DS air flow control board, and “soundproofing” as an outdated option is not recommended or even necessary these days of quieter fans if you upgrade to the better quality Corsair LL Series RGB fans or best Corsair ML Series RGB case fans.    Corsair ML Series fans would be the most quiet and longer lasting fans as they use Magnetic Levitation bearings.    The fan upgrades include a Corsair control module for fan speeds and synchronized RGB color combinations.    You would download the Corsair iCue software interface to control all Corsair RGB equipped components on board...so you can monitor and control fan speeds and RGB LED colors.    I have a recent DS Lumos rig equipped with Corsair LL fans and it’s extremely quiet in a bedroom placed right on the desktop in front of the user.

I would advise an important change in your Drive 1 selection.    You selected a standard DS SATA III speed 500 GB M.2 SSD .   I suggest upgrading to a 5X faster M.2 NVME SSD Drive1.   The better Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD , or best Samsung 970 PLUS M.2 NVME SSD will be solid choices.    They utilize the much faster PCIE bus on the motherboard that video cards use.    Big speed difference!

Your question about the Surge option.   DS offers a APC multi outlet unit that is an uninterruptible power supply, line conditioner, and has surge protection.    If power goes out, it provides a couple minutes of battery power so you can save work and shut down safely.    Some folks use them if they live where power interruptions are a very frequent event.

Your question about Priority Build... Some DS models may allow an option to pay extra for a faster build time.     You can always ask DS about that if it’s crucial to you.    Keep in mind that they are still dealing with the Back to School production rush.    Also, one of the many things that DS does that sets them apart from other system builders...they custom build every computer they make when you order it, and DS will properly stress test the rig at full load before boxing and shipping it to you.   That all takes time to do with care.   They won’t hurry that process.

See what you make of all that info....lol.

cfromlak View Drop Down

Quote cfromlak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 4:36am
Thanks appreciate the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply