FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please review my Config

Post Date: 2010-07-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
krappei View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote krappei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Please review my Config
    Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 12:40pm
Hi,

In the past, I have purchased desktops from Best Buy and Dell. I have been doing research the past month to learn a bit about custom build PC's, and have pretty much set my sights on getting one from DS. I have been reading the forums for advice given to other builders and have come up one that I think will fit my needs. BTW, this is to replace a 6 year old Dell Dimension 4600. Any advice/comments would greatly be appreciated.

My goal: Budget Around $2000. I want to run dual 23-24" monitors @ 1900x1200 for each when running browsers, MS Office software, Visual Studio, and vidoes & music (1900x1200 single monitor for Starcraft 2 at highest visual settings). Starcraft 2 and future expansions sets will be the most advanced gaming I will do. Plan to purchase within a month or so. Also, reliability is very important.

Questions:
1) Is my graphics card (5870) sufficient? If I want to save a little money, can I go down a step (5770)? What about a single 5870 versus 2x5770? Figuring out the ideal graphics card was the most challenging.
2) Is it worth the $15 to go for 64MB Cashe hard drive?
3) I'm pretty much set on Noctua Dual, but if the NH-D14 is significantly better, I will reconsider. There appear to be many differing opinions in the DS community about this.
4) With the free overclocking for the processor and graphics card, what lifespan can I expect? I would feel better that the PC life will be 10+ years even though I'll probably get a new one before then.

Ticket Number: 424821
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,055.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=424821

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Assassin Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: - No Thanks, Please test my memory, I will be responsible for software based support
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:20pm
1) I'd go for 1 5870 since crossifre does not work 100% of the time.
2) Probably not, I don't think Cache will do much for random read and write speeds.
3) I don't like the NH-D14, it's ugly, heavy, blocks all of your ram slots. It's over egineered, a concept taken to far, but it does preform, albiet only 2-3 degrees better than traditional tower coolers. It's up to you to decide of 2-3 degrees is worth the extra 300 grams hanging off your mobo.
4) No one can make long term guarantees to electronics as senstive as these, there's always a tiny chance that you can end up iffy parts that can drammatically reduce the life of yor system. But if you aim for a reasonable overclock 3.8 gigish, and keep your voltage sensible, and temps down, then your system's should have the same life expectancy as it would on stock settings

Edited by sirsiddius - 24 Jul 2010 at 1:21pm
Runes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Runes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:31pm
1. Yes, but if you're using the rig to game, you should be building it around graphic power rather than taking what's sufficient. The 480 is the best single card on the market right now, I would go for that. More on saving money later.

2. Not in the slightest. You won't notice any difference.

3. The Noctua Dual has the best price/performance ratio and will easily get you to the maximum free overclock DS does.

4. Ten years is a long time. The lifespan depends on the temperatures that the hardware experience, so if you aren't comfortable with shortening the life of your hardware, we can always help you turn the overclock down (thereby reducing temperatures).

To save money, build out of the budget section.

Unless you're dead set on the Assassin case, go for a HAF 932. It's the best stock air cooled one DS has.

You can also drop your processor down to a 920, as all 900-series quad cores are the same hardware with different factory settings.

Not sure what you're looking for in terms of motherboards, but I put in the standard one.

Here's a config for you to go by. $1928
krappei View Drop Down

Quote krappei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:59pm
Thanks for the feedback thus far.
-Rune, don't you think the 480 is overkill for my purpose?
-I will reduce to the 920.
-I selected the Assassin case for it's good reviews and appearance. However, I'll consider the HAF 932.
-As for the motherboard, I selected the ASUS deluxe one over EVGA because of the rave customer reviews on Newegg, and I have the impression that ASUS is more reliable.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 2:17pm
-It probably is overkill for Starcraft 2 @ 1200p [http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=958&type=expert] but who knows maybe you'll find other games to play.

http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/958/sc2-2560-1x-bar.jpg
-Yeah reduce to the 920, I doubt it'll make any diffrence
-Those who like the Assassin case's smooth clean aesthetics will find it hard to accept the HAF's styling. Isn't the Assassin case also very airflow optimized, and thermodymicaly friendly; the 3 180mm fans coupled with the horizontal mobo dr
aws gpu heat up out the case, much more effective than doing it the traditional way.
-forum goers here have been brainwashed by DST4ME and justin.kerr to automatically support EVGA, both companies produce great boards, both have produced lemons. However with this current gen they're all very similar. Flip a coin to decide, or if you want to save a couple of dollars go with EVGA

Edited by sirsiddius - 24 Jul 2010 at 2:39pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:58pm
Asus has always produced quality products in my experience, which is considerable btw. However, not having been brainwashed in the slightest by anyone,  I can tell you from my own research that Asus is having a very rough time with customer support these days. Mostly, from what I see, they are not responding to customers. Period. EVGA does not have this problem. Period. I call these little things facts. End of brainwashing session.

Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 6:37pm
Some of actually have EVGA motherboards and can vouch for their amazing quality for the price.

But even besides that, just pay attention to details and do some damn research, it isn't hard. I'm not seeing any advantages to having an ASUS board jump out and bite me.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:10am
Yeah Asus is big and evil, so their customer support isn't great but, I find that when there's a a problem with a motherboard, a call to tech support rarely helps and it's usually goes back to the retailers for an RMA anyways. Anyways if you order from DS, you'll never have to deal with either Asus or Evga.

Dragoonseal, support Evga if you want, Just as support I Asus, But don't go ripping on Asus soley because you don't like the brand, you don't see me doing that with Evga do you?

Just like you have an Evga board, I have an Asus board it's a P5QL, I picked it up in China for penuts back in 2008 for a build made out of salvaged dell parts. The 2.3 ghz northwood is currently rocking @ 3.2 ghz. It's been working day in and day out as has had no problem for the last 2 years. And for that I respect Asus.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 9:36am
I know I only have used a few ASUS boards, maybe 15 or so, but IMHO they made great boards for the Intel 775 platform.. very very good... 10x better than EVGA.
The X58 platform.. the early Asus boards were total crap, I mean crap of crap. The Evga have been very good for the X58 platform.  Now the newest Asus boards, especially the RE III is a great board, just as good, if not better than the Evga classified. The lower end Asus boards, I do  not know about, but I see they still have some throttling issues, so I would still not recommend them..
The Gigabyte boards still have the best efficiency, clock for clock they will be the fastest boards, but the difference is never noticed except in benchmarking.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 5:25pm

@Sirsiddius - I absolutely used to agree with you when we all were getting 3 yr warranties. Now the majority have just 1 yr parts coverage, and customer support from your board maker is decidely an issue.  Idk about big and evil, and I think the products are not the problem. If I recommend/endorse Asus knowing the issues that exist, the one guy out of 20/30/50 who gets a bad board and then can't get anyone to stand behind it has a problem with MY advice.

Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
krappei View Drop Down

Quote krappei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 9:52pm
Thanks everyone. I've decided to go with the EVGA LE motherboard to save some money. DS says that they are currently using Sapphire Radeon HD's. I've read some negative reviews on Sapphire from some other threads. Should I go with one the brands available?

Also, I'd appreciate any other feedback from some others on my build. Thanks.

Here's my new build:

Ticket Number: 425207
Total Price with Instant Savings: $1,926.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=425207

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Assassin Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: !PROMOTION: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1001FALS)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 10:08pm
Well the Assassin is overpriced as hell, so you may as well just drop that for a HAF 932 to save over $200 (!) and put it toward more useful things.

Like say a 40GB Intel SSD for OS/apps and upgrading the 5870 to a GTX 480.
Lilim
dustymanhp View Drop Down

Quote dustymanhp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 10:18pm
change the 920 to a 930... and change ur FREE! YES OVERLOCK THE VIDEO CARD to "no dont overclock video card."... uncessary heat!

do this and get that SSD, change to 480 as dragon said, and ur set because ur saving all that money because u changed to a 932!!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 10:27pm
No stay with the 920. They're both the same chip and will overclock to the same limits. Actually I haven't been seeing particularly amazing overclocks and temperatures from recent 930s like used to be common with all 920s and earlier 930s, so even more reason to stick with the 920.
Lilim
krappei View Drop Down

Quote krappei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 10:55pm
I'll think about the case. I'm convinced the HAF 932 is a much better value, but I don't like the appearance. I like the Assassin case for it's sleekness and simply appearance...but you're right about the hefty price. Are any of the other cases a close second to the HAF's?

Also, any suggestions my inquiry on the gpu?:

Originally posted by krappei

DS says that they are currently using Sapphire Radeon HD 5850/5870. I've read some negative reviews on Sapphire from some other threads. Should I go with one the brands available?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 2:46am
Well I suppose you can go with Raven 02 case since both it and the assassin's case share the same general structure, but then angain the Raven 02 is just about as ugly as the HAFBig%20Smile

As for Sapphire, Not even the best board partners can ensure 100% of their gpus are flawless, it's the nature of this business that some components will malfunction, that negative review guy was probably just unlucky. After all Sapphire is the largest exclusive supplier of ATI cards.

justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 8:58am
Saphire has created their own PCB, it is crap compared to ATI's reference design, on the 5870 1Gb cards. The 2Gb are still the ATI reference design.
 Post Reply Post Reply