FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prices for samsung evo ssd

Post Date: 2015-03-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stevenopoly View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote stevenopoly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: prices for samsung evo ssd
    Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 3:49am
Can someone tell me why digitalstorm charges 800 dollars for the samsung evo ssd when you can buy it at amazon or newegg for 500?

armyslowrdr View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote armyslowrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 8:08am
There has to be a healthy markup to cover overhead and all the service one gets. I think on my system it is like 30 to 40%. You have to remember the prices per components has to be increased sufficiently to cover all this AND make the company profit to grow.
Apollo "Viking"
I7 5930K, ASUS X99-DELUXE
32GB DDR4, Corsair AX1200i
Two Samsung 256 GB 850 Pro SSD
One 4TB HD
AMD Radeon 290X
HydroLux Level 2
gamer86 View Drop Down

Quote gamer86 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 8:55am
Digital Storm has to mark up prices to be profitable. But on top of that they have to pay the people who build the PCs, they have to buy parts to build them (they probably buy in bulk too), they have to pay the research and development team that comes up with new ideas, and they also have bills too.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 8:59am
+$762 for ASUS STRIX 980 SLI vs. single
$560 for the card on new egg
DS upcharge about 200

Whether that's fair pricing for their support level is not easy to evaluate. It's somewhat subjective

Overall, I would say I paid $1500 or more for my system over parts pricing, but it's hard to know exactly. As it was a $5500 system, it was hard to be too critical as long as support is good. Initial impressions were not the best due to some issues, but support has been responsive which suggests they do stand behind their product

Edited by michaeljhuman - 25 Mar 2015 at 9:00am
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"

Quote armyslowrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 9:04am
Some will say any business charging an amount they consider excessive is because the owners/investors are lining their pockets. As MJH states AS LONG AS SUPPORT IS GOOD !

As long as the product and service is good I do not care. The owners not only have to cover break even expenses they have to have salary as well as their employees...and their also must be retained earnings to allow corporate growth.

Somewhere along the lines of 30 to perhaps more % markup does not sound unreasonable to me.

I am sure they could charge exactly what parts cost for the part then tack on a healthy build/service fee but I will bet there are tax or other accounting implications for not doing it that way.

All good.
Apollo "Viking"
One 4TB HD
AMD Radeon 290X
HydroLux Level 2
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 9:48am
Back in the 70's we use to charge 22% overhead/expenses and 15% profit on any big project. If we couldn't make that we didn't do the job. When we built projects for our own use we didn't spend the money unless we recouped the cost in 1 to 2 years. If you are building a business you have to have a good return on your investment or you won't stay in business long. Or, you sell shoddy products and give lousy service in order to stay in business. The products and services that DS provides can only be provided if they are making a fair profit and recoup their expenses and capital investments.

I am not sure how you are determining the cost of the EVO 840 SSD. I see in the configurator that a 1TB EVO 840 is $450 in one method. I also see the same SSD in another configurator at $649. There is no easy way to figure out the price of an individual component.   

Frank   

Edited by FrankW - 25 Mar 2015 at 9:58am

Quote stevenopoly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 10:57am
Frank I was speaking of the 850 1tb evo pro is around 800.

Thanks for all your quick answers it just seems like an insane markup is all...

Quote armyslowrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:25am
So if you are purchasing solely the part..why ? Are they installing it for you ? Then there is the answer. If you are installing it, then why just not purchase at New Egg ? DS owner also has a computer parts business---don't recall name now but doing extensive search on Google you can find out---perhaps they would sell it more inexpensively.
Apollo "Viking"
One 4TB HD
AMD Radeon 290X
HydroLux Level 2

Quote stevenopoly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:33am
armyslowrdr - I can't understand what you are talking about...I'm assuming english isn't your 1st language...

In any case I was looking at buying a computer soon from DS. I guess I'll just buy the 1tb from amazon and install it myself.

Quote armyslowrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:35am
OMG--headsmack. NEVER MIND.
Apollo "Viking"
One 4TB HD
AMD Radeon 290X
HydroLux Level 2
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:43am
Originally posted by armyslowrdr

So if you are purchasing solely the part..why ? Are they installing it for you ? Then there is the answer. If you are installing it, then why just not purchase at New Egg ? DS owner also has a computer parts business---don't recall name now but doing extensive search on Google you can find out---perhaps they would sell it more inexpensively.

@armyslowrdr, I believe DS started as a parts store. They just moved into the PC building business from there.

I could be wrong.

@stevenopoly, I understood what he said. He wonders why you are concerned with the price of one element. Are you having them install it in your existing machine? And if you simply want to purchase the one part, for your own build, why don't you just get it from a parts house?

Personally, I see DS putting together machines.... 30% markup here, 20% wholesale decrease there, etc. They are selling whole units and the customer service that goes with them. They hit price points that will make them money to grow and attract new customers. The old customers come back because they see the value above the individual cost of a single part.

Quote stevenopoly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:47am
Snaike : Thanks for the clarification. I actually had to read his post a couple times to get it.

Yeah I understand its a business and they have to make money some how...It just seemed like a mark up of 40% is a bit high.

Anyways...thanks again for all the fast responses. This is a good community. I hope to be ordering soon.

Quote armyslowrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:48am
Enjoy your system. It will be a great machine I am sure !
Apollo "Viking"
One 4TB HD
AMD Radeon 290X
HydroLux Level 2

Quote armyslowrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:57am
I found it--the computer parts store wing is called "Tech NPS"

Originally posted by Snaike

@armyslowrdr, I believe DS started as a parts store. They just moved into the PC building business from there.

I could be wrong.

Apollo "Viking"
One 4TB HD
AMD Radeon 290X
HydroLux Level 2
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 12:39am
Newegg warranty vs DS warranty = yukk

New egg return police vs DS policy = yukk

new egg update cost - buy new stuff and install it yourself.--- DS update cost FREE labor for them to install test and benchmark it ** you just can't find that anywhere else!

Buy a motherboard from new egg and sound is bad - replace it with like part or 'maybe' a credit on another part. - DS will fix it - walk you through fixing it - take control of your machine to fix it and if it can't be fixed offer several options to get it right for you.

New egg cares about moving product - DS cares about each and every customer.

New egg offers 'reviews' DS offers forums that actually help if you have a problem or just want to research their firm and products.

IMO DS outweighs new egg on the scales. An egg breaks easily - it takes a lot to break a storm.

I'm not saying new egg is a bad business but you can't compare an egg to a goose that lays golden eggs.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
 Post Reply Post Reply