Post Date: 2021-08-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
raygeboxi47 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote raygeboxi47 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PC Freezing
    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 11:49pm
Hi everyone! I hope this is the right subreddit to ask this. My pc has been giving trouble for a couple of months now.

At first, the screens would go black while the pc was still on and I would be forced to shut it down. After a lot of testing (checking wires, testing the screens and pc hardware in another pc), I thought it was the gpu. It was the oldest part in my pc (2015). I got another one (a barely used secondhand one due to crazy gpu prices now), and all seemed well for a few weeks. But it has started again.

My pc would just freeze, screens go black, the sound would stop, etc, but the fans and lights stay on. It happens at random intervals, sometimes a few times a day and other times once a week. I can't pinpoint a specific activity triggering it. It's happened while gaming, watching Netflix, working on a Word document. Sometimes the screens would show strange static colors. The temperatures are good but to be safe I added an extra fan which hasn't changed anything.

My pc specs: Processor: Intel Core i5 2.9GHz (2 years old) RAM: 16GB Ripjaw (2 years old) Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 UD (2 years old) PSU: Super Flower Silver 750W (4 months old) GPU: Nvidia GTX 780TI (unknown age, but the friend I bought it from barely used it) I have two screens and two hard drives, all under 3 years of use.

What part could be the problem so I can test it in another pc? Most pieces are still under warranty.

Thank you!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:10am
Have you tried the onboard video output to rule out the gpu? (you have to remove the gpu to have the mobo video out operate.) It could be so many things going bad that its tough to diagnose. I take it that here is no report in the event viewer.

Maybe someone else will provide more knowledge to your problem.
Good luck.

Edited by hoserator - 07 Aug 2021 at 9:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply