FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PhysX Importance Moving Forward

Post Date: 2008-11-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zieglerj14 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zieglerj14 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PhysX Importance Moving Forward
    Posted: 22 Nov 2008 at 3:56pm
I am debating between ATI and Nvidia for the GPU's on a new system.  To be precise dual 4870x2's or dual GTX 280's.  Frame rates differ based on games, there is about a 250 dollar difference, Directx 10 versus Direct X 10.1, but let's ignore all of that for the time being.

To date, there aren't a ton of games making large use of PhysX technology, but with most Nvidia card's now getting the bump to include such with the most recent drivers, I would expect developers in the future to begin to do so.

I have heard grumblings of ATI supported PhysX or similar in the future, but have yet to see anything concrete.

So, to get to the point, here is my question:

How much of a hindrance to gaming in the next couple years will it be by buying ATI and potentially not having supported PhysX on my rig?  Can we realistically expect ATI to offer PhysX or similar support in the immediate future?  Should I really go with Nvidia just to future-proof myself for PhysX related features on newer games?

The other option is to grab one of the now cheaper PPU's, but that is another 100+ bucks and a PCI slot I could potentially find better use for.

Obviously, this is an opion-oriented question, but I am curious to hear people's views before I invest a large chunk of cash into a rig and video cards, just to turn around curse myself for not getting something with PhysX when that new game seven months from now makes great use of it.  Then to turn around and swap out the video cards because of it.

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Jason
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Online Status: Offline
  Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2008 at 4:06pm
Valve, Blizzard, and several other developers have already said that they will not be supporting PhysX anytime soon.

I'm certain that AMD will have something ready if PhysX ever do become mainstream.

Only a handful of games such as Grid and UT3 support PhysX right now so if you play those, I guess it's worth having but it's not worth it to get a dedicated PPU to futureproof.

And CrossfireX 4870x2 is totally overkill for any resolution below 2560x1600 >.<
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
 Post Reply Post Reply