Post Date: 2018-12-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wirick27 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Wirick27 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Pc Gaming Subscriptions
    Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:40pm
Looking for suggestions on what are the best gaming Subscriptions to get you started in PC gaming. I just bought our boys pc's for xmas and not being sure of what games they will like was thinking that maybe there are Subscriptions that allow you access to a variety of games, or are all Subscriptions game specific usually? New to this and cant ask my kids as the pc's are a surprise.

Appreciate any info
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 3:37pm
Hi,

So I'll give a couple of thoughts, hopefully others will chime in as well. Big%20Smile

If you are looking at a true "subscription service" then you're really looking at EA Access or Origin Access. You'd want to check out the offerings at each of these to see if you feel like they have a good library for the amount of money you pay. There are also services like Humble Monthly and Twitch Prime where you do get access to games, but there's a good bit of randomization (for better or worse) as to what you end up having access to each month. There is the potential that Xbox Game Pass will eventually come to PC (and that will be a big deal when/if it does) but it's not available right now. There are also lesser known (to me) subscription services like Utomik and GeForce Now (in BETA) that you could look into.

As far as I know, "Netflix-like" game subscription services are not super prevalent on PC outside of the above suggestions. As you mention, subscriptions - if they exist at all - are normally game specific, such as World of Warcraft having a monthly subscription for that game alone. There are large-scale PC game stores, such as Steam (which you may have heard of) but there is no "subscription" to Steam itself, as it is just a platform to digitally buy/subscribe to specific games.

However, I think "cloud-based" gaming is going to become increasingly prevalent, so you're not asking the wrong questions, you might just be a bit ahead of the curve. Big%20Smile There are quite a few games to be had in the various subscription services I mention above though, definitely enough to get them started if that's the route you decide to go with.

Edited by Tidgxor - 01 Dec 2018 at 3:37pm
Wirick27 View Drop Down

Quote Wirick27 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 5:47pm
Thanks Tidgxor,

I know of steam as my 16yr old always wants more steam cards for his birthday/holiday. World or Warcraft is one that I had been told to get subscribed to rather than buy a game bundle, so they can see if it'something they like, but if they lose interest then you haven't wasted the money on something they wont use. I will take a look at the others you mentioned.

Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply