Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jhicks0506` View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jhicks0506` Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PC for Sim Racing
    Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 3:31pm
Budget:
$2,500, but cheaper would be great.

Expectations:
Don't know much about computers, I just know I don't want anything to run slow and no issues with running games like iRacing, Assetto Corsa etc. on highest graphics settings.

Usage:
Will mainly be used to power a sim rig with up to 2 monitors (plus two additional desktop monitors)

Special Needs:
Unsure. I have no idea what I need.

Saved Ticket #:

Specifications:
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 4:49am
I don't actually have much experience with sim racing set-ups, but I know a little about what a powerful system looks like on a tight budget. You don't say what monitor resolution you're powering, but the GPU will have to be strong to run multiple monitors at high framerates. To do that within your budget, I think your best bang-for-buck ATM is a the Lynx 4 pre-built.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4543278

The 12600K is a very powerful gaming CPU. That's paired with the RTX 3070 Ti for the most powerful set-up you can get here anywhere near that money. The drawbacks are that, because of that price point, it's light on storage, and you might want to add another 16GB of RAM at some point. Those are easy upgrades. You could have them done for you at a computer shop and still be well under your budget

A custom build within your budget would use it all up, and not be worth the extra spending IMHO. Here's a sample:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4543282

The CPU is rated ~11% better, the primary drive is as fast as you could need, and there's 32GB of RAM. The motherboard is upgraded. but it's $725 more.

If you want to go the custom route, your very best bet is to wait for the RTX 4070 to come to market. Rumor has it, Jan 5. It is slated to be about 40% better/faster than a 3070 Ti, and will be around the same price point. It will also kick the 3080 Ti to the curb. The 4080 comes out tomorrow. Perhaps DS will have inventory to offer it. It will be over budget.

Choices, choices.    
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:09am
assuming you're stringing a few 1080p monitors together, a safe bet is 8GB graphics card (or more) for high end.  a 6-core cpu.  min. 16GB system memory (RAM).  allow for about 50GB of storage space in addition to your OS (Windows 10/11). 

edit:  you could go lower specs than Cretae's build and be alright.  the Lynx "Better" build for example. 

Edited by db188 - 16 Nov 2022 at 1:13am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply