Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cdlancaster View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cdlancaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Please Help
    Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 6:30pm
Budget:
I don't have any budget limitations

Hi! I have been a Mac user for many years. My gaming has been done on consoles instead of PCs. I am wanting to buy something to play the following games-Sims 4, Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster, and Touch Point Hospital. I am sure there will be other smaller games like Stardew that I may find but those are the major titles I want. Of course it would include all DLC and Expansion packs plus mods and custom content. I am so lost as to what I need to run these games smoothly and will hold all that content. I initially wanted a laptop but have been told by those in a FB group that there is no way a laptop can successfully run all those games. I get lost with specifications because I have no clue what they mean. I would like something I wouldn't have to update any time soon-so lots of storage! I will not be using it for any other purpose but gaming. I will be keeping my Mac for all my other stuff. Please help with advice-desktop or laptop. What specifications should I get? I have no limitations on my budget so cost isn't an issue at this point. Thank you so much in advance!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 3:45am
Welcome to DS. Awesome

The real configurator gurus will come by and give you real good advise. that said, it will help them if they know what monitor you have or plan to get. If using a 4K TV also let us know.

Have fun and enjoy.  Smile

Forgot to mention tha 1440/2K is the sweet spot in resolution right now.

Edited by hoserator - 26 Oct 2021 at 3:46am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 5:07am
The Facebook group is out to lunch. They apparently have never heard of a GAMING laptop. Those games will hardly pose a problem for the cheaper of the two Avons ("BEST") if you still wish to pursue a laptop. In fact that model will crush those games and anything like them.

If you want to go that route, I would recommend you upgrade to the 2TB Samsung 970 Evo PLUS NVMExpress SSD. That will give you 2 terabytes (around 2000 gigabytes) of super-fast memory to hold dozens and dozens of games throughout the life of your Avon. That'll run you $263, making the price of your laptop $2651. You don't need anything else.

If you've been persuaded to get a desktop, the best deal for you here is the "Ready-to-Ship" Lynx "Best" at $1999. Unfortunately, it's out of stock at the moment, but "coming soon" in November. Contact DS sales for more info.

The so-called "pre-builts" cannot be customized, but that model will come with everything you need for playing your favorite games for several years without touching a thing. Total 2.5TB of storage. The graphics processor that comes with it is the desktop version of the one in the Avon laptop. It would allow you to game on a 2560x1440 monitor resolution (called 1440p) at high frame rates up to 165Hz. Such a monitor will add from about $400 and up. Look at this:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/1440p-144hz

This is just a sample of the info you can get online about monitors. Take your time, ask your friends, go looking at Big Box stores, etc. (Just don't ask that Facebook group!) Monitors can last a very long time, so you want one you really like. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a good one, and you don't have to have 1440p. The next step down is 1080p which is 1920x1080 pixels. Quite a few less than 1440p, but a clear, bright, pleasing picture at 24-27" size. A good one can often be had under $300. Be sure you go for one with a high refresh rate of 144-165Hz.

TMI? Ask questions. We're here.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 7:09pm
cdlancaster.

Cretae recommended my new build and I have full faith in his suggestions to you! He has recommended builds for some of the best!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
cdlancaster View Drop Down

Quote cdlancaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 8:42pm
Thank you for the responses! I would much prefer a laptop so that I can play while traveling, hanging out with my husband, etc. I was hoping that it would be possible! You have made me feel much better about that!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 1:29am
Enjoy the search.
Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 4:58am
I'm happy to hear that! The Avon with extra storage is ideal for your use. It is stronger than your basic need which means it will serve you well perhaps as long as it lasts. Whatever you do, don't think the stronger model is better for you. It would be a total waste for the modest demands of the games you like.    
 Post Reply Post Reply