FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please help a complete NEWB

Post Date: 2021-11-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cdlancaster View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cdlancaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Please help a complete NEWB
    Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 8:59pm
Budget:
I don't think I have any budget limitations

Expectations:
I want to be able to load it up with games and not worry about speed or storage or graphics

Usage:
Strictly Gaming

Special Needs:
None that I am aware of

Saved Ticket #: None

Specifications:
None because I have no clue lol

I appreciate those that helped me with a possible laptop specifically for gaming. However, my sweet husband thinks I should get a desktop-one of my dreams. The problem is that I have no clue what I want. Or I have no clue what I need! It will be strictly for gaming-and strictly for me. I can list the games I want to put on it-but that is all I know. I am used to consoles and Mac-it has been years since I have used a Windows based operating system. I do know I will be adding all DLC and also mods and custom content to games (where appropriate). The games I originally wanted the laptop for were Sims 4, Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster, and Two-Point Hospital. However I also recently sold my PS4 so am possibly looking to add RDR2 and other open-world games such as this, Cities Skylines possibly, and of course Indies such as Stardew Valley. I have been know to "collect" games faster than I can play them lol.I have no clue what I need so that I don't outgrow my pc any time soon. I am used to just buying the system and being ready to go! Please help. Also I was thinking a curved monitor about 32/34"?? I like feeling immersed in the game-though I strictly play my switch in handheld (go figure lol). Originally I wanted to be all girly and buy a pink system but that's not wise-I want a system that will be awesome-not just pink! Please any advice? Should I call-I am completely ignorant about building PCs. Thank you so much in advance for your advice and patience.
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 9:39pm
Welcome to the world of PC gaming! Just like you, I'm mostly a Mac user. I spend 90% of my time on the Mac. However, I always have a Digital Storm PC around for gaming. That's literally all that I use it for. I simply turn it on, and immediately launch a game.

And you'll love gaming on a 34" curved monitor. That's the sweet spot for immersive gaming in my opinion. Smaller monitors aren't immersive enough. Larger monitors a great, but they cost a lot more. This means you'll be gaming at a resolution of 3440 x 1440.

I bet you'll get plenty of advice from other members soon. :)
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 6:05am
The games you like most are not at all demanding graphically or otherwise, so I see no point in going all-in for high-end parts at today's prices. The build I'm recommending will serve you well for up to 5 years and perhaps longer:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4158053

The AMD CPU is not cutting-edge, but it is way more than just adequate for modern gaming. The motherboard is a cost-effective upgrade from standard that will serve you very well for heat control and longevity.

The primary "C" drive is cutting-edge NVMe GEN 4 SSD tech that will amaze you with it's 0-delay response. The secondary storage is also an NVMe SSD that represents one of the few options here I think are not a bit pricy. The PRO line in SATA drives are very expensive because they are not really consumer drives. They are overkill. If you want more storage to start with, get the 2TB HDD for $84 at Storage Set 3.

The center of your build and the most expensive single part is the GPU. For a large monitor at 1440p, the 3060 Ti is the right choice for the games you play most. The ONLY exception would be RDR2 which a challenging game graphically. IT WILL PLAY WELL at 1440p on a large monitor if you just dial back the settings a bit. If you are going to get a bunch of the AAA games out now or in the future, step up to an RTX 3070.

The 3060 Ti will play every other game you name without even breaking a sweat. It's the right choice IMHO. Keep in mind a whole new line from Nvidia is only about 10 months away, and they will be much stronger and should be much cheaper, we hope.   
cdlancaster View Drop Down

Quote cdlancaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 1:32pm
So this will be fine for the open world games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Fallout 4, Assassin's Creed Origins, Odyssey, and Vallheim, Ark Survivor Evolved, Witcher 3, Far Cry 3,4,5,6, Ghosts of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc? I know my 500GB PS4 couldn't hold them all. Plus a whole list of others?
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 6:44pm
Many of those games are AAA games. Graphically intensive and will rely heavily on the GPU. So, Cretae gave you a build using the 3060 ti which keep your cost down, but you may have to dial back the games graphics settings to achieve the frame rates you want. 1080p monitor, maybe not too much................... 1440p monitor, maybe quite a bit. For peace of mind and if your budget can hanle it, step up to the RTX 3070 as Cretae suggested. You will be good to go then. Hope that clears it up for you and good luck.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 05 Nov 2021 at 6:45pm
Old Gamers Never Die!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 7:04pm
One of the nicest things about the Digital Storm Forum members is the fact they go out of there way to help insure we are getting the best gaming system for the dollars we have to spend!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 3:48am
There are only a few of the games you have newly mentioned that are recent enough to pose a challenge for a 3060 Ti. Even RDR2, the most intense of the bunch, will run about 60 frames per second on ULTRA at 1440p resolution. Coming from a console, that is what you are used to.

However, since you state you have no budget limit, go ahead with the RTX 3070. That will play everything at higher framerates, no worries. I'm also going to recommend you upgrade the CPU to a 5800X.

Since you will be loading up the much larger games, I would also get the 2TB HDD at Storage 3. Put your AAA games on the two SSDs, and the smaller ones on the mechanical hard drive.

Here's what the revision would look like:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4160425

If that's a bit much, drop the RGB fans and save $199. They look great in a Lumos case, but in the end we're looking at the monitor, not the case.

Edit: Apologies for not mentioning the Intel side of the ledger. Alder Lake processors are now available, and they present the opportunity to have the latest tech in CPUs. Initially, there was no compelling reason given the games you cited for you to go beyond the very capable Ryzen 5600X. When you shifted gears to more demanding tastes, I felt the "no budget limit" should allow a CPU upgrade. I was remiss in not recommending an Intel build with the latest tech. With the disclaimer that the latest and greatest can come with some growing pains and might need some tweaking early on, here is a comparable Alder Lake Intel build:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4160985

The i-7 12700K is the better Intel pick for you than the more expensive i9-12900K and offers a stronger CPU than the AMD 5800X.

Either set-up will last years.   

Edited by Cretae - 06 Nov 2021 at 2:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply