FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please Help With Correct Build

Post Date: 2019-12-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Furio View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Furio Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Please Help With Correct Build
    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:28pm
Budget:
Up to $4,000

Expectations:
I want to play games at Ultra with a good FPS. My primary games played are Call of Duty, WOW, R6 Siege, and RDR2. I know that this build should play all these titles at 1440 Ultra settings, but I think it may be an overkill build for my needs. any suggestions?

Usage:
Primarily gaming with occasional light office duty

Special Needs: N/A

Saved Ticket #: 2765844

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16-Core) 4.7 GHz Turbo (ETA END OF DECEMBER)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA 850 GQ (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 5:59pm
Welcome to the forum Furio! Nothing wrong with overkill, but I can try to re-frame the gaming focus of the build.

You don't describe any possible use for all the extra CPU cores of the expensive Ryzen 9 3950X 16-core processor. Gaming simply can't utilize all those extra cores.

What you want the rig to do primarily is Ultra settings in gaming at 1440P resolution.   Getting there is a GPU centric thing - you would want to invest in the best Video Card you can afford if you want overkill performance...the 2080 Super should do a lot of the games at 1440P in Ultra, but perhaps not all of them. The best consumer GPU is the RTX 2080 Ti and should reliably use Ultra settings at 1440P and higher for the best frame rates possible with a 1 card air cooled solution.. I will suggest a couple of builds below.

If you like Ryzen, here is a build that focuses more on a solid CPU and maxing out the GPU...using Ryzen 3900X 12-core CPU (-$342)..smaller Samsung 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD drive (-$129) to help stay on budget.. better Corsair RM850X PSU w/ 5 yr warranty ($+16)...We don't recommend Overclocking the GPU on air cooling alone.

BTW...If you like white, the Velox offers white painted exterior paint for +$149!

Ryzen build2 Config # 2766007 $4477 minus DS Sale $400 off = $4077 total

Ryzen build2 would use the top of line NVidia RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB VRAM (+$573) for maxed out Ultra GPU performance. Paid for in part by reducing to a 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD (-$129), and a Ryzen 3900X 12-core CPU (-$342). DS can't Overclock Ryzen CPU, but it operates Turbo at 4.7 gHz.

Ryzen build3 Config # 2766017 $4033 minus DS Sale $400 off = $3733 total

*Also uses the Ryzen 3900X 12-core CPU, drops back to the excellent RTX 2080 Super 8 GB VRAM and returns to the 1 TB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD...keeping Config price just above $4k to get maximum Sale $400 off the build.

Intel build1 Config # 2766046 $4467 minus DS Sale $400 off = $4067

*Uses very popular top gaming Intel I9-9900X 8-core 16-thread CPU fully Overclocked to Stage 2 at 5.1 gHZ, Samsung 1 TB M.2 NVME SSD, and top of the line NVidia RTX 2080 Ti GPU.

See what you think...Either of these suggested builds would better use your money on the gaming emphasis you said you wanted that gets you top gaming performance.   
Furio View Drop Down

Quote Furio Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 4:39am
Thank you very much, this information is a great help! Two final questions, would you recommend a cheaper MB than the selected ASUS-ROG Crosshair VIII Hero and is an airflow control board/software needed for the Corsair fans, I read somewhere that it really wasn't?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:28am
Lotta work HB has put into this analysis.

These are excellent choices presented, and it's just up to you what's the most important issue. Both of these CPU's are vastly superior to what was available just a couple of years ago, and for a gamer, they are so beyond the minimum for gaming they will stand up for years.

The difference between the GPU's comes down to framerates at 1440p. If you also want the highest fps you can get at Ultra settings, the 2080 Ti is the one. If 100+ in almost very game you can name is good enough, get the 2080 SUPER. The 2080 Ti may remain top dog, but word is the rest of the line is due for a re-vamp by mid 2020.   

Just noted your questions....

A cheaper board is going to lack a few features, and perhaps not run as cool, or overclock as well, but these aren't major concerns. I could recommend the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon pretty easily. Most members go with this or the ROG Strix.

The airflow control board is not needed. Corsair has a downloadable iCue software that will give you comprehensive control including over colors.

Edited by Cretae - 08 Dec 2019 at 5:42am
Furio View Drop Down

Quote Furio Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 7:58am
Thank you both for all your help! I decided to pull the trigger on this build configuration: 2767035

I think the 2080 Super will exceed all my needs and future proof me for a few years for sure. Is there any brand you recommend I should request in the comments section of the order?

Regardless, my last Digital Storm PC was delivered December 2008. It has lasted that long, so an upgrade will be night and day. I currently am running a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @2.83GHz and my card is a GTX 750Ti. Now the wait will be the hardest!
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 11:24am

Well done build sir!    I think you will be extremely happy with your selections!
Coming from your old DS rig, you are really going to notice everything zipping along so much faster!   

Your Asus Z390 Maximus Hero mobo has a Q-Code reader lcd screen that can be extremely helpful in revealing any motherboard error codes if problems should arise, and it’s VRM power section capacitors are quite robust for smooth and stable Overclocking.

Your question about GPU brand... I believe EVGA is the best and most reliable.   
You could request they use an EVGA branded card, or you could ask them to get a specific EVGA card and ask how much it will cost.     I always recommend the EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Gaming....has a very effective 3 fan cooler with a thick heavy heatsink that works very well.    I have the non-super 2080 version and it’s been excellent.   

Let us know how the process goes for you! Cheers!

Edited by HockeyBuck - 08 Dec 2019 at 11:27am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 2:38am
Prepare to be blown away.

Post Reply Post Reply