FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Planning to Purchase: Notebook Configurator

Post Date: 2008-09-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RGordon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RGordon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Planning to Purchase: Notebook Configurator
    Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 10:44am
Currently, my job has me scooting from home to warehouse to work to (sometimes) hotel to (repeat the last two, if the latter is applicable, until finished) to warehouse and home again, and there is only so much a PSP/DS with games and internet access can do for me.

After cruising around on the internet for awhile and reading posts about customer service (especially important for laptops), I've decided that if a 'do-it-all' desktop replacement notebook is going to happen, it's going to be DS. I've been messing about with the notebook configurator, specifically 'Gaming Dominator' (184291) for $2961 and 'Benchmark Crusher.' (184289) for $3424, from here on to be referenced as GD or BC. I haven't had luck with the e-mail I sent, but I assume the site's form just malfunctioned. The new photos have answered some of my questions, but a few remain (more fleshed out) that stay my hand:

1. Audio. What does either system have? I suppose I could use an external card, but it'd be neat to know.
  2. Battery life. What sort of batteries are used and how long should I expect them to last? Obviously, I don't expect either to last unsupplemented for very long on extended car trips, but an estimation would be nice.
  3. The more I think about it, the more I believe an additional $500 isn't that big of a deal for the BC (and the superior chassis). However, I'm still curious why only one kind of video card is supported for the GD. Is it just biding its time for the Mobility Radeon 4850 (which I'd take over the 9800M GT or GTX), or will that ever be on the list for this laptop?
  4. Will the mobility Radeon 4850/(70?) be offered for the BC, or am I thinking way too far ahead for this card?
  5. Statement: I don't care about SLI or Crossfire for a notebook, so support isn't a concern for me.
  6. Statement: to be honest, I'm not too impressed with the selection of hard drives. Both configurations sport the bottom-end hard drive. I'm not sure why some of them are priced the way they are, but I found a 320GB 7.2k 16mb cache laptop drive for $140 (two of these would cost less than the second 8MB equivalent alone). I may just use the WD tool to transfer and enlarge partitions from the small drive to the large drive and either keep the small one around as backup, or change the laptop configuration to a 7.2k and leave it in as a backup. Or just go ahead with two 80GB's and switch to WD's 500GB later. Or blank it and the OS licenses and buy them seperately.
  7. If hard drives are included with the purchase, would modifying that aspect of the system yourself void the warranty? How extensive is the warranty as to common wear and damages?
  8. Off-hand: I know the Configurator mentions it, but it isn't visible in the DS Upgrades section. Will upgrades actually be made available? If so, that would just about seal the deal.

Edited by RGordon - 18 Sep 2008 at 10:44am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 2:15pm
1. not sure

2. again not sure

3. OK let me clarify,

the benchmark crusher is using a desktop processor and is a quad core you can upgrade this later all the way to to a qx9770 3.2GHz.

the gaming dominator is a dual core laptop processor and the highest you can upgrade that is to a quad core x9300 2.5GHz

so the bench mark crusher is actually a desktop inside a laptop and its going be way more powerful then the dual core.

if you notice the GD uses laptop graphic cards while the BC is using desktop graphic cards.

so I hope that answers your question.

4. this was answered in number 3.

5. not sure what support has to do with sli or crossfire

6. in laptop a 7200 rpm is more then enough, but they do offer ssd drives which are high end drives right now next to velociraptor, but I'm not sure if a laptop can handle all that heat.

7. the warranty is on all the parts OS if anything goes wrong they are covered, now if you are talking about, say you want to add another HDD and what to know what happens to your warranty, then nothing, the warranty is good, the new HDD has no warranty from DS tho unless you got it from them.

8. can you please clarify what you mean by upgrade?

parts or the whole laptop?

now here is info on me, I'm looking to buy 2 laptops and one workstation for now from these guys.

they are the best place after I search the internet low and high, calling places, emailing places. the only place I found that still really operates under the "customer is always right" is DS.

when I do buy laptops, I want the most power so the quad core desktop is the way to go for me.

Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 3:04pm
6...... What heat?  Unless you meant "But I'm not sure if a laptop can handle all that heat being generated by a Velociraptor."

SSDs supposedly, laptops I haven't even studied yet so I'm just walking in here blind, but that last article I read on SSD's (Intel specifically which were just AWESOME), stated they use less power so more battery time, are obviously silent.  And the current models number generate way less heat than even standard HDs right?  Sure in the future they'll probably get just as hot or something.
"People believe in people who believe in others."
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 3:13pm
HDDs get very hot in laptops, not sure if ssd-s do
RGordon View Drop Down

Quote RGordon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 1:54am
As to the below:
3) a) I didn't mention CPU's in 3, but the upgrade info is interesting. b) I do understand that desktop CPU's are more powerful than mobile CPU's, and took that into consideration. However, 9800M video is mobile, not desktop.
4) see 3)
5) Support: whether or not a the mainboard supports it. The BC supports SLI, the GD supports Crossfire.
6) I know 7200RPM is good enough for a laptop. But the ones offered by DS are more expensive for less cache than what I could get from a place like newegg. I'm not impressed enough with the SSD drives yet to dip my wick into one.
7) I'm aware that a new part from another company wouldn't be covered under DS warranty, but I was wondering about the policy as to coverage for the rest of the (original) hardware should a user install an upgrade. Some companies get picky if you poke around their hardware.
8) Upgrade Center...for if I wanted to, say, add a Blu-Ray drive later. In the odd case that I actually found one somewhere, I'd want something that stands flush to the chassis. I know DS is a kick-ass company by reputation (or I wouldn't be here) (edit: and the fact that they just sent me an offered discount), but I still have questions. Some have been taken care of by the forum, but I had no luck with e-mail.

edit: As to the discount, it should be upgraded to match the new $100 instant saving. "Just to be clear, this is an additional $171.00 off along with our limited time $250 instant saving."

Originally posted by DST4ME

3. OK let me clarify,

a) the benchmark crusher is using a desktop processor and is a quad core you can upgrade this later all the way to to a qx9770 3.2GHz.

the gaming dominator is a dual core laptop processor and the highest you can upgrade that is to a quad core x9300 2.5GHz

b) so the bench mark crusher is actually a desktop inside a laptop and its going be way more powerful then the dual core.

c) if you notice the GD uses laptop graphic cards while the BC is using desktop graphic cards.

so I hope that answers your question.

4. this was answered in number 3.

5. not sure what support has to do with sli or crossfire

6. in laptop a 7200 rpm is more then enough, but they do offer ssd drives which are high end drives right now next to velociraptor, but I'm not sure if a laptop can handle all that heat.

7. the warranty is on all the parts OS if anything goes wrong they are covered, now if you are talking about, say you want to add another HDD and what to know what happens to your warranty, then nothing, the warranty is good, the new HDD has no warranty from DS tho unless you got it from them.

8. can you please clarify what you mean by upgrade?

parts or the whole laptop?

now here is info on me, I'm looking to buy 2 laptops and one workstation for now from these guys.

they are the best place after I search the internet low and high, calling places, emailing places. the only place I found that still really operates under the "customer is always right" is DS.

when I do buy laptops, I want the most power so the quad core desktop is the way to go for me.

Edited by RGordon - 21 Sep 2008 at 2:08am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 2:16am
3. a) OK show me where you can pick a desktop CPU with a mobile GPU.

5. you said "Statement: I don't care about SLI or Crossfire for a notebook, so support isn't a concern for me."

who said anything about support other then you? that statement is confusing cause its not a normal question or topic.

there are mombos that support sli and there are mombos offered that support ati, its not a choice, its either an nvidia base mombo or ati base mombo. Weather I care or you care does not matter, the ati will support crossfire and the nvidia will supprt sli.

6. you said they offer low end drives, I'm pointing out to you that ssd-s are the high-end drives, so your statement is not correct. the 7.2k rpm drive you have found is not faster then ssd drives.

ask newegg how much that drive will cost if they install it for you, then lets compare that to the prices of DS.

other then the components that are going to be installed we do recommend to people to go get their other stuff from a place like newegg.

7. as-long as you are noting going to do anything that will damage the setup you are fine, DS builds their systems for people who like to play around and upgrade their PCs

8. for specific question I guess its best if you call DS

hope that clears it up

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Sep 2008 at 2:18am
RGordon View Drop Down

Quote RGordon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 5:13am
What?

3a) Configure a benchmark crusher. You can pick a desktop CPU and a 9800M GT or GTX.

5) Let me restate: I'm not interested in putting two video cards in one laptop. So putting an NV card in a board that only supports Crossfire and eliminating my chance to buy a single extra card in the future to install for Crossfire isn't a problem. Likewise, putting an ATI card in a board that only supports SLI isn't an issue. The BC has an SLI board and the GD has a Crossfire board. The GD only has Mobility 38xx options. I'd prefer a 9800M GT on a GD, but it's not offered by the configurator. Does that clear up the question?

6) I am not impressed with the price/performance of SSD drives. I stated that I can get a large capacity drive with more cache than DS's offering for a lower price. Put simply: 320GB 7.2k 8MB cache DS mobile drive price is higher than 320GB 7.2k 16MB cache Newegg mobile drive price. I'm sure installation's taken into consideration, but it's just a matter of shopping. Additionally, it was a statement of intention: buy without a drive alongside Newegg's drive and install the OS licenses DS sends out manually, or buy with a low-capacity drive from DS and upgrade later to a 500GB mobile, transferring installations over with Western Digital's toolset.

7) Answers that question. Thanks.

8) Sent another e-mail earlier.

Originally posted by DST4ME

3. a) OK show me where you can pick a desktop CPU with a mobile GPU.

5. you said "Statement: I don't care about SLI or Crossfire for a notebook, so support isn't a concern for me."

who said anything about support other then you? that statement is confusing cause its not a normal question or topic.

there are mombos that support sli and there are mombos offered that support ati, its not a choice, its either an nvidia base mombo or ati base mombo. Weather I care or you care does not matter, the ati will support crossfire and the nvidia will supprt sli.

6. you said they offer low end drives, I'm pointing out to you that ssd-s are the high-end drives, so your statement is not correct. the 7.2k rpm drive you have found is not faster then ssd drives.

ask newegg how much that drive will cost if they install it for you, then lets compare that to the prices of DS.

other then the components that are going to be installed we do recommend to people to go get their other stuff from a place like newegg.

7. as-long as you are noting going to do anything that will damage the setup you are fine, DS builds their systems for people who like to play around and upgrade their PCs

8. for specific question I guess its best if you call DS

hope that clears it up

Edited by RGordon - 21 Sep 2008 at 5:20am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 5:40am
3. forget what I said, my head is in too many places at once, ofcourse its a mobile card, it couldn't possibly be a regular one talk about not paying attention.lol.

THX for explaining it all makes perfect sense now

5. I see what you mean now, but I think as for the GD and BC both mombos automatically support. actually looks like the GD is the ati system and BC is the nvidia system both supporting respectively crossfire and sli

6. for the first HDD for example I/we advise to get from DS, otherwise they can't do full testing and that can turn into a whole new headache. but anything pass that, I/we do advise shopping around and getting the best price.
Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 5:41am
Uhhhh I'm just gonna randomly state this.... after very quickly skimming the posts here.

"If you can call them and do a custom order of just about ANYTHING you want for computers.  I'm sure this is applicable in laptops too."

"You dream it, we build it." statement isn't there for nothing lol.

Edited by Axel Daemon - 21 Sep 2008 at 5:41am
"People believe in people who believe in others."
RGordon View Drop Down

Quote RGordon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Axel Daemon

Uhhhh I'm just gonna randomly state this.... after very quickly skimming the posts here.

"If you can call them and do a custom order of just about ANYTHING you want for computers.  I'm sure this is applicable in laptops too."

"You dream it, we build it." statement isn't there for nothing lol.

Thanks. I might give them a call soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply