FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Potential Lumos Buyer - Case Questions

Post Date: 2020-05-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
william_m View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote william_m Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Potential Lumos Buyer - Case Questions
    Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:04am
Hello,

For the entire past week, I've been exploring options and catching up on the latest tech in advance of ordering a new PC to replace the one I purchased from Digital Storm 5 years ago.

It's taken a lot of wishy-washy decision making to get to this point, and I've settled on some of the best money can buy from DS. Ryzen 3950X, 32gb Ram, RTX 2080 Ti...

But the reason for my posting here is that, of the two cases I was choosing from, the Lumos and the Velox, I've been back and forth on them. The Velox isn't for me, due to the inverted innards and the panel being on the right door, therefore I decided on the Lumos, and so I looked into it as best I could. It is a Corsair 570X Crystal-series case, as I understand it, and it's surrounded in tempered glass.

That glass... doesn't that cause bad temperature build-up? Can any Lumos buyers comment on this? I'm highly concerned about the design decisions, and I have been completely unable to find anyone commenting on this.

I am not a liquid cooling person. As part of my AMD system and 2080 Ti, the cooling will be the simple H20 Stage 2 Vortex option. I know this will be more than adequate to cover the CPU cooling, but I certainly worry for a GPU in a case like this. As well, I'm currently considering standard Corsair LL Series RGB Fans. If Airflow is going to be a problem, I'm happy to drop another $50 on the ML Pro series.

Please give me your advice.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2020 at 5:19am
Cooling is not a problem. If you look closely, the glass panels don't even but up to one another. The factory case fans are adequate, the LL Series are better, the Mag-levs are mostly just quieter. The latter two can be controlled as to colors and speed by iCue software you get from Corsair. Trust me, DS would not select or design a case with poor airflow. I have an older case that's not in the Lumos' class, and I run temps about 30-40 C under what would be of concern. If you want commentary, look at some older configuration threads where "HockeyBuck" is talking about his Lumos.

I do want to suggest you be sure you have an NVMe SSD selected for your primary drive. The standard DS one is SATA and nowhere near the performance of any NVMe That's commonly overlooked.

I would also not sleep well if I didn't point out that $1400 GPU is about to be obsolete in about 4 months. Know what's appropriate for the monitor you're driving, is all.
william_m View Drop Down

Quote william_m Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2020 at 5:36am
Originally posted by Cretae

I would also not sleep well if I didn't point out that $1400 GPU is about to be obsolete in about 4 months. Know what's appropriate for the monitor you're driving, is all.

I suppose; I require power for 3440x1440p. I'm going to be paying high for the GPU no matter what, and it's a difference of $500 between this and the 2080. The need to get a new PC comes at an awkward time for me, so waiting too long isn't an option.

Plus I imagine even if the new ones are worth their prices, it would take quite a while for DS to stock them... and for them to be available. One thing you can be sure of is scalping and availability issues.

Edited by william_m - 24 May 2020 at 5:38am
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:31am
When you get a chance, look at my thread posted in the signature area. I bought my Lumos in March - 3950x and a 2070 Super. I selected the custom liquid cooling option, but for the CPU only. My GPU is a blower-style card and doesn't contribute to heat loading within the case; just noise at full load.

Case cooling with my ML fans meet my expectations - 3 fans are oriented by DS for intake across my 360mm radiator; 2 fans are set to exhaust on top and one fan set to exhaust at the rear.

Looking back, I would have selected the GPU cooling option. At full load, my GPU will thermal throttle at the default 83 degrees. I have tweaked my settings a bit and increased that to 88 degrees. 2080Ti will draw more power and require better cooling to realize its full potential. Air cooling will not get me to where I want to go.

As Cretae mentioned, there is plenty of air flow through the case. While working from home these last few months, I've had to clean out the front filter screen about once per week. The top filter (exhaust) and the bottom filter (power supply) have barely built up dust.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by william_m

I suppose; I require power for 3440x1440p. I'm going to be paying high for the GPU no matter what, and it's a difference of $500 between this and the 2080. The need to get a new PC comes at an awkward time for me, so waiting too long isn't an option.

Plus I imagine even if the new ones are worth their prices, it would take quite a while for DS to stock them... and for them to be available. One thing you can be sure of is scalping and availability issues.

I'm not trying to argue, but there are more than just the two of us that are going to read this and have a takeaway. We have a recent buyer that is delighted with his performance of a 2070 SUPER on an Alienware 31.5 inch monitor of the same resolution. You still have 1440p. That extra ~900 pixels is not much to overcome, especially if you went with a 2080 SUPER. That's just a fact for those who don't have the extra $500.

We expect the new line to be very competitive with today's prices. In fact, there is rumor going around they may be a bit cheaper. With one eye on AMD, and the other on forcing wider acceptance of ray tracing by developers, they want very much to get these cards out the door, maybe. The release was going to be June, but the conference they were going to announce it was cancelled, and the pandemic sucked all the air out of the room. The new release will be in the Fall. You think the extra 3-4 months of production won't happen? Delayed release having nothing to do with production hardly means short supply. DS in my experience does not have a problem with newly released products. The 10th gen Intel desktop CPUs were announced April 30th for May release and guess who had 'em last week?

Again, please, I'm not arguing. You were speculating without all the facts, and I feel a duty to put the right info out here.

The 2080 Ti, although overkill IMHO, will do a great job for you.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:33pm
I have a Lumos case with the ML fans and an air-cooled CPU (i7-9700K), and a 2070 Super. I have had this system since Oct 2019 and have not experienced any heating problems. As Cretae mentioned, there is ample space between the glass panels to allow a lot of airflow into the case.

Since I have an air-cooled system, the 2 top fans are intake fans that blow directly down onto my cpu air-cooler unit.

BTW, I have the 2070 Super connected to an Alienware 34" 1440P monitor. No problems at all with this combination.

Edited by Bob100 - 24 May 2020 at 3:35pm
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2020 at 6:48am
I have a Lumos case from from 2 years ago and never had an an issue. Rather easy to clean too!
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Muz

I have a Lumos case from from 2 years ago and never had an an issue. Rather easy to clean too!

I have not yet received my Lumos, so this is a question.

How, or what, makes it easy to clean?

Thanks.
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:35am
Originally posted by John18

Originally posted by Muz

I have not yet received my Lumos, so this is a question.

How, or what, makes it easy to clean?

Thanks.

both side panels, the top and front panel all are attached with large headed thumb screws. Makes it a breeze to open it up and clean out the dust.

I love my Lumos cased PC. Easy to keep clean and very beautiful and the light show is fantastic.
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
Stellar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Stellar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:54am
The Lumos is easily one of the best case designs out on the market. The airflow on this case is insane.

If you want to increase static pressure and airflow, get the ML Pros.
Scambush View Drop Down

Quote Scambush Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Cretae

I do want to suggest you be sure you have an NVMe SSD selected for your primary drive. The standard DS one is SATA and nowhere near the performance of any NVMe That's commonly overlooked.

Unfortunately I already ordered my Lumos with the standard DS SSD drive. Hopefully it won't be much of a pain to replace it with a NVMe one at some point. How much degradation in performance do you think there is with the standard SSD?

And if you're saying that the GPU is about to be obsolete would that warrant me needing to look into replacing that quickly as well?
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2020 at 11:40am
None of the components you selected will give you any cause for performance concerns. Cretae is pointing out good preferences that reflect what all of us in the semi-DIY category have learned. None of the DS systems are like the throw-away computers you find from some vendors where everything is soldered and unreplaceable.

In time, you will want to upgrade the SSD when its capacity is less than what you require. I have learned that I want separate drives for my OS and storage since Windows resets are a norm for me, and I don't want to keep downloading big game files. The OS drive should be as fast as you can get. Fast for me is miles ahead in improvement from the days when the OS was installed on 3.5" HDD.

Buy the GPU card you need for now and into the near future. There is always going to be something new and shinier down the line. Draw a line in the sand and go from there. For me, I only game at 1440P. It didn't make sense to go any higher. Looking into the future, I would consider another 2070 Super or equivalent if the price for performance in the future is similar to today. My biggest problem with my RTX 2070 is not the technology itself. Rather, the decision to not get custom GPU cooling along with my CPU. Again, that was based on cost. I can and plan to make that change in the next couple of years after I need to drain and flush my current system configuration.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Stellar

The Lumos is easily one of the best case designs out on the market. The airflow on this case is insane.

My computer is in Stage 6, so I am not changing the fans at this point. I did get mine with the LL fans.
Stellar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Stellar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by John18

Originally posted by Stellar

My computer is in Stage 6, so I am not changing the fans at this point. I did get mine with the LL fans.

You're going to love the LL fans. They look amazing in person.
Scambush View Drop Down

Quote Scambush Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by GrandesBollas

None of the components you selected will give you any cause for performance concerns. Cretae is pointing out good preferences that reflect what all of us in the semi-DIY category have learned. None of the DS systems are like the throw-away computers you find from some vendors where everything is soldered and unreplaceable.

In time, you will want to upgrade the SSD when its capacity is less than what you require. I have learned that I want separate drives for my OS and storage since Windows resets are a norm for me, and I don't want to keep downloading big game files. The OS drive should be as fast as you can get. Fast for me is miles ahead in improvement from the days when the OS was installed on 3.5" HDD.

Buy the GPU card you need for now and into the near future. There is always going to be something new and shinier down the line. Draw a line in the sand and go from there. For me, I only game at 1440P. It didn't make sense to go any higher. Looking into the future, I would consider another 2070 Super or equivalent if the price for performance in the future is similar to today. My biggest problem with my RTX 2070 is not the technology itself. Rather, the decision to not get custom GPU cooling along with my CPU. Again, that was based on cost. I can and plan to make that change in the next couple of years after I need to drain and flush my current system configuration.

Fair point. But by saying "obsolete" I thought he could be implying that the Lumos line is about to get a big GPU card upgrade or something that would make buying one today an unwise decision (similar to purchasing a new car right before a big re-design). There is no way to future-proof any purchase here except to upgrade components over time.

That being said my five-year-old potato laptop that I'm using now that I will be replacing with my Lumos still runs like new and boots up much quicker than my office computer that still runs on HDD. Of course it won't do VR, or any new games coming out.

Edited by Scambush - 25 May 2020 at 1:47pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2020 at 5:22am
@ Scambush: With apologies to the OP,

My point was the huge price for the 2080 Ti. To make that kind of investment this close to a whole new line doesn't make sense to me. Turns out it might actually be cheaper and better (if $1400+ is the budget) to get a 2070 now, and a 3070 or 3080 (or whatever they will call it) then and end up with better performance and actually save $$. Anyone who has gotten the correct price/performance GPU for his/her monitor will not be disappointed, and will not need to upgrade for several years.
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 10:35am
Sorry i was a little late on responding but they pretty much summed it up. Plus, there is a nice mesh filter on the front panel that will stop most dust/debris/cat hairs(yes i have 2 cats) and its a breeze to clean by unscrewing the front plate, lifting the mesh off to vacuum and put it back on. I have never had to clean the "guts" of my pc yet. Just the mesh and a light dusting of the glass from time to time. The Lumos is my 2nd DS computer as the first one lasted me 8 solid overclocked years and I only upgraded the RAM, SSD and video card once about 4 years into it. Then the mobo went caputs and its was time. Im currently waiting on my 3rd DS which is for my wife as it is a custom Lynx.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:39pm
I really like my Lumos case.

My lights are a bit different in that I have the DS LED's and the DS Stage 2 liquid cooler. Then I have six Corsair LL fans, so I'm not sure that I will ever get them synced, but I did slow down the case LED strip that made it less conflicting and I have the case fans doing a medium speed Rainbow via iCue.

But I love the case and there is ** plenty ** of room in there.
 Post Reply Post Reply